Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Steam engine

Steam engine

Moderators: TheRookie, Beg-inner

Steam engine

Postby Navarre » Saturday 6. November 2004, 15:29

Hi everybody,

quite a while ago (something about 10-15 years, I guess) I tried to animate a steam engine, or rather the system of connected rods driving the wheels (see picture below). The idea was using skeletons to animate the hole thing just by turning one handle (e.g. one of the wheels). But back then the rendering software (I think it wasn't even Real in the beginning...) lacked the possibility to constraint the movement of the bones in a suitable way. All I managed to do was a keyframe animation, animating all parts manually.

After playing a while with RSv4 the original idea came back to my mind and I gave it another try. Using a combination of skeletons and some constraints (just a few lines of RPL code) I managed to achieve my goal (finally - never ever give up :) ): There's just one master skeleton which controls the position and rotation of all the other objects.

Here are the final animation
http://home.arcor.de/navarre/rs3d/Locomotion_04_small2.avi
(~1 MB - didn't get it smaller :?:)

and the project file
http://home.arcor.de/navarre/rs3d/Locomotion_Anim_04.zip.

Regards,
Eckart
Attachments
Locomotion_04_small_000.gif
Locomotion_04_small_000.gif (19.56 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Navarre

Postby arjo » Saturday 6. November 2004, 18:48

Hi Eckart,

That's a very nice animation. Are you planning to make the rest of the machinery too?

Arjo.
arjo

Postby zaug » Sunday 7. November 2004, 12:17

Wonderful work Eckart !
I am a railfan as well and have been threatening to model a locomotive for years; I think you have provided the necessary inspiration (got a setup for a Lima3-truck Shay lying around ? ;).
Could I trouble you to post or mail me the blueprint image; I am curious.
I think I can figure this out, but, a tutorial or a brief overview of the setup process would be great.
Thank you for posting this,
Zaug
zaug

Return to Animations