Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - GI tutorial / HDRI part 2 request for ideas

GI tutorial / HDRI part 2 request for ideas

Moderator: Timo

GI tutorial / HDRI part 2 request for ideas

Postby Timo » Monday 28. June 2004, 09:31

I'm thinking of doing a longish tutorial on global illumination and using hdr images.
It'll take a while before I can get started on it though, as my computer is in pieces on my floor atm.
So, for the time being, I'd be more than glad to hear what you'd like to have included in the tut.
[edit]list of topics somewhere below[/edit]
Last edited by Timo on Friday 2. June 2006, 11:43, edited 2 times in total.
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby Boris » Tuesday 29. June 2004, 18:47

I think this would be cool such a tutorial. But there seems no one has problems with gi and hdri ;) No questions :roll:
I'd really like to learn where to switch the keys to shorten rendertimes without loosing quality :) How to use translucensy in gi?
My iris in a glass-sphere won't be effected of the gi :( The best workaround I found for this was to generate an illu map for the iris.
Is there a way to maybe tell the shader (envmap) that extreme light areas of the hdri will have a limit. I don't mean to darken the whole hdri but say that the hdri can't be lighter than the set limit.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby onyx » Wednesday 30. June 2004, 03:15

I have no experience with GI/HDRI so whatever you do - it will be great. :)
www.bielenin.eu - online portfolio
onyx

Postby Timo » Tuesday 27. July 2004, 11:28

As V5 is (hopefully) just around the corner, I might wait for the release before I do the tut.
I'm hella busy with work now, so I'd rather wait until school begins.
But still, I need to know what people want to read about.
Timo

Postby Karl » Tuesday 27. July 2004, 14:34

Boris wrote:Is there a way to maybe tell the shader (envmap) that extreme light areas of the hdri will have a limit. I don't mean to darken the whole hdri but say that the hdri can't be lighter than the set limit.

I only use HDRI's as reflection maps. I don't use them as lights. I map them to the scene using either spherical or cubic enviroment maps. They are mapped to a user color channel. Cubic cross-maps needs modified mapping coordinates though.

Then I add a global secondary ray shader material, whose only purpose is to add the reflections from the enviroment map. This material can be set to do fade-in (as opposed to steel fade-out, so that t's effect actually increases with distance. Fade speed can be set to recognize a user channel, or assign a default value if none exist. You can also set it to recognize a max-effect value, based on the same principle; using presiously evaluated materials reflection level, or simply by assigning a value to a user channel which scales the effect.

In addition to this, I scale the HDRI effect (optional) by the amount of light the surface point recieves. This is great when local true reflections appear very dark, i.e. in a fully shadow area, and the bright HDRI doesn't look realistic when put side to side.

I'll work on these today (had shellac day yesterday :D), but it won't work on bumped surfaces, and will always appear as totally smooth reflections. I'm told that this bug is fixed in v5.
Karl

Postby Timo » Tuesday 27. July 2004, 16:17

Is there a way to maybe tell the shader (envmap) that extreme light areas of the hdri will have a limit. I don't mean to darken the whole hdri but say that the hdri can't be lighter than the set limit.

Done (clamping).
Timo

Postby Timo » Wednesday 28. July 2004, 14:19

Oh, if someone needs a version with fade-in, I can add that as well.
I'll see if I can add support for cross/cubic maps once I get the time (and can find the site that had the proper code)
Timo

Postby Timo » Wednesday 28. July 2004, 14:48

Last edited by Timo on Friday 30. July 2004, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
Timo

Postby Karl » Wednesday 28. July 2004, 16:31

I've been working on this lately. Unfortunately, it appears that bumps are not yet fixed. This image uses cubic mapping, and curves to pick the areas of the cross map to pick it's faces. Example here:

As seen, it also does fade in and doesn't require infinite rays.

The example project, that includes a few shaders demonstrating it's usage, can be found here:
http://home.no.net/karlrpet/cubic_envir ... apping.zip

Replace the alignment texture with any cross HDRI.
Karl

Postby Timo » Wednesday 28. July 2004, 19:07

Jolly good, finally found raw code for it:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/~zimmons/cs238/maps/cubeind.html
Timo

Postby Timo » Friday 30. July 2004, 19:33

Here's the list so far:

Render Settings
    leave AA as it is, or turn it off
    undersampling can be used in conjunction with post scaling (kinda backwards adaptive aa =)
    turn off caustics if you don't need it

Post effect settings
    blur
      level, iterations, weighting
    brightness control
    stripping stuff (specularity... the blur is pretty heavy)
    scaling (set draft scaling to 2 or smthn, use .5, .25, .2 or .1)
      use .25 etc. only if you really have to... heavy as h*ll.
      using scaling with undersampling

GI material
    overview, what's going on ?
      all the nasty secondary ray stuff, custom channels
    settings
      recursions->render setting recursions
      raycounts -> balancing blur/raycount
      specularity
      stripping stuff
      customizing the material(adding envMap or smthn)
      glass, reflections
      setting RayTracer randomness to 10 (is it really useful ?)

Other materials
    never use pure colors (1,1,1 or 1,0,0)
    using average color in recursions>1 (especially useful with procedurals)
    GI specular

Scene setup
    skydome
      why do we need one ?
      analytical sphere
        hollow, shadow invisible etc.
        color to 0, illumination a complementary color to the key light, low saturation etc
      using HDRI
      don't apply the GI shader to the dome, useless
      envmap
        using constant instead of a constant colored sphere
        controls
        getting the env visible (not that wise though... use a dome)
    key light
      usually represents the sun, fairly bright, yellow/orange
    don't use ambient lights
    inside scenes.
    creating environments (layers->environments)
    optimizing geometry
    baking stuff
Timo

Postby Spliney » Friday 27. August 2004, 22:20

I think thaht a tutorial like that is a great idea. I have some spare time. Maybe we can cook something up? just PM or mail me. I will work it out for V5, put the document in manual lay out, so it can be included :-) Commenting on the tute takes less time than creating it ;-)

Regards,
Robert
Spliney

Postby Timo » Sunday 29. August 2004, 20:31

I'll see if I can finally get this started this week, I've been way too busy with work lately.
Timo

Postby __yra » Wednesday 1. September 2004, 21:24

example HDRI illuminations Image
__yra

Postby Timo » Thursday 2. September 2004, 08:59

Nice looking bottles there... what kind of booze is that ?
Timo

Next

Return to Shader/VSL/Texturing