Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - So that's what that thing looks like...............

So that's what that thing looks like...............

So that's what that thing looks like...............

Postby zaug » Friday 4. February 2005, 18:21

I hope everyone is not sick of seeing this model but I thought that these showed off some of my work a little better than the ones a few months ago.

www.catmtn.com/images/safe-gi_comp.jpg

This image was produce entirely in Realsoft4.5 for Linux; and the version of the model on the right consists of over 160,000 surfaces, and both use a simple nurbs dome as a single special light; I made the dome huge and cranked up the light intensity to 50 and the samples at 20 for the left on and 15 on the right the left part took about fourand a half hours and the right part took a small eternity because I "the budding Linux Guru!" ;) did not notice a runaway process that was eating up a fair portion of my cpu an Athlon xp @1850, and additionally huge SDS objects such as the main gear seem to really slow things down.
I am sure this is not good enough to go too far in the Anamago comp but I think I might give it a go and am therefore open not just open to suggestions but am hoping for some. I did already notice that a couple of things need to be tweaked for alignment.

Thank you for looking,

Zaug
zaug

Postby zaug » Friday 4. February 2005, 18:59

Works from here and on the wife's machine. Not sure what's the matter; anyone else not getting it ?

Zaug
zaug

Postby onyx » Friday 4. February 2005, 19:13

Image could not be found....
www.bielenin.eu - online portfolio
onyx

Postby zaug » Friday 4. February 2005, 19:30

Sorry, for some reason my whole site is suddenly inaccessible (WTF?!). I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for trying,
Zaug
zaug

Postby zaug » Friday 4. February 2005, 20:00

I seems to be working now, for a few minutes my provider's homepage would not even come up.

Sorry for any wastes of time this caused.

Zaug
zaug

Postby TheRookie » Friday 4. February 2005, 20:53

Its a great and detailed model, I think if you buff it up and put something of public interest into it you will have a damn good animango entry. I love the work an care you have put into this unusual model, the render times are a bit high I think perhaps replacing some components with analyticals like the gears and then changing/tweaking the lighting setup might help.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby __yra » Friday 4. February 2005, 22:41

zaug - beautiful model :clap: :clap: :clap:
__yra

Postby zaug » Saturday 5. February 2005, 00:56

Frank and __yra,
Thank you both. Frank could you suggest something of public interest; do you mean perhaps one of Boris' "model" models ;) and yes analyticals-fix (simplify) the big gear and it's on with the micro-shader !

Zaug
zaug

Postby bt3d » Saturday 5. February 2005, 10:49

Hi Zaug,
it's a very nice and detailed model, so you just have to think about how to present it. For example you can do something like a 'fake' product visualisation or technical illustration. Or maybe you can try some intersting camera perspectives for a more artistic kind of view. Finaly play with the light and maybe materials and I'm sure you will get a really interesting image with this model. At the moment it just looks more like a wip modeling stage and less as a final image, since there is no real point of 'public' interest in the presentation. But I'm sure you are not far away from a really good image which you should definitly send to the animago.
Tim
bt3d

Postby TheRookie » Saturday 5. February 2005, 13:24

Yes I assume you do not want to do too much more modelling on it: off the top of my head how about: -

Putting the safe in the ground on the top of a grassy hill with a rainbow in the sky fading out onto the safe :D
A scattering of bricks around the outside and pile of rubble in the background for the classic blowing everything up except the safe look.
A safe open and a simple NURBS siloette standing in a pure white room with a crowbar in his hand.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby Milkdrop » Saturday 5. February 2005, 17:10

really really nice,

the modelling is very nice and detailed.

The render times are ridiculous. If my render takes more than an hour i just give up and find a solution. I find that lighting from a nurbs curve is the best way of using special lightgs, it takes lerss time and you kinda get a gi effect. I light my scenes with a 4 point nurbs rectangle. Look at my new audi tt renders in the modelling notes thread to get an idea, they each took 7 minutes at decent quality.

great work, great image, just needs some better presentation.
Milkdrop

Postby zaug » Saturday 5. February 2005, 21:00

Tim, yes I think I will work it on out into a new scene. It started out in an environment, there is a contest image somewhere, but I think it lacked interest as well not showing off the gears too well. I am working on "lightening up" the geometry to get quicker renders (after some good crits on irc ) allowing a more realistic time of tweaking the environment lighting to show off the geometry. (so you didn't like the micro shader idea ? ;)

Frank ;) !! Had considered the explosion idea already 8o or maybe the Elephant man's Bones............:)

Milkdrop, Yes I am improving the render times as I mention above, probably still won't make it in under an hour though ;) . Yes, your audi tt render thread was what initially inspired me to experiment with this type of lighting, very good for showing off intricate modeling (and finding mistakes).

Thanks to all for the feedback and kind words,
Zaug
zaug

Postby bt3d » Tuesday 15. February 2005, 14:48

Hi Zaug,
no, no try it with the micro look :) I just though it's a little bit big for such a look, but hey, maybe it's looking great.
Tim
bt3d

Postby geo » Friday 18. February 2005, 09:37

Hi Zaug,

I'm a bit late - I don't know if you were going to enter the contest, nor the deadline. Anyway, wanted to say that I, too, think it's a lovely safe :-) Is it a model of something real, or your fantasy?

I agree with the others that it would needs a context, but I can't suggest much. I need to know what motivated you to model it in the first place, then I would tell you to search for the context in that. Was it to show off the intricacies of the movement. I find it attractive in the way old steam engines are. - you can watch them and work out what all the bits do.

As well as showing off the details, I would like to see it in a scene that illustrates the paranoia that creates such a thing in the first place. If the safe were massive, say, against a little person protecting something from the outside world. Or a wall of safes, some open so you can show off both sides of the door. A simple context where the safe remains the star. Hmm - I'm talking too much two weeks after the post.

George
geo

Return to Finished Work