Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Sweep material mapping

Sweep material mapping

Moderator: Timo

Sweep material mapping

Postby fre_ber » Saturday 15. April 2006, 13:01

Hi, I have come across a need for a sweep mapping. What I mean by this is a cylinder mapping that can be bent along it's Z-axis. Consider the NURBS Sweep constructor - I would like the mapping to behave like this. One curve defines the X-axis of the mapping, this is the curve that is sweeped. The Z-axis of the mapping is defined by the second curve, the sweeping curve and the Y-axis of the mapping is defined by the distance between the two curves.

Is this something that can be done in the current version of RS3D, or better yet, in v4.5? If not, I think that this could, possibly be a useful addition to coming versions...
Attachments
SweepMapping.png
SweepMapping.png (48.46 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
"He who re-invents the wheel, understands much better how a wheel works."
fre_ber

Postby Guest » Saturday 15. April 2006, 17:49

Such a mapping is naturally posible but quite slow to compute during rendering. When possible, it is better to precompute the parameter values once and store the values to vertices (i.e. use a UV channel), then default map the material using the vertex parameters.

Best regards,

Vesa

Postby fre_ber » Saturday 15. April 2006, 20:43

Is there a way that I can get RS to precompute this UV-channel for me? And how would it look? As I understand it, I need to have points in the channel that are not on the surface of the object in order to get the volume right? The material I want to use requires the Y and Z components of the mapping coordinates of my imaginary mapping to define the volume properties of the object.
"He who re-invents the wheel, understands much better how a wheel works."
fre_ber

Return to Shader/VSL/Texturing