Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Speed Modelling Session #1 : Tools

Speed Modelling Session #1 : Tools

Every two weeks we will start a new Speed Modelling Session. The modelling time will be a fixed, but typically between 1 and 4 hours depending on the subject of the topic.
Threads in this forum can be only opened by the moderators. Post your entry as a reply in the thread containing the session.
The modelling time will be fixed but texturing and Rendering time will be free.
It would be nice if the Models are included with the entry for publishing in the download area of the Render Daemon, however if you would like to keep the model private simply include a wireframe rendering as a part of the entry.
Voting for the winner will be in the contest gallery open for all registered users.

Moderators: Boris, TheRookie

Postby __yra » Thursday 16. December 2004, 01:12

my model - this mesh for cribble macadam on construction site :D
__yra

Real world screwdriver

Postby geo » Thursday 16. December 2004, 11:09

Well these tools are all very nice, but you guys obviously never touch the things in real life :-)

I found this one on the floor - the wife uses it for opening cans. It should be covered in paint. The head was much nicer but I buggered up the model then saved it chiz swiz - I modelled it on a small shaft then scaled the whole object instead of just the shaft. Can't work out how to get chrome to work either. If I get time I'll work more on materials and show a close up of the ruined head. Unfortunately I have to go on holidays again.

Modelled in 40 mins.

http://users.skynet.be/gj/realsoft/scewdriver.zip (RS 4.2)

George
Attachments
screwdriver.jpg
screwdriver.jpg (82.41 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
geo

Re: Real world screwdriver

Postby Boris » Thursday 16. December 2004, 18:03

geo wrote:Well these tools are all very nice, but you guys obviously never touch the things in real life :-)

:snooty: that sounds like "you are computer worms and not able to use tools". Phhht ... I use my Makita always to open the computer cases and also I have got a screwdriver to open my beerbottles. Though I don't understand why all my friends run away if I take a hammer in the hand :oops:
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Spliney » Thursday 16. December 2004, 21:37

Just for you Geo, I rendered my hammer again.. this time I worked on the texture as well, so now it looks more used :)
Attachments
hammer.jpg
hammer.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 3039 times
Spliney

Postby zaug » Friday 17. December 2004, 03:22

yra,
was the screen( mesh ) done with an equation ? if not, care to tell how ?

Zaug
zaug

Postby __yra » Friday 17. December 2004, 17:08

zaug - mesh I prototyped hand :)
__yra

Postby geo » Friday 17. December 2004, 21:57

the crime lab could still find traces of blood in the rust on that hammer :-)

See you all next year. I'm going home for Christmas - to a country where it's illegal to make a beer container that requires a tool for entry.
George
geo

Postby Karl » Sunday 19. December 2004, 18:53

Man, I just love that bent screw driver - or can opener tool :D

Here is my humble attempt at speed modelling. The result after one hour in the corner of the "finished" version - not going to work anymore with it anyway.

It's a screwdriver you can use a hammer on to get it working, not sure what it is called. Also has a few bits and a nice felted (?) box for preservation. The tool itself was done in about 15-20 minutes, so I started on the box as well. However, I started off by assigning egde roundness (free or round) from the beginning, and this caused the object to be very bizarre to work with - nothing ever came out as expected, requirering lots and lots of egde editing. So it took a _lot_ longer than I anticipated - a little more than a day on and off including a lot of experiments with shaders.

The tool is nurbs and sds, very basic stuff. The bits are sds. The box felt is one sds, with a covering sds plastic box outside. Materials for the tool itself consist of steel, anisotropic speculars (on steel), bitmapped bumps for the "grips", and plastic. The felt (?) is rough oren-nayar-blinn with some tiny amount of noise bumps.

Oh, and... Hrrmmpphh - I forgot to turn on the material for the bits... Oh well..

All in all, I learned a lot from this, especially how egde rounding works, and how not to do it until the poly model is finished. NEVER assign all as free. Assign ALL as round, always, THEN start tweaking the other egdes even if it can be a lot of them :)
Attachments
speedmodel_hammerdriver.jpg
speedmodel_hammerdriver.jpg (74.43 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
Karl

Postby TheRookie » Monday 20. December 2004, 18:55

Yes very nice work Geo, I never used my tools to open paint cans though, but then again I also never paint anything :) Nice update on the hammer rob it looks like you've been hammering Geo's bucket of paint open ;)

Cool model Karl nice quality tool there, do you have a wireframe or project file you could post for it m8?
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby __yra » Monday 20. December 2004, 20:14

Karl - BEST WORK!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
__yra

Postby Karl » Tuesday 21. December 2004, 07:50

Thanks. My computer is currently rendering (something else), but I'll have to clean up the project file first - maybe finish up the bits which I just realized are all equal :) When it's done I'll upload a version and link to it. But it's hard to find time these days :p
Karl

Postby Milkdrop » Thursday 23. December 2004, 18:14

Well here is my entry.

I have gone all out with the presentation of this one.

I have made a set of allen keys. The modelling took 15 minutes. The shader took about 20 minutes to perfect it. The scene took 5 mins to create. I have used the following features:

HDRI
MY FAKE GI (for version 4.2)
4 point light setup
fake soft shadows
Depth of field

I am pretty pleased with the results. It looks pretty realistic, in my opinion.

I shall make it downloadable later on.
Milkdrop

Postby O'DA » Friday 24. December 2004, 14:22

[quote="O'DA"]
I made these cheerful pictures in the version 4.5. I hope they to you will

Modelling time:Hardly there is less hour

Modelling time:Seven minutes

Modelling time:Five minutes and one cigarette:)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
O'DA

Postby __yra » Friday 24. December 2004, 16:34

O'DA - :lol: :clap: wittily!
__yra

Postby Milkdrop » Friday 24. December 2004, 19:03

Hey O'DA, those models are brilliant. My favorite is the titanic one. That has alot of thought put behind it. I really like it.

Im just wondering, do you work for realsoft?
Milkdrop

PreviousNext

Return to Speed Modelling