Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Nexyz

Nexyz

Postby Boris » Thursday 4. August 2005, 18:06

Nexyz wrote:Question: I was going to pose Yoda the way I want him and get started on modelling clothes..
What I want to know is, whether there's a problem with creating facial poses on another (identical) yoda,
and simply importing them to the posed character...?
Same for UVsets.. can I simply transfer them? Or should I take care of all this, before I put him in pose?

if the both models are equal it shouldn't be a problem to import the poses you've done. The UV sets will be a problem with this again. But I've found a way to reuse them. It needs to be again a model with the same geometry. No problem if it looks different or so. The point count must be the same. Then you can take the with uv-sets textured model and load the untextured posing model and use morphing to make the textured model looking the same like the untextured model (with the poses).
I hope this makes sense what I've written :hmm:
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby TheRookie » Saturday 6. August 2005, 07:33

Very nice work on this project Daniel it looks really great, your capturing the character very well indeed.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby Nexyz » Wednesday 10. August 2005, 10:55

Hey everybody,
thank you a lot, boris. I'm now confidently going this route :msgoodguy:
And Frank, wow, that is a great coming you.
I'm the San Diego Compliment Appreciation Station :dance:

I've got to apologize for the delay of postworthy advances.. I'm playing around with facial poses.. and as some of us may know, this stuff is addictive.. :rof:

Cya all tomorrow, I hope.
Daniel
-New Homepage-
http://"www.richtermeister.com"
Nexyz

Postby Nexyz » Thursday 18. August 2005, 20:42

Hey everybody,

long has it been, I apologize (summertime distractions :beer: ).
I've been playing around with the final posing of my characters. There's still plenty to do, but here's a preliminary composition to show that I'm still alive.

I'm looking forward for whatever feedback you can offer, because I'll have to settle for the final pose rather soon, and I still have to modell plenty of cloth... :faint: insert my second character, and brush up the background...

Cy'all soon.
Daniel
-New Homepage-
Nexyz

Postby Blockbuster » Friday 19. August 2005, 16:35

he looks darned well, very nice modeling and textured.

little critic:

- at first blush I have the impression the laser sword to fired of the planet, perhaps the red color of the planet give the impression !
- at least one hand must hold the sword harder.

but i think the next scene with the second character looks other.

bye
Stefan
Blockbuster

Postby Timo » Thursday 25. August 2005, 10:41

Thought you might like this:
http://www.3d4all.org/foruns/showthread.php?t=7295&page=1
Poor Yoda sure is getting his share of ridicule ;)
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby Nexyz » Saturday 27. August 2005, 11:53

Omg Timo, this is hillarious :p'n'l:
I love it! I'm pretty impressed with the detail of the model etc,
but somehow a lot of it doesn't really make it all the way into the final image methinks..
Maybe that's just me.. :safesofa:

Anyways,
here's what going on in my project lately..
Easy to get lost in finetuning and detail work at this point,
so I'm open to any kind of criticism before it's too late.

Gotta say that I'm starting to like channels, at least for seperating parts for composition.
One thing that troubles me is that I can't seem to use the skeleton AND a loot@-object at the same time to control the eyes... They rotate around the spot where the pivot would have been if the skeleton had not moved them.. Annoying :computer:

Looking forward for feedback,
have a great day.
Daniel
-New Homepage-
Nexyz

Postby Robert » Saturday 27. August 2005, 15:43

Hi Daniel,
your Yoda looks very good and the planet in the background, too. But the scene is to dark, ok it can be that the sun is shinnig on my face at the moment :D and i don't see the details. And what is with Yodas hands, they are don't closed or is he holding the swort with his mindforces. :D

Ah and wy is " DARKYODA" fighting against Darth Vader, they are on the same site..or?

P.S. did you made the texture with VSL ? And where did you have acquisition the letters of Doom 3 ?
Bye,
Robert
-------------------------------------
Robert

Postby Nexyz » Saturday 27. August 2005, 16:12

Hey Robert,

I centainly hope that the sun is shining on you 8) Who wouldn't like that? ;)
But I also noticed that I've got a high screen brightness..
I'll have to check my manual for adjusting that to standard and repost a brighter image.

Yoda's hands have been updated in the project file, but I haven't composited him yet.. wanted to get Vader modelled first,
and yep, nicely observed, in the final image, Vader is going to be a clearly identifyable servant of the light side, thus completing the "reversal". (Argh! You made me give it away ;))

The texture's aren't really anything more than different specularities & reflection settings.. Plenty of Rubber on Vader, and a color, bump and the standard skin shader on yoda. Or did you have a specific one in mind?

