Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - rendering and texturing challenge

rendering and texturing challenge

General Discussion about the contests and this website. Here is the place where you can also suggest topics for the upcoming image contests.

Moderator: Boris

Re: too much talk already

Postby Yogi » Sunday 11. February 2007, 01:04

geo wrote:I've already learnt the following:
1.I don't know what "advanced light set means". It puts 6 lights in the scene but how the hell do you access them. Where are they?

Here it creates a level with 6 light sources in it in the actual level. This with the back point on it.

geo wrote:2.Once you've map2obj a texture that is supposed to be square, it's difficult to keep it square.

Why you use map2obj? Why not simply default mapping?

geo wrote:3. My notes are mirrored on the back of the folded paper - well the front if it's folded, I suppose. Is the back of a fold the front of the paper?

It depends on the orientation of the mapping coordinates. The mapping coordinates doesn't has to been the same as the geometric object coordinates. It simply depends on you mapping method.

geo wrote:4. It would be a good idea to have a standard "stage" set up to show off a quick model. Lights and a plinth.

For this I often simply switch to the top view and throw in an analytic rectangle. Make them endless and use a basic material such granit for it. So I have a ground for my test objects.

geo wrote:5.My kid thought this pic was cool even if you don't.

Your first fan! ;-)

geo wrote:6. 1 hour aint much

Yes, textures can be time consuming, more than modeling! But textures give you the possiblity to accuratly define the positions of specific material effects. Think of an object made of iron, with some rust on it. The rust has not only an other color, but has also an other specular light, reflection, and don't forget the bump mapping of rust. If you use an graphic application to create the textures which is capable of saving the work as PSD, check it out! Inside RS3D you can access all levels inside PSD. There exists one main level for the whole picture and the other levels are also directly accessable. Every level will be included with 4 channels: RGBA. So, there is also the alpha channel for each level available. You access the levels by the names you define inside you drawing application.

So go on. avago. My own next challenge is zaug's greeble city.
Last edited by Yogi on Saturday 17. February 2007, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
Yogi

Postby fre_ber » Sunday 11. February 2007, 10:55

Wow, very interesting and different way of using RS3D. :)
"He who re-invents the wheel, understands much better how a wheel works."
fre_ber

Postby Yogi » Saturday 17. February 2007, 13:47

When I wrote materials, I don't really meant texturing. I've thought about the base parameters of materials. Like color, reflection, specular light and all the other things which describes the look of a surface. I am creating something like a checklist to recreate materials in RS3D from real materials.

Specular light eg is only a trick to create a reflection of the light source on the surface. When you create a sphere with a material of 100% reflection, you won't see the light source on it. But in reallity you would see it. My question is now: Is there a dependency between the value of reflection and the value of specular light at real materials? I am investigating. :-)

The special thing about paper I've thought of is the following:

Create an analytical rectangle.
Create a distant light source.
Switch off the flash light of the camera.

Now, when you rotate the view, the brightness of the surface doesn't change! The brightness only change when you rotate the distance view. It only depends on the angle of the light rays from the light source on the surface (If the light and surface materials are constant). That's the Lambert's cosine law. And normal paper has also this effect.
Yogi

Postby Timo » Saturday 17. February 2007, 14:34

Specular is just a way to fake light reflections, so yes, there is a dependency (as they're the same thing in reality). Note that the std glass material doesn't change the specular strength based on angle.
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby geo » Sunday 18. February 2007, 11:41

thanks Yogi map2ob is unnecessary here. One aspect of the advanced light set I don't get - why can you only see the distant lights as points?
geo

Postby Yogi » Monday 19. February 2007, 23:28

geo wrote:thanks Yogi map2ob is unnecessary here. One aspect of the advanced light set I don't get - why can you only see the distant lights as points?

There's nothing special about it. Simply select the light source, open the property window and switch to the Wire tab. Hide geometry is check. Uncheck it and you'll see the geometry of the distant light source.
Yogi

Previous

Return to General Discussion