Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Blockbuster - bridge contest - wip

Blockbuster - bridge contest - wip

Postby zaug » Friday 9. March 2007, 15:58

arjo,
Try moving further back from your monitor, and then turn your head to one side until you get the images to align. Once you get the images to come together you can move closer. Also relax, this is nothing that you eyes do not normally do; as it is what they do when you look at something very close up.
Concerning red/blue or red/cyan stereo images, commonly referred to as anaglyph 3D, they are obviously easier to view but result in a compromise in the colors in an image; the technique is really more suited to monochrome images.
Here are a couple links on how to produce anaglyph images:
http://www.larry-bolch.com/shade/anaglyph/
http://www.captain3d.com/stereo/html/tutorial.html
and the project file for my anaglyphic sphere entry for the CG sphere site; it has a good disparity to distance ratio for the cameras.
http://www.catmtn.com/temp/anaglyph_sphere.r3d
zaug

Postby Neico » Tuesday 13. March 2007, 21:21

Hi Arjo, Zaug,

Sorry I'm slow at responding to posts but I'm offline half of each week.

Cross-eyed technique ... firstly I think that left/right eye images need to be transposed for the cross-eyed method. Anyway, go cross-eyed and there will be four images, concentrate on the centre light and relax your eyes until there are only three of these main lights ... therefore the left and right images are now aligned ... relax further until this whole centre inage clears up and zips into focus and there it should be.

Hope this helps. Unfortunately I used a radical base separation for the stereo sets but it should still get there.

And no, I can't do the coloured glasses thing for these images at this time. I met a bloke who spent about 5,000 NZ$ on a full stereo movie theatre for himself using shutter glasses. He has software that can split images from DirectX or something.

Neil Cooke

Neil Cooke
Neico

Anaglyph

Postby Jojon » Saturday 7. April 2007, 12:09

Hrmmph, I guess I just can't do the magic eye thing... :7

..so, here's an attempt at red/cyan, for us who have a pair of those old glasses.
Attachments
bridge-anaglyph.jpg
bridge-anaglyph.jpg (248.7 KiB) Viewed 3191 times
Jojon

RE: Anaglyph

Postby arjo » Saturday 7. April 2007, 14:45

That works great!
arjo

RE: Anaglyph

Postby fre_ber » Saturday 7. April 2007, 17:52

Jojon, that is a really cool picture, however, those boards across the gap look like some serious pieces of lumber. Like wroshyr trees from Kashyyyk. :)
"He who re-invents the wheel, understands much better how a wheel works."
fre_ber

Re: RE: Anaglyph

Postby Jojon » Sunday 8. April 2007, 11:57

fre_ber wrote:those boards across the gap look like some serious pieces of lumber. Like wroshyr trees from Kashyyyk. :)

WRRRRRRrRRrRrrrruUUurrrRRRrh! :)

Actually I realise that *everything* in that scene looks badly out
of proportion. Can't quite say why, since all measurements seem reasonable
to me -- better do some research before grabbing the mouse next time.
(and also; not insisting on doing it without freeforms, that was pretty dumb.)
Jojon

RE: Re: RE: Anaglyph

Postby Neico » Wednesday 11. April 2007, 22:49

Hi Jojon,

Actually I realise that *everything* in that scene looks badly out
of proportion. Can't quite say why, since all measurements seem reasonable
to me

Perhaps the problem is the base separation measurement and the camera view. If the base separation is greater than the normal distance between eyes (about 60mm from memory) then the scene will look smaller. If the base separation of the cameras is less than the 60mm then the scene will appear larger. Coupled with this is the focal length of the camera lens. The normal eye view is around 55mm focal length for a 35mm Camera. If you use a wider angle lens equivalent you might try bringing the camera separation distance closer. Conclusion: set your left and right eye render camera to 55mm and shift them only 60mm apart in a 1:1 scale scene and maybe the proportions will sort themselves out. Or maybe I'm wrong and its something else.

Hope it helps,

Neil Cooke
Neico

Re: RE: Re: RE: Anaglyph

Postby Jojon » Thursday 12. April 2007, 17:52

Neico wrote:Perhaps the problem is the base separation measurement and the camera view.

[snippety-snap]

Hope it helps

Base separation, as such, should be ok, but I am sure you have it right with the camera view. I did choose a rather wide angle view and was already then slighly concerned with how little I know about these focal lengths and scales and thingamajiggies, of which you speak. :)

Also; I have probably modelled with bad proportions all along, as well - even if every object seems decent enough on its own, as a whole there is something that disturbs the senses.

Many thanks for your suggestions!

About time I read up on photography theory...

There seems to be a general consensus about your contest entry entry, by the way... :)
Jojon

Previous

Return to Contest WIP