Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - ShadowPass material

ShadowPass material

Moderator: Timo

ShadowPass material

Postby Timo » Friday 24. March 2006, 16:56

Here's a small material that renders the shadows to a separate channel and removes them from the normal render.
Attachments
ShadowPass.zip
Just drop it to the root of the project and make sure your output stores the ShadowPass somewhere.
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby __yra » Saturday 25. March 2006, 00:56

The good material, only does not on sign of the source of the light.
__yra

Postby Timo » Saturday 25. March 2006, 05:31

Assuming I understood you, that's near impossible to do with a material: each light would have to have it's own shadowpass channel.
Timo

Postby Xtra » Saturday 25. March 2006, 08:00

Err ... but how to use this? Unfortunately I'm a VSL idiot, so I've no clue. I see there's a shadowpass channel, but it's not sufficient just to assign this material to the root of a scene. I need more imput ... ;)
Xtra

Postby Timo » Saturday 25. March 2006, 18:06

The material renders the shadows to the ShadowPass channel and a shadowless normal render. To save the shadow pass, create a new output object and edit the bindings so that it stores the ShadowPass channel. Unfortunately I can't give you an accurate walkthrough as realsoft doesn't start on my comp for some reason...
Timo

Postby Nexyz » Sunday 26. March 2006, 15:29

Hey Extra,

I usually output my multipass renders into a photoshop object, so what you want to do for that is, like Timo said, create a new output object (in the output object tab, rightclick -> photoshop file) and create a new layer within it. Then you edit its bindings and point the RGB subchannels of the shadowpass channel to the RGB channels of the new layer. Then, in the rendering dialog, you select this new photoshop object in the output pulldown menu, give it a filename, and when you hit render, Realsoft creates a neat two layer PSD file. From there you modify your shadows to your liking and multiply them with the image and voila, you mastered the multichannel pass. Also, check out Tim Borgman's multichannel tutorial at http://www.bt-3d.de/div/v45shader/multi/index.html

Have Fun,
Daniel :)
-New Homepage-
http://"www.richtermeister.com"
Nexyz

Postby Xtra » Sunday 26. March 2006, 19:19

Hi Daniel,

First of all, thanks for your tips. Well, I don't use PS but GIMP so I created a BMP_Shadowpass object, then I assigned the RBG subchannels to the according shadowpass channels and got ... a black image.

The assignments look like this:

ShadowPass:R -> Color:R
ShadowPass:G -> Color:G
ShadowPass:B -> Color:B

Should be okay, no?

/edit: okay, forget it, now it works like it should. I just forgot to add the shadowpass material to the scene. :roll:

/edit2: now I made some tests with a small scene and loaded the layers into GIMP. Very nice to have adjustable shadows now. Easy to add some blur etc. :D

Regards,
Andreas
Xtra

Postby Timo » Monday 27. March 2006, 07:30

Thanks for the help Nexyz :) I'll be back on track in a few days, I'm currently recompiling my Gentoo system as I pretty much hosed it yesterday.
Timo

Return to Shader/VSL/Texturing