Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - rendering and texturing challenge

rendering and texturing challenge

General Discussion about the contests and this website. Here is the place where you can also suggest topics for the upcoming image contests.

Moderator: Boris

rendering and texturing challenge

Postby Quan » Friday 2. February 2007, 19:46

Hi,

what about a "rendering and texturing" challenge where everyone must work on the same scene? an interior scene would be nice for this, i think

to my mind a challenge like this could be a great oppotunity to learn two of the most important things of photorealistic images.

i think the scene should contain different types of objects; some wich have to be textured with UV images for example.

what do you think? :)

Liebe Grüße aus dem verregneten Deutschland,
Best Regards,

Jan Schmitz
Quan

RE: rendering and texturing challenge

Postby Quan » Friday 2. February 2007, 19:52

maybe something like this, but more complex:
http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/t ... tips_1.asp
Quan

Postby Quan » Friday 2. February 2007, 20:50

I just talked to Stefan Klein:
Stefan and me could build the scene. we are willing to share models of our contest images like the furniture ("Congratulations" by Stefan) or the piano ("10 Years" by me) for example.
Quan

Postby Yogi » Sunday 4. February 2007, 01:04

Sounds interesting. But IMO should the scene be a simple one.
Yogi

Postby Quan » Sunday 4. February 2007, 21:04

yes, we'll build a quite simple scene. the piano was just an example.

why does only one person give us his opinion? is there a problem i should know about?
Quan

Postby Timo » Tuesday 6. February 2007, 11:42

Sounds like a good idea to me.
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby Robby » Tuesday 6. February 2007, 14:54

Hi,

I also think it's a good idea, but maybe it would be better to concentrate on simple objects or only one object instead of a whole scene with many objects. If you don't think so please tell me :) I think that would be better, because I for example wouldn't have enough time to edit all the objects of a scene. Maybe everyone will learn more if there's only a simple scene.

bye
Robby
Robby

Postby Quan » Tuesday 6. February 2007, 15:12

yes, it will be a very simple scene... maybe like this:

Quan

Postby geo » Wednesday 7. February 2007, 13:36

It's a great idea. I've thought about suggesting this for a long time. I have zero time for 3D these days but I wanted to do more than my 1 hour challenge every three months. I would like a forum where anyone could start their own mini-challenges. Model a donkey in an hour - texture this rabbit - light this tree - make an emotional statement with one nurbs curve - that sort of thing.

No deadline. No judging. Thread stays open forever.

Of course there's no stopping me doing this in any forum is there? I think the mini-challenge place is locked for starting new threads. So if you don't do it I will. This weekend I will think of a 1 hour thing and post it in WIPs. Unless you do one first :-)

Geo

Sidere mens eadem tomato. Altissimissimo.
geo

Postby Yogi » Wednesday 7. February 2007, 21:01

geo wrote:It's a great idea. I've thought about suggesting this for a long time. I have zero time for 3D these days but I wanted to do more than my 1 hour challenge every three months. I would like a forum where anyone could start their own mini-challenges. Model a donkey in an hour - texture this rabbit - light this tree - make an emotional statement with one nurbs curve - that sort of thing.

I don't know if this is a good idea. Simply due to the low number of users here. The thread will only hold one posting. I liked this speed modelling contest. But as nobody votes on the last contest, since then no contest were available. Look for the last contest in the Contest Gallery: Plinths - Speedmodelling session #3. So nice inputs -- no voting. :-(

I have enough time, but often I more like to explore. For example, at the moment I am exploring materials. And I find it very interesting to see that even simple paper is a very special material with a very special effect! So I would welcome a nice, little contest on materials.

Be your mind!
Yogi

Postby Quan » Wednesday 7. February 2007, 21:52

okay, let's have a try.

It's a pity that there are only a few active users. I think 100 of the 1000 registered users are active users... maybe less. I'm really looking forward to seeing some more images in the next contests.
The last quarterly contest had just 15 voters!! The prices are very useful and valuable. I don't get it that only eight users take part at the contest and that only 15 users vote...

But I think we don't need a real voting anyway. The most important thing is to learn from each other. As you already said, texturing is like... so cool... very interesting.
I'll talk to Stefan tomorrow, maybe this weekend we could start the ""contest"".

Liebe Grüße,
Sorry for very bad englisch... mistakes mistakes mistakes... and grammar....

Jan
Quan

Postby Boris » Thursday 8. February 2007, 17:05

Jan that's a very nice idea. Just send me a msg via icq or mail and I'll open a forum for your challenge. I hope that there'll be more interest than for the past two challenges.
:peek:
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby zaug » Thursday 8. February 2007, 22:09

Yes I like this idea too. My input is that we should to try keep the discussion focused and and make obtaining the essential result and the understanding of how the result was obtained the main point. I think we should avoid endless experimentation and discussion along the lines of subtle variations and attempts to obtain a "perfect" result; that should be left to the individual. I believe this would result in a more productive session. Last, perhaps the subject or target material can be a photo of an object made of the desired material with a simple scene to go along with it.

Just my two drachmas,
Zaug
zaug

too much talk already

Postby geo » Friday 9. February 2007, 09:49

Somebody start a challenge already! I like yogi's idea. So here is my challenge - a piece of paper.

I've already learnt the following:
1.I don't know what "advanced light set means". It puts 6 lights in the scene but how the hell do you access them. Where are they?

2.Once you've map2obj a texture that is supposed to be square, it's difficult to keep it square.

3. My notes are mirrored on the back of the folded paper - well the front if it's folded, I suppose. Is the back of a fold the front of the paper?

4. It would be a good idea to have a standard "stage" set up to show off a quick model. Lights and a plinth.

5.My kid thought this pic was cool even if you don't.

6. 1 hour aint much

So go on. avago. My own next challenge is zaug's greeble city.
Attachments
plane.jpg
plane.jpg (74.84 KiB) Viewed 4701 times
geo

Postby Yogi » Sunday 11. February 2007, 00:43

Ok, "Texturing" is not realling what I've thought of, but it is also an important part. Here I've created a fast picture of a sunset. Pay attention: No textures! ;-)

The materials are simple Color-Materials. Not more. All is based on using different mapping methods. For some weeks, I've created my Sunflyer:
http://realsoft3d.turboland.de/tmp/Sunflyer.png
The geometry is simply a very fast generated SDS (around 5 minutes). All colors are simple materials mapped using selected mapping methods. The problem on this technique: The sunflyer project consists of 2 geometric objects: The ground and the plane -- and consists of around 27 material objects! :-)
But for simple geometric paintings, like circles, rectangles and lines, it's a powerfull technique I think. Simply because you don't have to think about resolutions and are able to fastly change the color and other aspects directly in RS3D.

At the sunset:
The birds are made of Mesh-mapping. That's simply a Trim curve inside a NURBS-Surface. But the trim curve doesn't define a hole or something, but simply a place for material mapping. I've simply created a rectangular Mesh with a black material and then point edited this to look like a simplistic bird.
If you use a texture with mesh mapping, the texture will be stretched to met the form of the mesh mapping object. This means, that the picture for the texture has to be specially designed for a specific mesh mapping object.
Attachments
Sky-Material.png
The material used for the sky.
Sky-Material.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
Sonnenaufgang.png
Sonnenaufgang.png (71.24 KiB) Viewed 4650 times
Yogi

Next

Return to General Discussion