Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - The Dreamer - a Realsoft community animation project

The Dreamer - a Realsoft community animation project

The animation challenge will be held for a period of 6 months. The topic is free.
Start a thread here beginning with a description what you want to make. A storyboard would be cool but is not obligation. Post your sketches, test renderings, test animations.

Moderators: Boris, vikingboy, Axel

The Dreamer - a Realsoft community animation project

Postby TheRookie » Monday 21. July 2003, 21:48

Project website: -
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/frank.dodd/Th ... reamer.htm

I’m not sure how easy it will be to control things in a thread like this however it is a good permanent record and everyone can see what’s going on. There has been very encouraging interest in the project and we now have four people working on models two offering to help with textures and one on music.

Unfortunately I have had to turn two offers down at the moment from people wanting to model in packages other than Realsoft 3D, due to the rules of the animation contest this would make the animation ineligible.

So far we have Brendon working on the Campfire, Bernie on the Temple and now Vitaly working on The Alien model, Patrick who has offered to help with UV work and Timo who has offered to help with VSL. I have been waiting to let people pick their favourites I will now be continuing my work on The Dreamer character.

I have updated the website pages covering the pre-production and modelling.

Good luck guys.
TheRookie

Postby VRgrafix » Monday 28. July 2003, 23:40

G'day Frank ! Guys -
I've tackled the temple component, and made a "concept sketch". You can view that here:

http://www.vrgrafix.com.au/TempleSketch.gif

Now for a request from the "VSL" team:

I'm going to make the interior of the space very similar to an "Aliens" feel- very old, steel, exposed wires and platforms, Rust etc.

But I've hit my first challenge: the wires.

Imagine a cable hanging from the ceiling in a parabola shape (nurbs extruded curcular section along a path) but I'd like to texture this as if along the wire it gets frayed.
Essentially its a default mapping, but as it goes further along the "path" it gets rusty / dark, exposed coloured wires or whatever.
Anyone have ideas as to how to achieve this ?

Thx

Bernie - B)
VRgrafix

Postby Guest » Tuesday 5. August 2003, 12:14

Bernie (hopefully) got his answer on IRC.

I did a quickie procedural planet, here's the project and a pic:
http://koti.welho.com/tmikkola/Planet.jpg
http://koti.welho.com/tmikkola/Planet.r3d

Timo Mikkolainen

Postby Boris » Tuesday 5. August 2003, 15:28

Hi Timo,
wow ... very cool your shaders ... like always. But what happend ... this one is rendering such fast :P . Thanks for sharing
Boris

Postby Guest » Wednesday 6. August 2003, 19:07

Unlike my other shaders this one is done for a specific purpose and I did it so fast that I didn't have time to add the bloat to it ;)

Timo Mikkolainen

Postby Timo » Saturday 9. August 2003, 09:21

Another material, a bit like the borg ship surface... a bit more organic maybe. Might be good for some parts of the temple or the ship surface.
http://koti.welho.com/tmikkola/Borgish.zip
Doesn't really need instructions.

if the material acts strangely, it's prolly because the bump normal isn't normalized.
Timo

Postby TheRookie » Saturday 16. August 2003, 12:19

Thats very nice Timo I will take that and mark the planet as complete. Then render up an image and put it on the modelling page.

I have a bit more work to do on the Dreamer character that I will do this weekend and then texturing and Rigging. I am hoping to create a weekly progress report on this that I will send to the mailing list as they will hopefully like to see some of the work we are doing.

Updates on the site are some fantastic sketches by Bernie and Patrick on the models they are working on, plus my dreamer character Timo's planet and more to come soon hopefully.

Looking at the organic ship design a nice watery style Nebulous background would be nice for space something like the Orid Nebula pictures.
TheRookie

Postby seabede » Wednesday 27. August 2003, 23:15

Hi All, i have tried to use 3d trees, http://www.irija.com/cgchar/pictures/forestversion1.jpg . There is about 100 3d objects, and it looks poor. In next approach i try to use 2d trees for background trees, and some 3d trees in the foreground.
I have 2 different pictures for 2d trees (one is from the Realsoft distribution CD). If anybody has another one, please send it to me ;-)
Regards Endre
seabede

Postby Guest » Tuesday 2. September 2003, 09:20

hi there, sorry for butting in, but i have a comment for the last msg from endre. and i know this may sound obvious, but i'm feeling talkative just now.

1st you'd be surprised how good those trees would look with a more detailed background - leafy ground etc
next after your idea of 2d trees in the bg, i found that if you parallel project tree clipmaps onto a cylinder - yes a cylinder - the cg shading actually ads a nice depth to the texture (and if you're feeling like getting into the gritties, adding a bump/shadowmap based on the original texture will add more precise shading detail, but that is just more rendertime in a big project).
is any of that of use at all? like i said, if it's all bunk, just ignore it. :oops:

Return to 1st Animation challenge