Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Paint job on SDS

Paint job on SDS

Moderator: Timo

Paint job on SDS

Postby Ponyhome » Monday 25. April 2005, 21:12

I get the feeling this should be simple, but I can't figure it out. I have a vehicle with curved SDS walls, onto which I want to apply a paint job. The outside (convex face) has graphics painted on, but the inside (concave side) is a solid color. I have gone through the tutorials on scope mapping, sds point mapping, face mapping -- nothing seems to quite work right. I haven't been able to do map2obj, for example, without getting distortions in the straight lines of the bitmap. I don't need it to follow changes in the SDS. I'd rather it didn't, in fact.

Here's an illustration of something similar to what I'm doing. This is just an 8x8x3 SDS cube, bent into a curve. I'd like the paintjob to be only on the convex face (wrapped around the ends a bit is okay -- that I can cover up). Can somebody help point out the obvious thing I must be missing?

Thanks
Attachments
wall_tex_example.jpg
Wall Texture Example
wall_tex_example.jpg (28.33 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
Ponyhome

Postby Nexyz » Tuesday 26. April 2005, 14:34

Greetz Ponyhome,

I'm currently figuring UVs out myself, so I may not have the perfect way to do things,
but I'm playing around with UV sets and they pretty much do the trick for me.
First you select all the faces that you want the mapping applied to and create a UV set for them.
Then you switch to a nice sideview of the door and with the UV set selected you hit "From View".
Then open the UV editor and you should see a snapshot of your selected faces on a gray canvas.
Because the UVs are 2d and your model is 3d, some of the bent faces are probably a little skewed in the UV editor,
so you may want to adjust that by hand so they are evely spread out.
Then what I usually do is open the canvas properties and set it to a set square size (i.e. 1000*1000) and place the UVs in a way that fill out the canvas nicely. Then you take a screen snapshot of that image and load it in your paint program where it serves as a guide for painting your door. You can change the resolution to whatever you want, as long as you don't change the relative dimensions. (i.e. keep is square)
Default-Map the resulting image to the UV set, hit "to face material" and voila, should be done.

Good luck.

Daniel
-New Homepage-
http://"www.richtermeister.com"
Nexyz

Postby Milkdrop » Tuesday 26. April 2005, 20:04

Hi ponyhome.

There is a decent section in the user guide that covers what you are trying to do.

My way of doing this is pretty complex but it usually works well.

sds meshes do not have accurate uv spaces, this is because you have subdivided and extruded the mesh etc. I would make a cube map place it over the mesh. I would then select both the mesh and the model and use the "map to object" tool, what this does is it will translate the uv space so it follows the direction of the cube map.

This usually creates a perfect uv space. If you have round objects etc, use sphere mapping.
Milkdrop

Return to Shader/VSL/Texturing