Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Classical guitar Machine head

Classical guitar Machine head

Create a mechanical joint and proof with an animation that this joint works.
The session will end Monday, May 24, 2004 - 00:00 AM.

Classical guitar Machine head

Postby geo » Wednesday 19. May 2004, 19:50

Well it's a good thing I didn't log on and see Yuriy's (?) work or I would have kept quiet.

Wasn't going to do anything this week anyway, but I learnt something in both the last sessions and had a couple of hours spare so... at least the other amateur's like me won't be intimidated :-)

I wanted to try collision detection, but I can't fix the gear to its axis, so this is turned by hand, so to speak.

I also couldn't get a hole in the spool that winds the string. The boolean kept leaving the cutting cylinder sticking out. Left it there.

Well George, worked out how to post an image yet?Image

And a little animation http://users.skynet.be/gj/realsoft/guitar.avi

Now for the rest of the guitar.
George[/url]
geo

Re: Classical guitar Machine head

Postby Boris » Wednesday 19. May 2004, 20:36

geo wrote:Wasn't going to do anything this week anyway, but I learnt something in both the last sessions and had a couple of hours spare so... at least the other amateur's like me won't be intimidated :-)

that's really great to hear/see? :scratchchin: that you learnt something in these sessions. That's the main reason for the sessions ... and to have some fun :)
Did you tried Tim Borgman's mahogany shader. Would surely look cool for the wood part of the guitar. You'll find the shader at the daemon site http://daemon.realsoft.com/Materials.htm
The boolean looks for me more like a "union" than a "remove". Is this an analytics cylinder?
Image posting worked good :) Animation is also very nice timed. Looks convincing
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby TheRookie » Wednesday 19. May 2004, 20:39

I think you have done a great job on this the simulation appears to be very accurate and its nice to see a real world object like this animated. Well done m8.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby colintheys » Friday 21. May 2004, 18:15

That's really cool. (and I finally figured out why I couldnt' play the movie. I had unstialled DivX to kill Gain and I had to reinstall the free player :) ) How'd you make the screw? I tried but failed..... I hope there isn't a "screw" button I dind't know about. lol nice job!
colintheys

Postby geo » Friday 21. May 2004, 21:45

Ta folks, and obviously I didn't spend much time mapping the wood. I'll have a look at the mohogany. Anyone done Brazillian rosewood?

The screw is easy- you click the "screw" button :-) Actually it says helix, and the manual offers little help to its use. You click helix (on Construction), select cylinder and the number of points on the curve, and enter two points for the diameter of your spring. Then you draw circles with the mouse to define how many loops in the spring. If you haven't put enough points in the curve it comes out like a well used slinky so test a few times.

You then need to sweep something along the spring to define a surface. The swept object isn't turned as it is swept along, so it has to be symmetric around the sweep path. I used a nurbs circle centred on one end of the spring (and orthogonal to the spring).

Then I stuck an analytic cylinder up the middle. Not as beautiful as Yuriy's, but fewer polygons if that worries you. I can't see how he did his.

Now here's a challenge - how do I animate the string winding onto the spool?

George
geo

Return to week session - create a mechanical joint