Actually blowing up the pig took a long time. But this had to do with several bugs I found while creating it. One nasty bug that frustrated me a lot in this case was that you can quite easily loose the cache files. DynAtomic stores it's solution in cache files which of course is very handy. Carlo is working hard to solve it.
Remember that DynAtomic is still in betastage.
I used 340 frames for this part which would take about 40 seconds up to one minute per frame. Before blowing it up I had to deflate it first. This whole thing was done by animating the volume resistance. Every aspect of an object can be animated using choreographs. The pig is quite a complex shape in terms of the amount of polygons. And above that there are many collisions. It's a combination of collisions with the floor and the air pipe. Then there's the internal collision and on top of that the collision with the beam. The catapult however, was quite easy to do. First you have to bend it to put tension on the arm. I think bending it took about 5 minutes or so. Releasing it took some more time. This was because I used a low bend resistance setting when pulling it backwards. When I released it I used a extremely high setting to give it great force. But then it needed very small timesteps to keep the thing together. I think it took about 15 minutes or so.
This was only the DynAtomic part. The modeling, filming the scene and rendering took quite some time too.