Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Stable distros for Version 5?

Stable distros for Version 5?

Moderator: odubtaig

which free distribution?

Postby Boris » Sunday 12. December 2004, 11:30

I've used SuSE for long time now (since v5.x). At work I run an apache and a samba server on it and at home I run it as router and internet pc (mail , irc). After I got some new hardware I've got now my dual Athlon 2 x 1.5 GHz free for use as router/gateway and I'd like to use it also as render server. I've installed already the SuSE 9.1 super slim edition which you can download the iso for one cd from the SuSE website. But I'm not very happy with it. I'm downloading now fedora/redhat. What are your opinions about it? Are there better distributions? What I'm looking for is a system which I can update time by time and not get every half year a new distribution for 80 Euro. That's more expensive than windows with the time. I've spent all my money for my new hardware to built my new main PC and am looking if possible for a free distribution. :wink:
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Milkdrop » Sunday 12. December 2004, 12:58

I use redhat and damnsmalllinux. I only use damnsmalllinux if i have to reformat my machine and i have to quickly browse the net etc.

I find that my pc seems to be so much faster when i am using xp than redhat. I should really do some realsoft tests.
Milkdrop

Postby Guest » Sunday 12. December 2004, 21:50

I've found Fedora fairly easy for a linux newbie - the forumites here always know where to send me for solutions :-) Realsoft runs without problems, and it doesn't screw up my hardware as knoppix and Suse did. the development looks dynamic and forever free by philosophy. It's not very good friends with the Windows partition though.

Now I wonder if I'm logged in or this will be by guest?
George

Postby MacSlow » Monday 13. December 2004, 02:38

I also can confirm that Fedora Core (using final release of version 3) is very troublefree. I'm using it on 3 desktop systems, one server-box and a notebook. Regarding proper src.rpms and precompiled rpms... there is this very nice site http://freshrpms.net where you can get the most "important" 3rd party programs and libraries which are not included with the standard distribution of Fedora Core for whatever reasons.

Best regards...

MacSlow
MacSlow

Postby Guest » Monday 13. December 2004, 13:50

Hi, if you need RPMs for multimedia applications or the applications itself look at http://rpm.livna.org/ . They provide many things for a nicer desktop life with FC1/2/3. Their is also a manual for the rpm package manager to install the packages they provide. (You need to add a signature file for their RPMs before you can install.)
Regards Marc

Postby jounihat » Monday 13. December 2004, 17:34

FC3 is quite cool, not my style, but it's very easy to use and extremely professional considering that it's completely free. Another good choice for a desktop Linux is Mandrake, because the Official version is always released to public download couple of weeks after the actual release date.

However, if you want to have a totally up-to-date distribution, Gentoo would be a good choice. The installation can be quite pain in the bottom, but as soon as it's over, the system is extremely easy to update and maintain, mostly because you never have to install it again (the whole system and all programs are upgraded through the Portage system with a single "emerge world" command). There should also be a graphical installer in the next release of Gentoo, probably announced early next year.
Jouni Hätinen

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry
jounihat

Stable distros for Version 5?

Postby odubtaig » Wednesday 2. March 2005, 23:25

As it is, I'd like to set up a list of known stable distros for running V5 of Realsoft 3D. Comment here with your distro, distro version and how stable it appears to be, and I want to know if it's the pro version, whether you've made any alterations to the kernel, if you had to change anything including settings, kernel option or software packages.

Hopefully, with enough replies, people will know in advance if they're going to have problems with a particular distro.

If you've replied in the other thread I started, or on the linux mailing then I'll be collating that information tomorrow, right now I need to get some sleep :wink:

regards, Paul
odubtaig

Postby Yogi » Wednesday 2. March 2005, 23:35

I don't think, that the distro itself makes a big difference. You simply have to install the right modules. Especially the OpenGL-System.
Yogi

Postby odubtaig » Wednesday 2. March 2005, 23:50

Actually it can make a big difference as different distros use different kernel versions, X-Windows versions, KDE and Gnome versions and may either use OpenMotif or LessTif (which can really affect the interface performance), may or may not implement SELinux, exec-shield, prelink and may or may not use the legacy VA layout. All of this can affect software in a number of different ways and if I, and others, hadn't found the distribution used affected stability and performance in the past I wouldn't be saking this question.

regards, Paul
odubtaig

Postby Guest » Thursday 3. March 2005, 06:56

Hey good, I thought yesterday about such a topic. About Linux distros, Realsoft Oy has tested the current pre-V5 with RedHat 8.0 and Fedora Core 3.
Regards Marc

Postby Timo » Thursday 3. March 2005, 08:16

SUSE 9.2 seems to be working fine.
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby Guest » Thursday 3. March 2005, 10:33

I used it in Fedora core -1 , I had to update it with Active TCL and mesa 3d, now it is working smoothly till now. No problems while installing or running for version 5. But before that I installed version 4.5 and I had the crashes when i used different image formats other than .bmp but after that i removed the .psd plugin from plugin directory and things got sorted out. Now here in version 5 i am having problem reading older windows based .r3d files, it says cannnot read gif files are so.

Rajdep

Postby Xtra » Thursday 3. March 2005, 14:23

SUSE 9.2 seems to be working fine.

Hi Timo,

Did you ever try to import an obj file? I also use SUSE 9.2 and I'm not sure whether this distribution will cause my problems regarding obj import.

Andreas
Xtra

Postby Guest » Friday 4. March 2005, 13:24

Hi, updated from FC2 to FC3. The update itself runs with out any problems. Only the custom things I´ve done, have needed some manual work. The livna rpms makes desktop live very comfortable. Just a nice distribution.

Postby Yogi » Saturday 5. March 2005, 23:27

SuSE8.0 doesn't work, because the X-Server doesn't provide Double-Buffering. But you absolutly need a X-Server with Double-Buffering for Realsoft3D.

As a render-slave, most distros should work out of the box I think. I've installed it on an actual Debian/Testing. I only had to put the motif-lib into the Realsoft3D-directory and start a X-Server with Double-Buffering on the client.
Yogi

Next

Return to Realsoft for Linux