Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - BeagleBot the Movie

BeagleBot the Movie

Moderators: TheRookie, Beg-inner

BeagleBot the Movie

Postby TheRookie » Monday 23. February 2004, 21:54

2010, ESA's Mars mission 'BeagleBot' charged to establish proof of life on Mars has a few technical problems with its return sample software. After unsuccessfully trying to return a 10 tonne rock: -

The software then tried to return a lump of gold that the locals weren't to happy to see go: -

http://www.frankdodd.screaming.net/Foru ... eMovie.avi

Have fun and many thanks to Stefan :bash:
TheRookie

Postby Beg-inner » Monday 23. February 2004, 22:06

Hi Frank..

A really cool idea, and well put together from idea to completion !

Well done m8

Keep these anims coming.. and I have something to Jam for too. =)
Beg-inner

Postby __yra » Monday 23. February 2004, 23:57

Best animation. :mosh: :mosh:
The rotation of the caterpillar - is made script?
__yra

Postby Boris » Tuesday 24. February 2004, 16:33

Cool :lolsign:
Very, very nice done m8 and also very nice and dramatic music by Stefan. How did you made the character animation? I mean esp the running of the locals.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby TheRookie » Wednesday 25. February 2004, 19:39

Thanks guys I'm glad you enjoyed it.

__yra: The caterpillar tracks were done with a simple skeleton as you can see from the following image. The Skeleton was a NURBs curve with a point in the middle of each track segment. I then slowly moved the points around from one the centre of one track to the next. I only had to do this once as all the tracks are the same then I let them snap back. to their origonal position and it looks like they have moved around one segment :) a nice simple cheat. The only script is in the exhaust for the rocket

Boris: I have a technique for walk/run cycles, there are basically 5 keyframes that I pose the characters into that I know off by heart, I will endeavour to get a short tutorial out on the walk cycle.
TheRookie

Postby __yra » Wednesday 25. February 2004, 23:06

TheRookie - sincerely thank for answer.

The witty decision.
__yra

Postby Beg-inner » Saturday 13. March 2004, 17:53

Hi Frank m8..

Just wondered, how you in this case, made the Nurbs points evenly spread ?
and when editing it.. did you use IK or what ? ( To keep them stay evenly spread when moving them )

IK is there for Editing Nurbs curves n meshes.. but can they be IK animated ???
( I mean, can I IK make a point of one curve follow another Path curve, ( and first curve keeps its evenly pointspread and moves as when using IK in edit mode..) !

btw now that I read your post, I started to fiddle abit with 'Lattice Mapping', and came up with a thing to rotate or move a Nurbs curve along itself, ( There might be other ways.. as always.. =)
1. Make a copy of Nurbs Curve
2. Map the copy to the Original, with 'Points' as Mapping method..
3. Select the Copy
4. Open 'Prop Win' and in its 'Gen Tab' and down in 'Lattice Space' Section, Edit the Translate X ( first input field )

( Then object(s) Mapped to the Copy, Follow that around.., also as usual one have to think of having enough points )
Beg-inner

Postby TheRookie » Sunday 14. March 2004, 13:02

Yes Stef,

I'm not sure if I could have gotten away with less points, its quite possible that I may have been able to. As for the lattice mapping, I created the animated NURBs curves first and then did the lattice mapping (if I remember correctly) Otherwise if you lattice map the curves BEFORE duplicating them, it can be confusing for the animation system.

All of the points were animated by hand with simple point editing, as there are only three animation curves this was a pretty simple job.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby Beg-inner » Tuesday 16. March 2004, 00:17

Hi Frank..

Did you first make a Straight Nurbs curve and mapped the cubes
and after that moved Curve points in place around the "Wheels" ?

The Nurb, did you do that first as a basic shape with few points, then add points to it ? ( via changing point count or manually..)
or did you make all points at curve creation time ? or how ?

As I have always been missing the old "Distribute Tool", to spread points evenly.. ( it comes in V5.. thank god.. )
When seeing your nice evenly spread curve.. I was wondering, since I thought it to be hard to both make points evenly spread and then to get right point count needed for good editble Lattice.. for objects need to be evenly spread on it..
How did you come up with how many "Cubes" was needed ?

Also that when spread things evenly on a curve.. it dont take acount the curves lenght and divide that into equal bits.... but take into account its Parametrization... ( cant see why one cant just have the option that only Curves lenght is taken into it..when spreading objects over it, so one can set a number of objects need to be spread over the Curve, make it evenly.... )
Maybe this can be done when V5 comes with its Measure Tool... =)
Take Care
Best Regards
Stefan Gustafsson ( Beg-inner )
A Proud Owner and User of Real3D and Realsoft3D..
Beg-inner

Postby TheRookie » Tuesday 16. March 2004, 21:29

Hi Stef,

The cubes again they were just done by hand, as I remember I did create a few simple curves as reference lines for the paths the cubes would follow, I then duplicated the origonal cube and rotated the copies positioning them all by hand. When I got to the end there was an odd 1/2 cube gap so I just tweaked all their positions again by a few pixels and they all fell into place.

As for the lattice curves that was all by hand too, one click at the center of every cube by hand and eye and then simply closed the curve and job done. The wheels were spun with a simple rotation around their axis and then had the frequency of the choreography increased until they 'looked right'.

Cya soon m8
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby Beg-inner » Wednesday 17. March 2004, 00:03

Hi Frank m8..

Ah I see... purely hard manual work...! ouch...

Thx for the in detail explanation..!
always nice to hear the workflow... so one can learn or at least take bits of it and use it in own prjs..
Since it can many times be very hard to see/understand how things have been done.. =)

You made it visually very good mate.. it worked very well for this anim !

( I think though one should be able to ask for an exact way of spread objects Evenly, in a sw that depend on maths...But that will come in V5 at least with "Distribute Tool")
( But I really would like a spread of object along a curve, that took only account of the actual curve and not how its points are placed... and/or its parametrization.. )
Take Care
Best Regards
Stefan Gustafsson ( Beg-inner )
A Proud Owner and User of Real3D and Realsoft3D..
Beg-inner

Return to Animations