Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Installation challenge

Installation challenge

Moderator: odubtaig

Installation challenge

Postby geo » Thursday 14. October 2004, 08:58

Hi

Well I've done everything I know to get RS working on Windows, but I can't reinstall it. I've reinstalled windows but it still won't work. Mystery squared.

Anyway since I was reinstalling I took the opportunity to make a Linux partition and I now have Mandrake 10 running fine. You see as a hobby 3D person, 300 Euros is nearly feasible whereas the Win version is not.

So my challenge is to install an application that's not in the distro package without learning anthing about linux. I haven't touched a unix command line for 20 years (300 baud on an Apple II) so it's rusty and reluctant. I'd rather learn declensions of German adjectives (maybe).

I did have a try and copied the demo files from the CD rom and ran the script. It told me it would work but I need to get OpenGL installed. Of course it didn't work. I then found I had to run startup, which told me I had to install scripting. What's the next surpise, I wonder.

So the question is - is all this written down somewhere? I should have asked instead of writing a story.

Thanks for any help
George
geo

Postby Spliney » Thursday 14. October 2004, 09:34

Hi George,

I wonder why you have problems with installing RS3D under Windows. It's a matter of a few clicks and it's done. I know that when the licence key is not entered correctly, problems arise.
Linux can give many unexpected surprises, not only with RS3D but with many many other apps as well, when you are 'just trying to install'. You do have to know what you are doing...
Spliney

Postby Xtra » Thursday 14. October 2004, 13:24

Hi geo!

Actually Mandrake is a quite complete distribution. What you need to install RS3D is TCL, a scripting language (wich you'll find somewhere on your Linux CD), and enabled 3D support. If you have an NVidia based video card, you have to download the driver from nvidia.com.
Xtra

Postby odubtaig » Thursday 14. October 2004, 18:01

Hi Geo, what you need to do is make sure TCL and TK are installed as well as bash, csh and tsh (you don't need to know what they are, just do a search in whatever package manager Mandrake is using these days), also make sure OpenMotif of at least version 2.2.2 is installed. If you want OpenGL to work, it would help if you tell us what graphics card you have.

regards, Paul
odubtaig

Postby geo » Thursday 14. October 2004, 20:17

Well thanks for the replies. I have an ATI Radeon 9700 card. I've been to the ATI site and they tell me I have to run check.sh first to check which driver I should download. I can't remember now what it's checking.

I'll get back to you with any progress (which might take some time :-)

Geo
geo

Postby odubtaig » Friday 15. October 2004, 00:00

Well, ATI have just (I believe) released new drivers for Linux so you might want to recheck the site if you haven't done so recently; there should be sufficient instructions there.

regards, Paul
odubtaig

Postby Guest » Saturday 23. October 2004, 09:39

well as I suspected it's impossible without first learning Linux. So I' ve ordered a book to go through, but it won't be here for a couple of weeks as Amazon don't have the the bionicle software my kid wants (we group orders to save money...) It's not wasted time as I have other reasons to use Linux.

My question is, and this should be a different thread or a message to RS but I'm here now, this 300Euro price tag. If I buy RS and don't "contribute much to development," do I get the upgrade? And if v5 Linux is released soon, how much will it be?

So I'll let you know if I'm ever running. I've switched to Suse as it's a nicer colour than Mandrake, and only 1CD, and free without guilt. In the meantime I've scrubbed my hard disk, reinstalled Win and now RS 4.2 installs. If only I could find my backup disk for the data :-)

Thanks all
George (probably not logged in)

Postby Xtra » Sunday 24. October 2004, 17:14

My question is, and this should be a different thread or a message to RS but I'm here now, this 300Euro price tag. If I buy RS and don't "contribute much to development," do I get the upgrade?

I'm not aware of any minimum contribution to get the upgrade. :)

Code: Select all
And if v5 Linux is released soon, how much will it be?

AFAIK it's for free as long as the Linux version is stated as a "commercial beta".

