Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - SubSurface Scattering

SubSurface Scattering

Moderator: Timo

SubSurface Scattering

Postby Blockbuster » Sunday 13. November 2005, 17:42

how can i make SubSurface Scattering material.
I look some web-sites and tutors but nothing for realsoft.
Oh, one have I see, Boris have make a very nice SubSurface Scattering picture.
Is the way to make it the same as the Attachment?
Attachments
SSSJinnDos-001.jpg
SSSJinnDos-001.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 3611 times
Blockbuster

RE: SubSurface Scattering

Postby Robert » Monday 14. November 2005, 03:37

Hi Stefan,
look in your Realsoft folder under Samples\Photorealistic\skin.r3d....that is what you looking for....

In my scene, one light point is behind the ear and one beside the head
Attachments
shine.jpg.jpg
shine.jpg.jpg (33.91 KiB) Viewed 3593 times
Last edited by Robert on Monday 14. November 2005, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Bye,
Robert
-------------------------------------
Robert

Postby onyx » Monday 14. November 2005, 06:42

" Almost SSS, but not quite. " - on Timo's website:
http://koti.welho.com/tmikkola/materials.html

There is quite nice-looking SSS in new Carrara 5:
http://www.eovia.com/products/carrara5/ ... atures.asp

I'm curious about if we can get something like that with RS.
www.bielenin.eu - online portfolio
onyx

Postby Robert » Monday 14. November 2005, 11:48

Hi Marcin,
have you overlooked my post ? It is possible ! ....and if it does not please you, it is onely a question for VSL to fine-tuning it !?
Bye,
Robert
-------------------------------------
Robert

Postby onyx » Monday 14. November 2005, 16:03

Hi, Robert,

yup - I've seen your image. Unfortunatelly I haven't seen any really good SSS rendered with Realsoft. That one you have posted - ok, it's possible, but it could be better I think.
www.bielenin.eu - online portfolio
onyx

Postby Timo » Monday 14. November 2005, 18:01

SSSish can do fairly well if you bother to tweak it a bit.
Attachments
ssshead.jpg
(Head model by Matthias)
ssshead.jpg (5.44 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby Blockbuster » Monday 14. November 2005, 21:40

hi all together,
very thanks Robert, onyx and Timo.
I have try the mat from Timo, its beautiful and respect for the work to make it.
@Timo
where you have the knowledge to work with the vsl editor?
Only with experiments....?! (respect, respect)

regards
Stefan
Blockbuster

Postby Timo » Tuesday 15. November 2005, 08:00

Experiments mostly. It's not that hard once you understand the basics (which are pretty much the same as in RSL).
Timo

Postby Ville » Tuesday 15. November 2005, 13:14

Timo! Could you share your tweaked sss :)

Postby Timo » Tuesday 15. November 2005, 13:29

Sure, once I get home. Please note that unless your scene is in the same scale as mine, you'll have to tweak it anyway. I just set thickness to 100 and made the sss color a tad brighter. The head's material also has two speculars that only show up on grazing angles (they create the white/blue bright edge). If some of you are wondering about the curve in the material, it's used to control so called forward- and backscattering (I think ;)): To use it, untick disable volume illumination. The default curve has high values at the left: this means that the volume will be brightly lit when the object is between the light and the camera (or in other words, the object is backlit). Similarly, if you put high values at the other end, you get a bright effect when the object is lit from the cam side.
Timo

Postby Timo » Tuesday 15. November 2005, 18:39

Here's the project, note that the lower part of the model is closed so that we don't get runaway rays. Use SSSish rendersetting and postimage.
Attachments
head.zip
Had to scrap Matthias' model to reduce the file size.
(13.08 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
Timo

Return to Shader/VSL/Texturing