Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - 3D Class's First Animation!

3D Class's First Animation!

Moderators: TheRookie, Beg-inner

3D Class's First Animation!

Postby colintheys » Thursday 29. July 2004, 19:45

Hello everyone,

I just finished (this morning) teaching a 16 day beginning 3D class with Realsoft and I'm proud to present their first collaborative project: Stork Story!The class was offered here in the US at a local highschool in Connecticut. The first 12 days were spent learning the basics of Realsoft and the last four they spent working on this project. In just 12 hours, they wrote, storyboarded, modeled, textured, animated, rendered, and edited it into a final product. I merely provided technical help when the going got rough.

While I realize it's got some probelms, I'm very proud of them for producing this short so quickly and with so little experience, especially considering that only five students worked on it! They successfully tackled each shot they storyboarded and finished on time, something I would be proud to have done for any project! They self-budgeted time and each took on a different section. So, with no further delay: enjoy the show!

Stork Story: http://www.ctfilms.org/files/misc/storkstory.mpg

I am providing this link to my students, so if anyone has any comments for these newly hatched Realers, please post them here.

Thanks,
-Colin Theys
colintheys

Postby Boris » Thursday 29. July 2004, 20:55

i would have never thought that in 16 days such movie could be done incl. learning the program. Very good students with a very good teacher and a very good program :D
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby TheRookie » Thursday 29. July 2004, 22:00

I would definitly agree, a great job for 12 days of learning and 4 days of modelling and animation, I was still playing with chrome spheres after 12 days :) A humerous animation that made me smile through out., built on a great idea for the story that was acheivable and entertaining and moved through a good range of animation skills. Hopefully everyone enjoyed their course and have a good taste for future 3D productions.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby studio » Friday 30. July 2004, 04:42

Pretty cool job ! How did the students find learning RS ? Was this their first 3D program , or first time with any 3D S/W ? Were the students already very computer literate before coming on board with RS ? More importantly , I suppose , did they have fun doing "Stork Story" ? (I'm sure they did)

Thanks for sharing .
Studio
studio

Postby Karl » Friday 30. July 2004, 17:27

Hehe, I'm still playing with chrome spheres after 12 years :D [Memory Lane Mode=On]What in the living h*** happened to those years?!?[/Memory Lane Mode=Off] :D

Just getting back on track now; That is a very nice effort for a couple of weeks learning, and only 12 hours to do the job - including the renderings. Excellent. As for sound goes, I can't help thinking about/paralleling towards "The Shining" or "2001 a Space Odyssey", equally freaky. As to provide some input to the students; Pay attention to "timing" - you can learn a lot from watching cartoons, using a VCR in frame-by-frame advance mode can show a great deal how they add twist and skewing to the moving/accellarating parts. Camera moves in this animation is excellent; clean cuts between scenes with no fancy stuff (fades, wipes etc) that tend to ruin a final result. Even touching into more advanced rendering when trying volumetric shadows, something I'm usually not even considering due to it's speed, at lest for photoreal stuff. I'm curious how the cloth on the characters were handled - this is moving cloth, wow! The grass is portrayed very good as well. Just to add some negative points as well; how does the stork look with faster flapping wings? The tree suddenly stops its shadocasting in midair, as if it was floating. A simple tilt of the camera would have fixed that. A continuity problem (ok, getting slightly technical) as the stork moves from left to right, with the same background in both shots. Would have been more belieavable if the background was moved to the left in the second shot, to point out that the stork was now in a different place - had moved. Or a different background. Maybe you "cheated" and used the same shot twice? The positional errors in the endshot is obvious and should have been spotted prior to hitting the render key.

Note that I'm really being hard now, I had to see it many times to come up with this, except for the clipping int he end. My "pointouts" are not "rules", just things to keep in mind for the next project, which I hope will be posted here as well.

Colin, got room for another one? Maybe it's time to learn myself some "actual" animation :D

Truly an amazing first timer production. Makes me proud to be a RS3D user :)
Karl

Return to Animations