Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Blender3D (don't hit me!)

Blender3D (don't hit me!)

Moderator: onyx

Blender3D (don't hit me!)

Postby jounihat » Thursday 22. July 2004, 15:20

Check out how fast the OSS competitor of Realsoft grows:

http://www.blender3d.com/

They have already NURBS, metaballs, particles (and hair), GI, effective raytrace, boolean, and lots of other cool stuff. Realsoft really needs a dose of something if it's going to stay ahead.

I recommend to release V4 for free or V4.5 at a lower price (or both). That would win Realsoft a lot of new customers.
Jouni Hätinen

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry
jounihat

Postby __yra » Thursday 22. July 2004, 15:26

Think that blender 3d not yet will soon be able to compete with realsoft 3d. :D
__yra

Postby Timo » Friday 23. July 2004, 08:33

They pretty much have what it takes as far as the tech goes (awesome scripting possibilities, support for external renderers like Aqsis and Yafray, Game engine, proper polygon tools, etc.), but the GUI is even harder to learn than RS'.
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby jounihat » Friday 23. July 2004, 10:05

Timo wrote:They pretty much have what it takes as far as the tech goes (awesome scripting possibilities, support for external renderers like Aqsis and Yafray, Game engine, proper polygon tools, etc.), but the GUI is even harder to learn than RS'.

That's true, and it's even uglier than the GUI of the RS Linux beta, which should win them an achievement award of some sort. However, once learned, the usability of Realsoft is unbeatable, and I've heard similar comments about Blender, too.
Jouni Hätinen

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry
jounihat

Postby Timo » Friday 23. July 2004, 14:05

I don't think it's that ugly, I rather like the lightwave/XSI-ish look. It's also pure opengl and supposedly pretty customizable.
But still, the default GUI and workflow seem totally strange to me.
Timo

Postby jounihat » Friday 23. July 2004, 15:05

It has LAYERS! Damn those OSS developers! Why there's no layers in Realsoft?

Another question: how can I put a picture as a background in Realsoft (or change the background colour)? I noticed how handy it is while testing Blender. I had never just figured the feature out in Realsoft.
Jouni Hätinen

-Fry
jounihat

Postby TheRookie » Friday 23. July 2004, 17:10

Whats the animation features like?
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby onyx » Friday 23. July 2004, 18:19

jounihat wrote: ...how can I put a picture as a background in Realsoft?

1. Select Window > Images Tab > New (double click on it and browse an image)
2. View Properties > Draw Tab > Backdrop > Image (choose previously browsed image from the list)
www.bielenin.eu - online portfolio
onyx

Postby jounihat » Friday 23. July 2004, 18:40

Thanks, onyx! That feature will surely come in handy.

TheRookie: It seems that Blender doesn't beat Realsoft in that sector. I haven't tested the animation features that much, but in the meanwhile you can check this list:

Animation:

-Armature (skeleton) deformation with forward/inverse kinematics, auto skinning and interactive 3D paint for vertex weighting
- Non-linear animation mixer with automated walkcycles along paths
- Constraint system
- Vertex key framing for morphing, with controlling sliders
- Character animation pose editor
- Animatable lattice deformation
- 'Ipo' system integrates both motion curve and traditional key-frame editing
- Audio playback, mixing and editing support for sound synchronisation
- Python scripting access for custom and procedural animation effects

Don't get me wrong. I don't think Blender beats Realsoft in any sector (I don't want to be banned from this forum).
Jouni Hätinen

-Fry
jounihat

Postby onyx » Saturday 24. July 2004, 04:04

The winner entry of 3dluvr "the Gate" contest was made with Blender:

http://contest.3dluvr.com/archive.php

Making of here:

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/134/1
www.bielenin.eu - online portfolio
onyx

Postby Milkdrop » Sunday 25. July 2004, 17:01

Is Blenders render engine still really crappy, like it used to be. I can always remember blender to have the most awful render engine?
Milkdrop

Postby Timo » Monday 26. July 2004, 08:02

It's still very basic, but I don't see why it should be any better as there's good support for (free) external renderers.
Timo

Postby Karl » Tuesday 27. July 2004, 03:16

Ask the user who made that winning gate image, and I'm sure he'll claim that Blender beats the socks off of Realsoft3D. For him, it's Blender for all it's worth, for me, it's Realsoft3D. He sure is able to produce a heck of a lot better images with blender than I am with Realsoft3D, but naturally, he got the better deal of the talent when it was distributed :D

What I'm trying to say is; it's not about the software, it's all about the artist. Throw me *any* package, and I'll still render like crap :D
"It's not what the package can do for you, but what you can do with the package"... uhh, something like that. Oh well... :)
Karl

Postby Xtra » Saturday 4. September 2004, 15:29

I worked fo a while with Blender. The reason that I switched to RS3D was, that Blenders modeling tools are crappy, booleans are (still) very bad, the NUBS toolset is just a basic implementation, the build in scanline render engine has a poor quality and the (selective) raytracing in the latest release is not very good as well (that's my personal opinion!). But Blender has an interface to YafRay, wich is a very good raytracer. And I like the layers (@jounihat: wich is a part of Blender since the beginning, it was not implemented by the OSS developers).
Well, the most important part is, that there're lots of Developers behind Blender, due to the fact that's an OSS application. It *could* be, that the feature list will grow in a very fast time, so that it could beat some non-OSS 3D applications in the future.
Xtra

Return to Off-Topic