Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Colin Theys - THOG

Colin Theys - THOG

The animation challenge will be held for a period of 6 months. The topic is free.
Start a thread here beginning with a description what you want to make. A storyboard would be cool but is not obligation. Post your sketches, test renderings, test animations.

Moderators: Boris, vikingboy, Axel

Colin Theys - THOG

Postby Guest » Tuesday 16. September 2003, 20:08

Hello everybody!

I'd like to announce that I intend to finish my animation, Thog, in time to enter it in the contest. I've spent some time searching the heaps of junk on my desk and gigabytes of files on my hard drive trying to find my work so far on this animation. I've compiled what I have so far on my website at www.ctfilms.org. Just click on the link labeled "THOG ~ Updated!" I wish I could provide a direct link, but I'm html inept and the site runs with frames, so I can't get straight there. :/

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, comments, etc. please feel free to email me or post them here. I'd prefer you post them here cause then the thread looks busy and that's just cool. :) I didn’t post most of my source files online due to limited webspace, but I saved EVERYTHING, so if you want any of the source files for any part of the animation, I'd be glad to cough them up!

Happy Rendering
-Colin Theys

Oops

Postby colintheys » Tuesday 16. September 2003, 20:10

I truly am inept. I forgot to log in before posting that, so it looks like the thread was created by a guest. It was really created by user: colintheys.

Sorry
-Colin Theys
colintheys

Postby Boris » Wednesday 17. September 2003, 15:22

Cool ... you are in, Colin. The animation looks already very nice! Also it's very good documented. Many thanx for sharing.

Boris
Boris

3 Minute Limit?

Postby Guest » Wednesday 17. September 2003, 19:09

Er... How strict is the 3 minute limit? How bad would it be if I went over by like a minute?....

Just wondering...

-Colin

Postby Boris » Wednesday 17. September 2003, 19:25

that's no problem. This rule exists to give an idea that this is a short story contest and to prevent the participants from putting too many ideas in the animation which would be for the timelimit of 6 months unrealistic.
As it is obvious that you have done already a good part of your animation and the storyboard is a short story I have no problem with this.
Boris

New Update

Postby colintheys » Sunday 9. November 2003, 17:42

Hi,

As I am supposed to be keeping track of production, I'd just like to announce that I've done a small update to the Thog Website. Nothing to write home about, but it does include 4 new seconds of animation (don't all gasp at once!) and five or six new stills. Hrmm. It doesn't sound like much now, but it felt like a lot when I was making it!

www.ctfilms.org

-Colin
colintheys

Postby Boris » Monday 10. November 2003, 21:31

I must have missed this comic thog. It's really cool :) ... but :oops: I don't like the fonts in the balloon. It looks not like in the comic books. Maybe try some comic-pc-font and photoshop it a bit to make it look more handpainted. That's really minor ... maybe you can fix it. At all really great. Nice facial expression. How did you animated? Did you used point translators for this?
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby colintheys » Tuesday 11. November 2003, 00:13

Yeah, I don't like the bubbles either... :( Oddly enough though, the font literally IS handpainted! lol. The bubbles were drawn in photoshop with the airbrush and my mouse as a sort of afterthought and I'm still not satisfied with them. I might just take them out altogether.

As for the facial expressions, they're done with weighted SDS transformations. I recorded a number of different positions for the mesh around the facial area and assigned each to a named choreography. Then, I simply animate the weights for his facial movements. There's also a bone in head head to control it's position. The important thing is that all the weights are recorded before the skeleton is bound to the mesh. Otherwise.... well, you don't want to know. Let's just say this is NOT the first model of Thog I attempted! The other advantage of leaving the model unbound to the skeleton until actually animating is that you can always add morphs. For example, I added the cigar morph to Thog's mouth before animating Action Thog and it only took a few seconds. The actual project file for Thog is available on my website and on the render daemon if you want to check it out! Making the character was a pain in the #$Y(*, but now that he exists, he's really fun to animate!

Oh, and PS. You didn't miss comic thog. THis is the fist time I've shown it. Real Thog is fantasizing about his career in popular culture. hehe Thanks!
-Colin
colintheys

Postby colintheys » Wednesday 21. January 2004, 13:06

No time for an update to my site, but Thog is finally coming together. I'm working on bringing together the loads (more than 50 animated sequences at the moment) together into a coherent animation. I have only one shot left to animate (though I admit it's a long one) and then a lot of audio work.

Unfortunately, it's starting to look really long.... All those 7 second clips add up after a while. It's looking like it's going to be about 8 minutes or so. Ah!

-Colin
colintheys

Postby colintheys » Wednesday 28. January 2004, 19:36

We have touchdown! Thog is done! It's sort of a weird feeling after working so much on it for the last few months, but I just exported the final edit of Thog + soundtrack. I'm currently doing a few touchups in AfterEffects, and then I will combine the sections into an NTSC project and call it a day (well, more like 7 months plus a year of fidgeting)! I'm really excited to get this online!
colintheys

Postby colintheys » Thursday 29. January 2004, 05:42

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Thog is finally done. The files are posted at my website: http://www.ctfilms.org
Enjoy! All 3d elements were created in Realsoft, and just about every 2d effect was as well.

Whew. Strange to have actually finished. I feel like there should be something else to work on....

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
colintheys

Postby __yra » Friday 30. January 2004, 01:40

Colin - a beautiful work!
__yra

Postby jounihat » Thursday 26. February 2004, 14:28

I can't get the large version work! It just plays the countdown to 3 and stops there saying that's the end of the file. I'm using Linux 2.6.23-rc2 and I've tried quite a few media players (MPlayer, Xine, Kaboodle etc.). I've even downloaded the animation three times, but all in vain. The small version works just fine.
Jouni Hätinen

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry
jounihat

Postby jounihat » Thursday 26. February 2004, 14:50

And by the way: excellent work, Colin! Just amazing. I'm eagerly waiting to see the large version.
Jouni Hätinen

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry
jounihat

Postby Guest » Wednesday 17. March 2004, 15:55

Hi,

Jounihat, I think I may have fixed this problem (or at least I hope I have!). I had re-edited the animation slightly for the DVD, so I decided to re-encode the files for the website. They're not up on the contest site and I don't want to bother Boris to update such a small detail, but if you go to my website at: http://www.ctfilms.org/thg-downloads.htm you will find the new files. I also have mirrored the DivX install files for PC, Mac, and Linux with the version I used to encode. So, if you have an older version that might be the problem. I think, however, it was just a bad DivX encode, as it wouldn't play on my own laptop last week (which is where I encoded it originally. :/)

Thanks!
-Colin Theys

Next

Return to 1st Animation challenge