Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Speed Modelling Session #2: Timepieces

Speed Modelling Session #2: Timepieces

Every two weeks we will start a new Speed Modelling Session. The modelling time will be a fixed, but typically between 1 and 4 hours depending on the subject of the topic.
Threads in this forum can be only opened by the moderators. Post your entry as a reply in the thread containing the session.
The modelling time will be fixed but texturing and Rendering time will be free.
It would be nice if the Models are included with the entry for publishing in the download area of the Render Daemon, however if you would like to keep the model private simply include a wireframe rendering as a part of the entry.
Voting for the winner will be in the contest gallery open for all registered users.

Moderators: Boris, TheRookie

Zeiteisen

Postby Yogi » Wednesday 26. January 2005, 22:03

Ok, here it is, my fist entry.

Version: Realsoft3D V5.1 - Windows
Modeltime: aprox. 1:15 hours
SceneSetup (Perspective and camera-setup(Flashlight, Filmsensitivity): aprox. 20 minutes

The modeltime could be faster, but, I've 2 hours, so, why I should speed up? ;-)
The object is directly placed on ground.

The idea is based on the german slang for wrist watches: "Zeiteisen". Directly translated to english: "time iron". Dont't know if this works in english.

You can download the project file directly here:
http://realsoft3d.turboland.de/project-files/Zeiteisen.r3d
Attachments
Zeiteisen.jpg
Zeiteisen.jpg (21.14 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Yogi

Postby TheRookie » Wednesday 26. January 2005, 23:58

A very good round! Cool entries by everyone and its been great seeing it come along, I've been a bit late doing mine due to tidying up a couple of other things.

Cobolt pocket watch
Modelling time 2 hours

I could have done with a bit more time to tweak things together. Align the digits and generally tweak the shape about but I will tidy this up and post the model with materials and tweaks at the end of the compo to keep things fair.
Attachments
CobaltPocketWatch.jpg
CobaltPocketWatch.jpg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby TheRookie » Thursday 27. January 2005, 17:58

Cool job Yogi, I had thought about doing an abstract work too but yours is a very good concept! Nice job!
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby __yra » Thursday 27. January 2005, 18:14

TheRookie - very good work :clap:
__yra

Postby zaug » Thursday 27. January 2005, 18:29

Thank you Yogi,
I have a clever moment on occasion. I kind of need to give credit to Yra as his wonderful DaVinci clock inspired me to google the history of timekeeeping and this is were it has gone so far.

Cheers,
Zaug
zaug

Postby Boris » Friday 28. January 2005, 20:04

argghh .. I wanted to disqualify Frank's entry because of useing textures but that's geometry ... that's a very nice entry . I'm still waiting for the sundial. If you need a software to calculate the shadows of it have a look here: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/blateyron/sundi ... index.html
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Milkdrop » Friday 28. January 2005, 22:01

thats great work frank, really really nice use of modelling.
Milkdrop

Postby Admin » Saturday 29. January 2005, 21:17

this session is closed :closed:
thanks for those cool entries
Admin
Site Admin

Sundial?

Postby Yogi » Saturday 29. January 2005, 23:22

Boris wrote:argghh .. I wanted to disqualify Frank's entry because of useing textures but that's geometry ... that's a very nice entry . I'm still waiting for the sundial. If you need a software to calculate the shadows of it have a look here: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/blateyron/sundi ... index.html

If I understand the rules correctly, it's not allowed to add light sources to the scene. So, how I should create a sundial? I've 4 fixed light sources and the additional flash light from the camera. The only idea, which come to my mind is to place an object directly in front of 3 light sources, so I have only 1 light source left as the sun. But the sun sends parallel rays, the 4 light sources are all point lights. So I think, the shadows would be wrong.

Solution?
Yogi

Postby zaug » Sunday 30. January 2005, 04:57

Closed ? But it is not midnight here yet ! :)
After Realsoft quitting about seven times one of which took the chains with it I cannot say, but around two hours.
Another thirty minutes to move that wonderful block of point lights around. I lowered their brightness and scaled the scene and still never came up with a result I was happy with. I did not know how much alteration was allowed; I hope this was alright.
BTW this is a somewhat difficult lighting setup to work with. I think it might be better to use one of Frank's spiffy setups for the next round (yes I remember what I said before).8o
BTW.2 Very nice watch Frank.

An Art Deco-ish Clock of my own design.

Zaug
It does not seem to wan to take the attachment. "(
zaug

Postby TheRookie » Sunday 30. January 2005, 09:40

Hi Zaug, Boris will contact you on that upload m8, he is wrapped up with writing an RS review for a magazine at the moment. Thanks for the comments on the lighting set-up perhaps we should have a speed modelling lighting contest soon!

I agree it can be difficult working with these basic lighting but I think the hope was to concentrate on the geometry aspect and create level playing field in lighting skills, I think a lighting contest would perhaps be good though then we could collect them up into a layers library and use them for future contests!?

PS: Brilliant work everyone.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby zaug » Sunday 30. January 2005, 11:32

It was my idiocy causing this; Thee attachment was 2k too big. And I was not paying attention so late last night.
Attachments
clock_comp.jpg
clock_comp.jpg (99.91 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
zaug

Postby geo » Sunday 30. January 2005, 20:43

Nice entries everyone. My own got fried when I tried to import it from 4.2 to 5.1. It wasn't good enough redo but the remnants might make a nice plinth :-)

Geo
geo

Postby TheRookie » Sunday 30. January 2005, 20:47

Very nice Zaug I had forgotten about the Grandfather clock too :) Nice model m8.

geo :)
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby zaug » Monday 31. January 2005, 00:33

Thank you Frank m8!
Can you see the case covered in quartersawn flame maple veneer and then finished with hand rubbed shellac ?
This was quite fun. While working on this and the cesium atom I was challenging myself to think and act as quickly as possible; things like "How is this going to be seen and how much detail does it need" and "OK I know how to construct this just get on with it" (macros are wonderful for speed modeling!)and of course "I'll just slam this up here ; can't see that part of it anyway".
I did not mean to be a complainer about the lights, it was just that the 4light setup did not seem to lend itself to anything too subtle ;)

Cheers and Praise to all for contributing,
Zaug
zaug

Previous

Return to Speed Modelling