Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - V5 Linux pre-release is out!

V5 Linux pre-release is out!

Moderator: odubtaig

V5 Linux pre-release is out!

Postby odubtaig » Monday 28. February 2005, 11:25

http://www.realsoft3d.com/

The website seems a bit broken ATM so if the 'home' link appears at the bottom left, you need to mouse-over on that and it'll highlight to 'software updates'. Don't forget to generate your install key ;) You'll need to leave off the full stop and last two digits.

Have fun :D

regards, Paul
Last edited by odubtaig on Monday 28. February 2005, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
odubtaig

Postby jounihat » Monday 28. February 2005, 16:30

I'm still missing "Show last rendering" and "Don't show hidden files and directories" buttons, the latter set on by default.
Jouni Hätinen

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry
jounihat

Postby odubtaig » Monday 28. February 2005, 17:35

If by "Show last rendering" you mean in the view windows, that's "Show backup" from the right-click >> render window.

As for the file-selection, I believe the Realsoft team are looking into using QT in future releases of Realsoft3D which would include using the QT style file selection; it's probably not worth their while, for the moment, rewriting sections of the software that are going to be replaced anyway when most of their concentration has been on gettting a first full release out.

regards, Paul
odubtaig

Postby jounihat » Monday 28. February 2005, 18:13

odubtaig wrote:If by "Show last rendering" you mean in the view windows, that's "Show backup" from the right-click >> render window.

Ok, but I've got a weird problem with it: the backup screenshot just flashes on the screen, but if I hide the program and bring it up again, the backup becomes visible.

As for the file-selection, I believe the Realsoft team are looking into using QT in future releases of Realsoft3D which would include using the QT style file selection; it's probably not worth their while, for the moment, rewriting sections of the software that are going to be replaced anyway when most of their concentration has been on gettting a first full release out.

Ok again, but knowing Realsoft how soon is this going to happen? Making a button which hides all files and directories with a name starting with a dot doesn't sound like a task that's going to need a lot of rewriting.
Jouni Hätinen

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry
jounihat

Postby Guest » Monday 28. February 2005, 18:27

About Qt, I am not sure if Qt exists for SGI Irix. We are not alone. Their exists not only Window, Linux and MacOS X. Think about portability. And think about the costs, if you have to licence a programing libary for four operating systems. But licencing differs.

Postby odubtaig » Monday 28. February 2005, 18:42

jounihat wrote:
odubtaig wrote:If by "Show last rendering" you mean in the view windows, that's "Show backup" from the right-click >> render window.

Ok, but I've got a weird problem with it: the backup screenshot just flashes on the screen, but if I hide the program and bring it up again, the backup becomes visible.

Works fine for me, make sure you use raytrace+backup when rendering or it won't actually store the image in memory in any permanent way.

As for QT, it doesn't exist for IRIX, but there was some discussion about changing the GUI toolkit for the Linux version a while back.

regards, Paul
odubtaig

Postby jounihat » Monday 28. February 2005, 18:55

odubtaig wrote:Works fine for me, make sure you use raytrace+backup when rendering or it won't actually store the image in memory in any permanent way.

Ok, works now. I just always use that small picture (High quality photo-realistic rendering) on the right side of the screen. Never knew what that meant exactly :?

Is there a way to change that small picture to mean raytrace+backup?
Jouni Hätinen

-Fry
jounihat

Postby geo » Monday 28. February 2005, 20:05

Hi
I don't find a link anywhere to a new version in Software Updates. Am I thick, or is "pre-release" not for the unwashed (or both)?

Geo
geo

Postby odubtaig » Monday 28. February 2005, 20:29

It should be pretty obvious, as in the first link in the page labelled 5.1.11. If you're having problems accessing it you should probably contact Realsoft directly. You haven't gone in the IRIX section by accident or anything have you? Seems like a pretty weird thing to happen.

regards, Paul
odubtaig

Postby odubtaig » Monday 28. February 2005, 21:29

As an asides, how are people finding the stability? Which distribution of Linux are you using? Might be good to get a list of known-to-work-well distros.

jounihat wrote:I just always use that small picture (High quality photo-realistic rendering) on the right side of the screen. Never knew what that meant exactly :?

Is there a way to change that small picture to mean raytrace+backup?
Well, I'm not entirely sure this would work, but it appears to be run by a macro labelled "view:ray trace". I guess you could do something similar to Marc's OpenGL Wireframe hack (couple of threads down) with it.

regards, Paul
odubtaig

Postby Xtra » Tuesday 1. March 2005, 14:04

Hm, some issues after 10 minutes of testing:

- I still can't import OBJ files. RS allways crashes.
- when I try to render an (old) image with Timos AO shader, RS crashes. Maybe it will help when I reassign the shader to the objects.
- still the ugly Motif GUI, but that's not so important.
Xtra

Postby Guest » Tuesday 1. March 2005, 14:40

Many people seems to have a problem with the look of the GUI. What I ask myself is, look you at the gui or at what you create in the view window. I've heard from people which use RM/Povray/Mentalray and don't have any GUI for creating CGI, they use command line, texteditors, unix pipelines, big ASCII files and sometimes a c/c++ compiler or scripting language. I don't have a problem with the gui. Sorry, but I can't read this anymore. I have QT at my desktop and thats enough for me. :evil: Please, I mean this nonpersonal.

About your OBJ file. Did you test it with an other application, if you can load in that one into it?

Postby jounihat » Tuesday 1. March 2005, 17:30

methamorpheus wrote:Many people seems to have a problem with the look of the GUI. What I ask myself is, look you at the gui or at what you create in the view window. I've heard from people which use RM/Povray/Mentalray and don't have any GUI for creating CGI, they use command line, texteditors, unix pipelines, big ASCII files and sometimes a c/c++ compiler or scripting language. I don't have a problem with the gui. Sorry, but I can't read this anymore. I have QT at my desktop and thats enough for me. :evil: Please, I mean this nonpersonal.

I bet you haven't used V5 with 1600x1200 resolution, because then you would know that the GUI sucks and is totally unusable. The icons are plain and small, so that you can't recognize what they try to represent. In the Selection window there are 12 icons, and if you want to use them, you must just quess which button is which. Brighter colours, and clear forms in icons are indeed needed.

If you want to use CLI for CGI, you don't buy Realsoft. You buy a product with better CLI support.
Jouni Hätinen

-Fry
jounihat

Postby Guest » Wednesday 2. March 2005, 08:00

The truth is I use a visible screen layout of 3200 pixel in the x direction and 1200 pixel in the y direction and my z-buffer is 24bit. Any questions? :lol:

Postby Xtra » Wednesday 2. March 2005, 13:56

About your OBJ file. Did you test it with an other application, if you can load in that one into it?

I don't know. I don't have any other software installed at the moment wich would be able to read OBJ files. But I exported a tree generated with XFrog and tried to import it into RS3D - with the same result, RS crashed. I had this problem with 4.5, too.

Regards,
Andreas
Xtra

Next

Return to Realsoft for Linux