Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Speed Modelling Session #3: Plinth

Speed Modelling Session #3: Plinth

Every two weeks we will start a new Speed Modelling Session. The modelling time will be a fixed, but typically between 1 and 4 hours depending on the subject of the topic.
Threads in this forum can be only opened by the moderators. Post your entry as a reply in the thread containing the session.
The modelling time will be fixed but texturing and Rendering time will be free.
It would be nice if the Models are included with the entry for publishing in the download area of the Render Daemon, however if you would like to keep the model private simply include a wireframe rendering as a part of the entry.
Voting for the winner will be in the contest gallery open for all registered users.

Moderators: Boris, TheRookie

Speed Modelling Session #3: Plinth

Postby TheRookie » Sunday 30. January 2005, 09:06

Welcome to the third Speed modeling challenge. This challenge is 'Plinth', for this contest a plinth is "A base on which a statue is placed" please don't put anything on your plinth, the plinth should stand alone. Perhaps a grassy disk or a disk of rubble, paving stones, etc.

The plinth can have materials applied so please take this into account when modeling. Also please use one of the default lighting set-ups in the layers library.

Duration: 2 Weeks(ish), closes Midnight (Forum Time) 12th February
Maximum Modeling and Texturing Time: 1 Hour
Maximum Image Size: 800 x 600

All work must be original, please include the name of the picture, your name and the modeling time on your image. We would be happy to see models released to the public so they can be placed into the library, however if you need to keep them private you must include a wireframe render as a part of your image.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby Milkdrop » Sunday 30. January 2005, 12:09

sounds interesting.

can Hdri and gi be allowed for this round?
Milkdrop

Postby Karl » Sunday 30. January 2005, 13:12

Hmm, I even have problems visualizing this one in my head, let alone putting it down in RS3D. Can you give an example?

Also, "use the default lightning"; can we adjust anything in these (falloff, color, intensities, positions, area size and quality, diffuse only etc), I find them to be too generic and simply unusable for any kind of lightning.

I guess that also takes away lighting with HDRI's which is probably fair since not all does this yet. But what about HDRI reflections? What about GI or Shading Studio?
Karl

Postby TheRookie » Sunday 30. January 2005, 17:29

Yes HDRI can be used as it is a form of material, yes please feel free to mess about with lighting settings colours and intensities, GI is also valid as it is a basic lighting setup.

Here is a very simple one to start people off.

Download the project here: -
Blue Tile Plinth
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Are you going to pay for that Sir?

Postby geo » Monday 31. January 2005, 08:55

Here's my offering. Unfortunately I dropped it while uploading it :-)

Done in Demo of RS 5, and I've just worked out the resolution of the output is limited.

File at http://users.skynet.be/gj/realsoft/plinth.zip

Geo
Attachments
plinth1.jpg
plinth1.jpg (22.3 KiB) Viewed 7677 times
geo

Postby TheRookie » Tuesday 1. February 2005, 20:27

Nice one Geo, what did you create the spiral from?
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby geo » Tuesday 1. February 2005, 21:11

Ta. Two identical spirals. A circle is swept along a spiral. Then that object is copied and shifted up slightly. The end blocks were made thick enough to cover the daggy bits at the ends of the spirals (rather than tidy them up.)
geo

Postby zaug » Friday 11. February 2005, 12:13

Here is a basic square plinth. Single SDS object and some modulo granite. 1 hr.
Here is the project file
www.catmtn.com/temp/plinth-object.r3d.zip

Zaug
Attachments
plinth1.jpg
plinth1.jpg (53.42 KiB) Viewed 7536 times
Last edited by zaug on Friday 11. February 2005, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
zaug

Postby zaug » Friday 11. February 2005, 13:06

Another one, all analyticals (love that rotator tool) with a simple noise bump reversed and subdued with some spec and reflection. 45 min.

Here is the project file
www.catmtn.com/temp/plinth2.r3d.zip

Zaug
Attachments
plinth2.jpg
plinth2.jpg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 7537 times
zaug

Postby TheRookie » Friday 11. February 2005, 21:15

Excellent job Zaug on both of those plinths :) I thought there were going to be no other entries they will make great bases for models and look really good!
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby TheRookie » Friday 11. February 2005, 22:58

Zaug inspired me to do another one I will try and get a third in by tommorow :)

Download the project here: -
Grassy Plinth
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Plinth

Postby Graf » Saturday 12. February 2005, 13:01

This is my proposition, created from SDS cylinder, time c. 1 hour. Done in RS 4.5 SE.

link to project
http://www.rs3d.republika.pl/plinth.zip

Graf
Graf

Tissue-Plinth

Postby Yogi » Saturday 12. February 2005, 21:02

Ok, here is my entry: Tissue-Plinth.

When you have a small statue you will place it on the right place: a block of stone, covered with a tissue of purpur. :-)

It's based on Nurbs.
I've only used standard materials, where I simply changed the color.

The project-file: http://realsoft3d.turboland.de/project- ... Plinth.r3d
Size: 631 kb
Attachments
Tissue-Plinth.jpg
Tissue-Plinth.jpg (64.05 KiB) Viewed 7465 times
Yogi

Postby TheRookie » Tuesday 15. February 2005, 20:59

Excellent work guys what a great spurt of plinths at the end :) I really like the ideas that people have come up with.

Needless to say the competition is now closed, my broadband connection was down over the weekend so I was unable to get ti sorted then. Thank you very much for the entries and I will assemble all of these plinths in to a cool layers library too. Congradulations and good luck in the judging!
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby Admin » Monday 21. February 2005, 20:40

Apologies for setting up the voting so late. I had a little personal downtime but now I'm back :)
That are very nice entries!

It's a pitty! Looking at the count of pages the three speedmodelling session threads produced the interest at every speedmodelling session shrinks. If you have got some ideas for this session please don't hesitate to post it. I'm not sure if it was a good idea to restrict the challenge on lighting and shadeing. I would really like to read some opinions!
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Speed Modelling