Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Refraction index in Real3D V3

Refraction index in Real3D V3

Refraction index in Real3D V3

Postby Jojon » Saturday 17. January 2009, 19:27

Nobody else seems to be writing anything, so I thought I'd just post this - how knows, maybe somebody even finds it mildly interesting...

Some time back, I was watching through a series of lectures posted on Youtube, by the University of California, Berkeley. The course was "Physics for future presidents", led by prof. Richard Muller and it is a great refresher on basic physics concepts, much recommended (seach for the user "ucberkeley". In one lecture there was talk about refractive indices in different materials and since the professor wrote down a few values, I figured I'd see what I might get out of old Real3D version 3, with those values. While it does not provide a way to input a spectrographic curve, the idea was that I'd try using the discreetly set apart RI values given for Red, Green and Blue respectively, render the image three times, with the different values and then combine the relevant colour components from each image into a final picture. This can of course not result in a proper result, but I felt compelled to try it anyway. :)

I modelled a diamond-ish shape by AND-ing four polymids (two with 8 sides, two with 16), made it white and attached the standard R3D3 glass material. I put it inside a grey cube, along with a single white light point and rendered. The diamond and cubic zirconia materials only differs from the glass in their refractive indices.

So, here are the results. They look kind of wierd: obviously using discreet steps with the refractive index, as opposed to a slope across the spectrum, does some damage. I am guessing that the grey areas towards the middle, may be an effect of the maximum 16 levels of refraction not being quite enough. The bright spot on the floor hammers home that if I want caustics, it is time I break free from my old Amiga fundamentalism and get a recent version of RS... :)
Attachments
RI_RGB_Test.jpg
RI_RGB_Test.jpg (139.28 KiB) Viewed 2556 times
Jojon

Re: Refraction index in Real3D V3

Postby __yra » Sunday 18. January 2009, 09:36

"...the idea was that I'd try using the discreetly set apart RI values given for Red, Green and Blue respectively..." - absolutely faithfull decision
__yra

Postby Jojon » Wednesday 21. January 2009, 19:35

__yra wrote:"...the idea was that I'd try using the discreetly set apart RI values given for Red, Green and Blue respectively..." - absolutely faithfull decision

Aha, always good to hear that one has understood *something* right-ish, in this big confusing world. :)

Now there's just the matter of the belated "flora" competition results. Have Boris lost interest? Anyone heard from him?
Jojon

Postby Spliney » Friday 8. May 2009, 20:12

haven't heard from Boris for quite some time now.. hope he's still around.
Robert
Spliney

Return to Finished Work