Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Animation challenge is now open

Animation challenge is now open

The animation challenge will be held for a period of 6 months. The topic is free.
Start a thread here beginning with a description what you want to make. A storyboard would be cool but is not obligation. Post your sketches, test renderings, test animations.

Moderators: Boris, vikingboy, Axel

Animation challenge is now open

Postby Boris » Tuesday 1. July 2003, 20:16

The Animation challenge is now open. Have fun but please read the rules before starting a thread.

please title your thread proper:

<your Realname-Title of your animation>
Example: Boris Jahn - "my hamster josh"

The Topic is free

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contest runs as challenge. The whole development of your animation
must be documented in the forum starting with the description (a storyboard would be cool but is no duty) all development like model/environment creation animation test and the animation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The animation must be at least 10 seconds and shouldn't be longer than 3 minutes

Compostiting and Live footage are allowed but the 3D part must be the major part. The moderators
will look for this while the running challenge and try to help you to keep it challenge conform

no 3rd party models are allowed

Animation must be for its major part made with realsoft 3d, real 3d or movie 3d

Format 4:3 respective 1:1.33 (Academy), 1:1.66 (Breitwand), 16:9 (PAL Plus/HDTV),
1:1.85 (Academy Widescreen) or 1:2.35 (Cinemascope) 1:1.85 Academy Widescreen or 1:2.35
Cinemascope
(Reason for this is the further high quality recording on beta, 35 mm or
on dvd)

All picture material has to be saved as TGA or TIFF.
(Reason for this is the further high quality recording on beta or 35 mm of the winning animations and
on dv)

The animation must not contain any elements Music, Sound, 3D or 2D where the artist does not hold
the copyright on those materials or the license to distribute them

Moderators are:
Axel Mertes, Magna Mana Productions, Frankfurt, nick: "Axel",
Andrew Berge, Virtual Studios, Sydney, nick: "vikingboy"
Boris Jahn, Contest Administrator, Berlin nick: "Boris"

The copyright of the animation always remains with its creator, however Realsoft Graphics Oy and the Realsoft3D Image Contest reserves the right to use the image on the official website and for promotional purposes.
Boris

Postby colintheys » Wednesday 3. September 2003, 19:02

Hello all!

I am announcing my intention to enter Thog into the animation contest. I will post a complete history of my progress so far shortly, including numerous preview animations, etc..

For now, however, I'd jsut like to ask one qustion. Rule #5 states that there can be no 3rd party models, does that include objects from the Render Daemon site if we are granted permission to use them and give credit for their use?

Thanks
-Colin
colintheys

Postby Boris » Wednesday 3. September 2003, 21:16

Hi Colin,
very glad to see you in. Yes ... that's right that there are no 3rd party models are allowed. But I think if it are background models it is ok. If you take as main model a character exported out of poser I would say "NO"! But if you take for example a lamp from the daemon site as background in the room for lighting ... no problem. But if the lamp becomes the main character like in this pixar movie that won't be ok. So all depends a bit. Hard to say. Main important is that the main part is done by you and with realsoft, real 3D and/or movie 3D.
Boris

Postby colintheys » Wednesday 3. September 2003, 21:45

The object in question was literally a lamp in the background. It's visible for a few moments in the animation during a pan. hehe. I will contact the creator to ask permission now. Thanks!

-Colin
colintheys

Postby Nojoy » Sunday 7. December 2003, 13:57

Sounds great, have never used your software but just bought the 3d world mag and installed, the whole product makes a sweet impression to me and i will see what i can come up with. I usually mainly am involved in maya and digital tutors as a moderator. Just logged in and reading all this neat contest stuff. Ill keep progress posted, and will brainstorm over a short animation once i glanced over the user docks to see whats posssible..... Good luck and Hi to all!!!
Nojoy

Postby Boris » Monday 8. December 2003, 18:11

Hey Nojoy,
welcome here and to the realsoft community. Curious like I am I searched first the http://www.digital-tutors.com . Shame on me that I didn't knew this site. Very nice!
Looking forward to see some of your work done in Realsoft. Be warned that v. 4.2 was a bit buggy :oops: (what the newer versions aren't anymore :D ). So ctrl-s (save) should be your friend.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Guest » Thursday 22. January 2004, 17:35

Hi,

As the deadline approaches, I have a few questions:

1. How are you going to handle submissions? It looks like Thog is going to be an NTSC movie to facilitate the inclusion of my few composited DV sequences. Are you going to have an ftp site to upload to or should I post a file to my website? Do you have a file type / size preference? DivX, Xvid, mpeg1? I think I can handle any of those, but codecs are so flakey, I can't promise anything! ;)

2. Now that I'm actually going to edit together the completed footage, I'm beginning to realize that I went a little overboard... :oops: I'm dedicating this weekend to sound work, so i don't knw exact length yet (there is a significant amount of sound over black screens, but there seems to be about 6 solid minutes of actual animated footage (or composited.) Add in 30 seconds of credits, 1 minute of sound-only sequences, and 30 seconds for editing gimicks and this is quite a long animation.... Since I remember that the limit was supposed to be 3 minutes I don't want to be unfair. I could break the movie into two or three parts and submit them separately?

Thanks
-Colin

PS. The last shot to be rendered is currently 49.5 seconds of continuous animation! ahk

Postby Boris » Saturday 24. January 2004, 10:34

Sorry for answering that late Colin. Best would be if you upload to your host and I get it from there. DivX seems fine but keep in mind also to render out .tga or .tif . -> #8 of the Rules. Looking really forward to see the completed Thog.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Guest » Sunday 25. January 2004, 17:23

hehe. no problem. I've been saving the rendered files in lossless huffyuv format so that I can export to tga or tif without losing any quality along the way. :) I've spent the weekend screaming into a desktop mic on my dining room table.... :)

Thanks,
-Colin

Return to 1st Animation challenge