Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - David's RGB2HSV.realman scripts . Anyone using them ?

David's RGB2HSV.realman scripts . Anyone using them ?

Moderator: Timo

David's RGB2HSV.realman scripts . Anyone using them ?

Postby studio » Sunday 26. February 2006, 07:59

Never ever seen the list so dead . :?: Anyway , I asked about (among other things) David Coombes RGB2HSV.realman scripts and if anyone has ever actually implimented them in a post shader that would allow you to adjust output colours in post via HSV .

No reply . I even included a post shader that David had created that used his code (attached) . I know for a fact at least one person has used Davids code since I found that code in a post operation in an example project file on a users site , but no info on who coded it or when ever came back to the list .

As usual , any info on this topic is greatly appreciated . Thanks
studio
Attachments
ArtsyHalftoner.zip
Davids post shader
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
studio

RE: David

Postby Karl » Sunday 26. February 2006, 18:23

Winter holidays maybe? I have my own version of colorspace swapping that I made ages ago with strict VSL. It works fine in postfx applications. Never tried the realman version simply because I haven't (yet) had a need for it. If it can take Image:Color as input and output, I can't see a reason why it shouldn't work. Just test to check :) Haven't had the need for a halftoner yet either, sorry.
Karl

RE: David

Postby studio » Sunday 26. February 2006, 18:48

The half-toner was just a quick example of Davids's . I was looking at the mails between you and david about your VSL method vs his realman method . I'm actually just curious if anyone ever dabled in this area since david gave us the working realman code a long time ago .

studio
studio

Postby studio » Thursday 2. March 2006, 02:39

Hi All :

OK , found this RS-List mail from David . He replies to a few of my very basic questions regarding his VSL HSV code . Quoted below :

> What about the 'Specular' control on this Gi_Brightness tool of yours ?
> Could you make it also work with the Value 'channel' ?

Yeah, you can use HSV with any colour channel or variable in any VSL
program, post-processing or materials. In the current setup I only convert
the brg variable to HSV, but the same could be done on spec_illum.

Current effect :

Color+=Copy(spec_illum)
hsv=Realman script(brg)
hsv.Z=curve(hsv.z)
color+=Realman script(hsv)

Change to this for individual control of spec_illum :
hsv=Realman script(brg)
hsv.Z=curve(hsv.z)

hsv=Realman script(spec_illum)
hsv.Z=curve(hsv.z)

That's just repeated the hsv conversion but for spec_illum instead of brg,
then add this to the final image colour. Performing an hsv effect on a
channel/variable is exactly the same as normal except for two extra lines of
code; a Realman script to convert the channel to hsv, and another afterwards
to convert it back to rgb.

> What about all 3 HSV curves in your new and improved Gi_Brightness_
> Control as opposed to the current 3 R-G-B curves ?

At the moment I have the z channel only used in the curve
'hsv.Z=curve(hsv.z)'. You could change the input and output types to have
all three HSV channels shown on the one curve. Or for better clarity have
three separate curves for each channel thus...

hsv=Realman script(brg)
hsv.X=curve(hsv.x)
hsv.Y=curve(hsv.y)
hsv.Z=curve(hsv.z)

You can also set the hsv based on alternative channels. Try a curve where
the output Hue is tied to the input Value, and objects change colour based
on their brightness. Or affect saturation by value and desaturate in
highlights, or over-saturate the highlights.

The useful and powerful options for postprocessing in this colour space are
profound. How's about desaturating based on distance so far objects are
greyscale? Or creating vignette effects? Or subtly influencing hues to add
warm tones to shadows? It relieves a lot of the requirement to faff around
with lighting to get the right look; all that colour balancing jazz can be
performed with simple post effects, and working in 3D the options for
amazing (and wierd) effects are massive.

David Coombes
d.g.coombes@btopenworld.com

<b>************* END of Mail ***********************</b>

The HSV code I mentioned previously that someone had added to their Gi Brightness control was actually David's own personal Gi Brightness Contol that he had posted to the RS List if the Fall of 2004 . Anyway , it appears that there are many things that can possibly be done with this HSV alternative and RS3D's many input/output options all along the pipeline . Cool ! This RS3D thing is a real trip ...

studio
studio

Postby Frankolino » Thursday 2. March 2006, 10:05

Dear Garry, hi all, uhps? What is that? A shader script for and with realman? Try to explain me into easy words :-) I have tried Realman some month ago, but have had some crashes under RS 5.1, so I stopped my work with it, perhaps I can restart it the next weeks ;-) Bye, Frankolino and good luck! :-)
Frankolino

Postby studio » Thursday 2. March 2006, 19:10

Hi Frank :

Yes , David Coombes wrote an RGB to HSV conversion based on public C code he found on the internet . He did this using Richard Swingwoods Realman Plugin :D .

Basically , there was much discussion on the RS list about the lacking when using the RGB color space . Not sure exactly of the linear accuracy , but it seems to me I was asking for a "Saturation" Post Effect that would also <b>increase</b> Saturation , not just decrease it like the RS hard coded one does now . Shortly after David released his "PhotoGrey" Post Shader and it had his Realman based RGB2HSV code in it .

David later released a Gi Brightness Control Post shader that had the RGB2HSV added to it , to help with lack of saturation in certain areas .

That's about all I can tell you . I and David and Karl are big fans of working in HSV/HSL/HSconBright color spaces and this code of David's has done a lot to give RS users that option in Post Processing (Karl wrote his own in VSL) . However , it seems no one ever really applied that code to an actual Post Pro shader that we could just drag and drop into our projects , with maybe a little tutorial on how it works etc .

Realman is awesome , but I know nothing of programming , so I can't tell you much . If you visit the RS wiki you will see a tutorial I wrote in the Rendering Section on working with the Realman based Fractal shader that Juha Sinnari created for us .

studio
studio

Postby Frankolino » Friday 3. March 2006, 09:09

Hi Garry, very well! A tutorial? I will read it perhaps at this week end, if I have more time beside my private life! - I will notice that and look after the wiki website. Thank you! Great work (Michael and Freber I am thinking) and very good idea, I must learn enough to understand the complicated structures of realman, hsv, VSL ( I have not at all experience with VSL!) and after that I can do some exercises with that great Realman Tool! :-)) Have a nice day! Frankolino, cheers :-)
Frankolino

Postby studio » Friday 3. March 2006, 13:29

Hi Frankolino :

Thank you for your new Nurbs Helper plugin ! It get's a little better every week that passes . If you do visit the Wiki and see the Fractal Tutorial you can then see the link to the latest Realman whcih comes with a manual and many examples . For people who know the C language it would probably be a lot of fun to work with such an incredible tool , and Richard Swingwood is very easy to reach and reply's right away if you have any questions .

Have a good weekend .

studio
studio

Return to Shader/VSL/Texturing