Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - R3Render daemon related stuff

R3Render daemon related stuff

Moderator: odubtaig

R3Render daemon related stuff

Postby fre_ber » Friday 17. September 2004, 18:27

Hi have you worked with distributed rendering? I am having difficulties setting up my environment. I have installed the Linux version on one machine and the Windows version on two other. They are all connected to the same 100Mb/s hub. The r3rendd of the Windows version worked "out of box" but I'm having some difficulties with the Linux version. I have opened port 10050 for input in the firewall and started r3rendd. But I get this log:
2004-09-17 19:28:04 Starting daemon...
Plugins: No such file or directory
r3rendd 4.5/SP1 started. Host 'Eeyore'. Port '10050'.
Ready
** Starting server for job 152075 at port 10050
Connected to client 'Dell' at port 10050

and this error message in the client (running in Windows):
Server closed connectionand this error message:
(Error:r3frclie:858)

The Plugin directory is the easy part, I added the parameter "-plugin" to assign the plugin folder with a non-capital P, but then I get this log:
2004-09-17 19:35:21 Starting daemon...

and this error message:
Cannot connect to server 'eeyore'
(Error:r3frclie:1500)

At risk of getting technical, I sniffed the IP traffic from and to my RS3D client. To my Linux machine (eeyore) I see my client sending a TCP SYN to eeyore and getting a TCP RST ACK back, this is repeated three times. Then the client moves on to establish a connection to my other Windows machine instead. Here the client first sends TCP SYN and receives a TCP SYN ACK as opposed to the TCP RST ACK as it got from the Linux version. As a response to the TCP SYN ACK, the client sends a TCP ACK to the server. This is the correct behaviour of any TCP connection. First SYN, then SYN ACK and last ACK. After this the two Windows machines chat like crazy to transfer model and rendering results, but not a single packet to or from the Linux machine. I have no idea about why the Linux version doesn't open the TCP socket properly... Any thoughts? Frank? Anyone?
"He who re-invents the wheel, understands much better how a wheel works."
fre_ber

Postby jounihat » Friday 24. September 2004, 17:17

Why don't you try to rename the plugin directory or make another one that doesn't have any caps?
Jouni Hätinen

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry
jounihat

Postby fre_ber » Friday 24. September 2004, 17:33

Do you think that will make a difference? The "-plugin" parameter to r3rendd seems to work. Wouldn't it be very strange if not finding the plugin directory causes a strange TCP/IP behaviour?
fre_ber

Postby jounihat » Friday 24. September 2004, 19:32

Yes, but that's the only error message I see from the Linux side. I quess your problem may lay in Windows.
Jouni Hätinen

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry
jounihat

Postby fre_ber » Friday 24. September 2004, 21:23

Actually, the error message doesn't appear when I use that parameter.

Aha, I just opened an old book about computer networks - the RST reply that the linux server returns to the connect request means that there is no process listening on the requested port. Very strange...

Edit:
I tried to rename the folder, and it you are correct, then I get a different behaviour - now it complains about two missing library files... I noticed that there is a newer version of RS3D for Linux available, I will try that instead.

Edit 2:
Hmm... Still a library missing "libaviplay-0.7.so.0"...
fre_ber

Postby Guest » Saturday 25. September 2004, 00:45

libaviplay isn't included in the install iirc, you'll just have to get it from somewhere
- Timo

Postby jounihat » Saturday 25. September 2004, 08:04

AFAIK, libaviplay isn't a necessary library file.
Jouni Hätinen

-Fry
jounihat

Postby fre_ber » Saturday 25. September 2004, 12:29

Regardless, I'm still getting the same behaviour - and I am not rendering to an avi. ;)

It is very strange, it sometimes manages to connect once, but mostly the IP-stack of the Linux machine claims that no process is listening on that port.
fre_ber

Postby jounihat » Saturday 25. September 2004, 13:02

It certainly sounds like the problem is in the Windows box. Have you tried to (re)configure that?
Jouni Hätinen

-Fry
jounihat

Postby fre_ber » Saturday 25. September 2004, 13:44

No, I am just about 100% certain that this is not the case. Reasaons:
  1. Distributed rendering between two Windows machines works perfectly
  2. The Linux machine actually tells the Windows machine that no process is listening in port 10050

I have been starting r3rendd through an init.d script, I don't remember where I found that, but just now I found another script in the installation folder to start re3rendd. This script gives me the following log:
Code: Select all
r3rendd 4.5/SP1 started. Host 'Eeyore'. Port '10050'.
Ready
** Starting server for job 8545538 at port 10050
Connected to client 'Dell' at port 10050
Killed

Could it be something in my scene? But shouldn't there be an error message then? I will test a sample scene.

Edit: No, the same result when trying to render Samples/Photorealistic/GI_Room.
fre_ber

Linux - Windows Network Rendering

Postby TheRookie » Saturday 25. September 2004, 14:34

Does the network renderer work between windows and Linux machines? Network rendering is something we never seam to make the best use of. I think it would be nice if the stand alone rendering daemon actually talked to an address manager at Realsoft that acted as a rendering pool the the daemon could just utilize and people could toddle along to and use.

p.s: I can't help with any linux questions as I don't have linux installed. Good luck with your new forum linux people I hope you get a moderator soon :D
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby fre_ber » Saturday 25. September 2004, 15:59

Interesting idea - to create a user based rendering park. Let the computers do something useful at idle time instead of running SETI@Home. ;)

Currently, I'm having enough problems to get the network renderer to work between Linux and Windows to really think about this. But it sounds like fun!

(Edit: The Linux renderer crashes after the first connection, as discussed in the thread next to this one ;) )
fre_ber

Postby Boris » Saturday 25. September 2004, 16:00

Maybe there is a problem with the texture path. So you should try an object without any textures aplied for testing. Also don't try any projects with postprocessing for the first. At least no box/effect only use image/effect. There is also no need to run the render daemon on the master pc. Switch of all firewalls for the test.

edit: are you sure that Linux and windows release versions have the same number.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby fre_ber » Saturday 25. September 2004, 16:46

Aha, good thinking. A plain sphere worked, but as soon as I applied an image map is crashed. Does this mean that I have to manually make the textures available to the Linux renderer? This would be awkward, I was hoping that everyhting needed to render the scene would be sent to each network renderer daemon when needed.
fre_ber

Postby Boris » Saturday 25. September 2004, 16:57

Since v4.5 Realsoft uses the texture proxy. The textures are transfered with the first render to each client's Realsoft's temp folder. After this rs checks if there were any changes at the textures else it doesn't transfert them. Maybe you have to chmod or chown/chgrp the temp folder on the linux pc.

chmod 777 on the temp folder should make it for a test

edit : which sort of textures are you using ..... maybe Realsoft's jpg plugin won't work right in Linux
Bye
Boris
Boris

Next

Return to Realsoft for Linux