The Font is called Diablo. One of my favorites :)
http://www.smackbomb.com/famousfonts/fonts/diablo.html
-New Homepage-
Nexyz

Postby Robert » Saturday 27. August 2005, 17:37

Oh, sorry i mean with my VSL-question the planet in the background !
Thank you for the link :wink:
Bye,
Robert
-------------------------------------
Robert

Postby TheRookie » Sunday 28. August 2005, 08:39

This is looking great and its nice to see work on a character based scene. My recommendations for improvements would be to place some yoda like bump mapping on his skin, a bit of work on Darths hand and an improvement in the lighting. The lighting in the scene is quite raw at the moment.

As Vader is black and quite reflective he could be difficult to light, it is probably work playing around with some unshaded shapes behind the background to give his suit some reflectivity. Its difficult to make a correct gamma setting these days people seam to have a lot of variation in the screen brightness. Is it also worth thinking about changing the colour of Vaders light sabre as it can be difficult to make strong reds and greens work together in an image.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby MacSlow » Tuesday 13. September 2005, 15:48

Nexyz wrote:Image

I really like your "Darth Yoda"!

If you like a some new inputs for lightsaber-effects may I point you to this. That's a scene I once did for the "Swords" section of the Realsoft3D model-library. Another tip I can share from my experiments is "abusing" the Röntgen-shader... ehm... Timo did I think... or was it Mark... not sure cannot remember. That can easily setup to provide a very convincing light-saber glow. If I could only find my .r3d file for that.

Best regards...

MacSlow
MacSlow

Postby Nexyz » Friday 30. September 2005, 19:46

Hey everybody,

nice to see this contest come to an end, not because it wasn't a lot of fun to do, but because now we can move on to THE NEXT ONE, hahaha :) I really appreciate all the help and advice I got over the last months. Hopefully we'll keep this up.

MacSlow, sorry for the late answer, but thanks a bunch for your file. Very helpful in understanding channels a little better.

Here's my final image

No major changes here, just a few small ones.
First, for the former picture I rendered the two characters individually with different light setups and composited them later in PS.
For this image here I decided to do it right though, and I played with one light setup that illuminates both of them nicely.
Took hours of setup time and days of testrenders, but I'm pretty happy with the result. First time I played with diffuse-only lights. Useful!

Other new additions are Darth_Yoda's fingernails and teeth. I also tried to give him a meaner expression.. I really liked facial poses for this, since I could just increase the weight of say a smirk from 1 to 2 or so, and it gave me a nice evil grin.. So many possibilities :)

Did a little work on the hands, so Yoda's now holding on to his weapon a little more. I explicitly wanted to have one hand open to suggest that he's pushing the sabre with it... Had no nerve to try motion blur for this, though it would have been nice. Vader's hand also got a little workover.

Then I should make a few confessions while I'm at it.. The smoke and sparks of Vader's chopped off hand are done in PS, since I've never played with particles and can't afford to waste days of rendertime to get it right. I'll practice though, I promise ;)
Also, the lightsabres use the PS glow effect and the planet is a bitmap. Didn't see much of a point in including it in the scene.

Biggest addition, although not entirely visible is a fully modelled shirt for the little guy, but that turned into a sad story when the project file became mysteriously unreadable after the first testrender. I decided to just go with the resulting image, since it was frustrating enough to modell the shirt ONCE alone, especially when this competition is for a CLOTH PLUGIN! hahaha, the irony.
Don't even get me started on Vader's cape... it's in the laundry!

Final render took about 5 hours for the characters and 2 hours for the room. I'm a wasteful guy though, so that's mainly due to generous render settings.

I guess this concludes this threat, it was a lot of fun, see you all in the next one. :)

Uh, and I will finish the UV texturing tutorial soon. Promise!
-New Homepage-
Nexyz

Postby Nexyz » Friday 30. September 2005, 20:02

Haaaaa, I knew I'd forget something... and the most important thing, too...

Ok, so here's the original Idea.. Vader was supposed to be white.. hence the force reversal title.
But, white light on white body.., that's easier said than done, and my non-existent VSL skills didn't help either.
Got a lot of good advice on the mailing list though, about giving him some black fallof for the contrast,
so I might revisit this image a little later. or A LOT later.. either way ;)

Daniel
-New Homepage-
Nexyz

Previous

Return to Contest WIP