Best regards,
Xtra

PS: I hope that the release date of the v5 Linux version will not be too deleayed.
Xtra

Postby Spliney » Sunday 24. October 2004, 17:36

what I know is that Linux, Windoze, Irix and Mac are kept at the same development level. RS synchronized that and tries to maintain this as much as possible. Not sure if this means a simultaneous release on all platforms, because the Mac version for instance is not developed in Finland, but in Germany... :wink:
Spliney

Postby Boris » Sunday 24. October 2004, 19:32

Afaik all other than Win OS Versions have to be tested finally and will come a moment later.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby geo » Friday 5. November 2004, 09:53

Hi all,

Well inexplicably I now have Realsoft running under Linux :-) Suse had everything needed except the ATI driver. The config says 3D acceleration isn't available - possibly because there isn't a version of the driver for my exact version of xfree??

Suse also says I have TCL but the setup says no. Will investigate later.

Screen displays in 3 modes ok and renders the trout sample scene. I can't see how to access my windows files from the file loader.

The main weirdness was alt+rightmousebutton which increased the size of my viewport to the right, rather than zooming. Is this normal? Ok I'll go away and read the docs :-)

Getting internet to work seems a bigger challenge. But without internet one gets a lot more work done, so that might be a benefit.

I'm sure I won't have any more problems ever so ... until the next time.

George
geo

Postby Guest » Friday 5. November 2004, 13:30

Hi George,

what window manager do you use? Gnome, KDE or something else. Change the mousbutton settings in the control center if you use KDE. For gnome you need I think the metacity rpm from realsoft3d home page but I am not sure if this could be changed also in the preferences of gnome.
Because the ati driver, I think their exists a driver for linux <http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html>. A new one would be in development because doom 3 is not running with the current one

Regards

Marc

Postby Guest » Saturday 6. November 2004, 11:48

Hi
I can't work out how to change the mouse to work in RS. In the readme it says I have to delete the linux functionality or alt+rmb, but I can't work out how to do that in KDE. I've spent a lot of time in the control centre to no avail.

Thanks for the link. The graphics work at full resolution and 24 bit now, but without 3D accel. This did not install correctly, and looks too hard for the moment. The configuration routine from ATI also screwed up my mouse settings (my fault), threw away my graphics tablet (I think easy to fix) and changed my keyborad from qwerty to azerty - which meant my root password didn't work until I worked out what had happened. I thought I had to reinstall everything!

If I can fix this mouse prob, I'll be working soon.
Thanks
George

Postby Xtra » Saturday 6. November 2004, 12:01

I can't work out how to change the mouse to work in RS. In the readme it says I have to delete the linux functionality or alt+rmb, but I can't work out how to do that in KDE. I've spent a lot of time in the control centre to no avail.

Hi!
I try to explain how to disable the mouse functionality in KDE. Problem is, that I have the German KDE, so I've to translate the menus and I'm not sure whether they corespond to the English menu entries.
Just open the KDE control center and klick on "appereance". Now you can see several tabs on the right side. Choose "actions" here (the second tab from the left) and now you can disble the mouse actions in the lowest area of this screen. It should be named as "Inner window, titel bar and frame" or similar.
One hint regarding 3D acceleration: due to a bad cooperation of YaST and the NVidia driver the monitor section of YaST sometimes show that 3D is disabled although it's active. This behaviour has been fixed now, but it could also happen with ATI cards, I'm not sure. The best way to determine whether 3D hardware acceleration is active is to take a look at you XF86Config file. To do this just open an xterm and type "less /etc/X11/XF86Config" (without doublequotes). Then scroll down untill you see "Section device". Here you should see something like "ATI" in the line wich starts with "Driver".
You could also start a 3D based game, delivered with your distribution. If this game is extremly slow, something's going wrong ... ;)
Xtra

Postby odubtaig » Saturday 6. November 2004, 16:07

Hmm, the menus seem to be different in the English Language version.

In Control Center, you'll be wanting to select Desktop >> Window Behavior and the Actions tab.

Then, at the bottom group (Inner Window, Titlebar and Frame) change the Modifier key from Alt to Meta (Windows Start key).

As useful as a modifier can sometimes be, I <u>really</u> wish they wouldn't always default it to Alt.
odubtaig

PreviousNext

Return to Realsoft for Linux