Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Realsoft Community Materials Library

Realsoft Community Materials Library

Moderator: Timo

Postby MarkusSchmidt » Friday 3. September 2004, 19:54

really good idea!

i could contribute my spaceshaders
----------------------------
I am Homer of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assima... assimo... Oh! Donuts!
MarkusSchmidt

Postby Karl » Wednesday 15. September 2004, 09:27

Well, I've been really busy lately, but I'll see if I can mail some stuff later today. No chance of getting it all done as I had planned either. Some stuff are just too difficult to "generalize"...
Karl

Postby Timo » Thursday 28. October 2004, 18:23

Here's the iridescence shader, based on This one. Not exactly a great implementation, but it was the only one (in RSL) I could find.
If you want to 'generalize' it, just take out surface illumination and geometry, and the reflection/transparency levels. Then use the iridcolor -color for whatever purposes you will...
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby Timo » Friday 29. October 2004, 00:16

Made another one, loosely based on this one:
thinfilm
The code is way more simple (and fast).
Both are 'beta', so there are no docs and bug reports would be nice.
Timo

Postby onyx » Friday 3. December 2004, 08:23

The inspiration for shader-makers:

http://www.3dtotal.com/services/cds_new/v11.asp
www.bielenin.eu - online portfolio
onyx

Postby Karl » Friday 10. December 2004, 09:53

I've sent a couple already by mail, but here is another addition. V5 combined with a tip I got, has made the shellac stuff I posted a while a go a lot more easier.

Attached is a material I've played with yesterday and made a complete gui for.
It's best description is that it works extremely good for adding smooth coats onto rough surfaces. I.e. you can cover up a heavily bumpmapped object in smooth glass. It supports diffuse, specular, and fresnel reflections - all of which is smooth (which can be varied naturally).
Diffuse shading suffers from some (I still call) severe pipeline limitations when dealing with diffuse only lights, but most of the time you can toggle the diffuse component off.

Feel free to add this one and any variations to any download places if it's not too full of bugs :) But please leave the "documentation" as it contains some critical information - for some - in certain cases - usually never ;)
Attachments
coating(removing bumps).zip
Contains shader, images and a help file.
(60.68 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Karl

Postby TheRookie » Saturday 11. December 2004, 11:34

Thanks Tim and Karl, I am scooping these all up along with lots of others and trying to arrange them logically into the library. I find the default library to be quite confused, I dont for example think that steel should be in a folder along with glass called combined :(

Thanks to everyone for their comments and support. Aidan I think the current VSL gui is even better than the TS one there are a wider range of gadgets to edit the materials in a more flexible manner, the curve tool is just brilliant for tweaking shaders. I agree VSL is tough (being a programming language after all) which is why a library is so essential.

I am always very supicious of proccedural shaders like wood, its very hard to get them to look right with enough natural detail and harder to make them compete with even a simple wooden bitmap texture. This is what I am struggling with at the moment, whether or not to include bitmap materials into the library.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby zaug » Thursday 6. January 2005, 11:39

Frank,
First, thank you for your efforts on this. Perhaps the inclusion of a few bitmap materials for the purpose of demonstrating such concepts as clip maps, displacement maps etc. and of course a link to your library of materials for the RS4.2 CD texture collection. Speaking of the RSCD42 textures; I wonder if RS has any plans to update this collection. There are many nice textures on there but many that are pretty obsolete. Weren't these textures actually released with version 3.0 or 3.5, when screen resolutions were commonly 800x600.
Let me know if you need any assistance on this endeavour, as I am pretty fidgety waiting on the Linux release of v5.
zaug

Postby TheRookie » Sunday 9. January 2005, 17:04

Thanks for the offer Zaug, I have spoken to a few people now and the general concensus has been to leave textures out of the material library, the resultant archive would be enourmous and people vary in what they demand from the resolution and quality of the textures too. But it you have any materials they would be gratefully accepted.

I think your idea of some very small tutorials is a good one too particularly when applied to texture maps, the power of some materials (particularly those in the Dabi library) is lost being they are so invisible to the user. A good standard presentation for each material would really be ideal. This is something I will look into as the collection grows.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby zaug » Sunday 9. January 2005, 23:47

What is th Dabi library ?
Zaug
zaug

Postby TheRookie » Tuesday 11. January 2005, 19:45

The Dabi Library is a large collection of Realsoft 3D Materials there is a lot of procedural and mathematical shaders in the library. It is available for download already from somewhere but I'm not sure where at the moment.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby Karl » Wednesday 12. January 2005, 23:31

Agreed. Each material should have a jpg or something that describes it's usage.

I thought the dabi collection could be found at the info page, but I'm not able to find it at the moment. It's a must.have, especially as it contains some great examples to further work from if you like messing about with VSL.
Karl

Postby Karl » Wednesday 14. September 2005, 04:34

Just thought I'd add the following link for a disperse material for RS3D:
http://www.render.ru/forum/read.php?17,254763 It is truly an amazing material. I added it here in lack of better places to add it. I might need it again for future reference :)

Thanks to Timo for pointing this one out to me, and off course those who thought up the idea and actually managed to implement it within RS3D (you saved my day here :)) A translated version of the page can be found here.

What it does can be seen here: http://users.i.com.ua/~komora2/img/dispers.jpg

The actual material can be found here: http://users.i.com.ua/~komora2/img/dispers.zip

[/url]
Karl

Postby Timo » Wednesday 14. September 2005, 14:01

The dispersion material is really nice, although it's pretty slow. I'll see if I can hack it to be a bit faster with some recursion control.
I tried to make a 'random' version of it, but it's noisy as hell...
One small fix might be to make it quasi-random (stochastic ?),
another trick would be to cheat a bit and make the ray components add up to rgb(1,1,1) (before multiplyin with angle).
Attachments
RandomDispersion.jpg
RandomDispersion.jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Timo

Postby studio » Sunday 12. February 2006, 04:28

Hi Guys :

So , what ever happened ? Do we have the collection avaiable for download ? Seems the thread just died , or something ?

thanks
studio
studio

PreviousNext

Return to Shader/VSL/Texturing