Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - "1000 ways to skin a cat..." how about an arm?

"1000 ways to skin a cat..." how about an arm?

"1000 ways to skin a cat..." how about an arm?

Postby Nexyz » Friday 25. March 2005, 17:12

Hey everybody,

I've modelled this arm here, and as I'm getting to the fingers, I wonder how I would best approach the texturing part that's going to follow.

I can't say that I understand UV mapping, this project is my first attempt to do that properly, so what I was wondering is if I should texturize each finger individually before I copy them and attach them to the hand...

Does texturizing even make sense at this stage, or would I have to wait till I have the arm attached to something before I try to unwrap it?

If anybody knows any tutorials for this, that would be great too...

Thanks for your help, have a great weekend.

Daniel[/img]
Nexyz

Postby Boris » Friday 25. March 2005, 20:20

Hi Daniel,
I was wondering why your image didn't showed up. So I uploaded it to a different place but same problem. Then I saw the "&" in the filename :) I replaced the "&" with "_" and all is fine. Here is Nexyz's nice modelled arm:

I would put uv-sets on the arm. I mostly use a uv-set for the upper and another for the lower side of the arm. This includes hand and fingers. Be sure to let the both uv-sets overlap each other to make the borders of them smooth with scopeing. You see the smooth edge at the hand in the rendered example.

Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Nexyz » Friday 25. March 2005, 21:46

Hey Boris, thanks for fixing my picture... I was a little puzzled myself but assumed everybody else would be able to see it...
ah well, never done learning, right?

UV Sets, hmm? haven't looked into that yet, but I'll do over the weekend.
Hope I can bother you with some more questions when I get back from Springbreak mexico, yeeeeehaa :beer:
-New Homepage-
http://"www.richtermeister.com"
Nexyz

Postby Nexyz » Wednesday 6. April 2005, 02:41

Hey everybody, hope all is well.

Thanks to Boris' help I have finally started looking into UV sets & texturing, and here are my first results...

Obviously, much refinement lies ahead, but the basic idea seems to work.
Any ideas how I can modify the skin shader to be more realistic?

And does anybody have ideas for the nails? Does a small amount of transparency make sense there?

Thanks for the help, I'll keep posting as I progress.

Daniel
Nexyz

Postby Boris » Saturday 9. April 2005, 20:02

hi Daniel,
sorry for the late feedback ... but now :)
here are some very nice skinshader:

First of all: Timo's SSSish. It does a very very good job but is dead slow esp in combination with nurbs hair. So I had to put it aside for my projects though it is my favourite. You'll find it here: http://koti.welho.com/tmikkola/materials.html

Then there is Andy Jones' skin shader which is the one I use atm. You'll find it here: http://www.pxl8.co.uk/skin_shader.htm

There is also the skin shader in Realsoft's speedtest project:
http://www.realsoft.fi/updates/benchmark This project contains also a very interesting procederal eye shader. I used it for this render of the DynAtomic pig : http://www.3ddart.com/wip/pig.jpg

Concerning the nails I would go for a slight transparency and make the underlying area more red than the rest of the object.

the bump veins of the hand are looking really good already!

how was the spring break? Already sober again? ;)
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Nexyz » Thursday 28. April 2005, 04:24

Hey everybody,

First, Boris, million thanks for your help here, I really appreciate,
and I apologize for my infrequent posts.. End of Semester crunch time.. :coffee: :

About the project,
I've actually decided to take the hand down the abstract route and render it in pure Black&White with extreme contrast... looks interesting..
I'll post a WIP soon.

For this I need to pose it a little better, though, and I'm currently experiencing the joys of: :rifle: rigging *krrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Most important question is how do you connect the fingers to the wrist?
It seems that I have to run bones through the hand, just like in a real hand, in order to get the knuckles bend the right way.. but then I can't control the entire palm of the hand. And if I run a joint into the palm, the finger bones don't pivor around the wrist any more...

Could somebody post some wires of how this is traditionally set up?
Also.. the skin between Thumb and Index seems to be pretty tricky as well. Or not? Maybe I'm using the wrong bone setup here...

One last thing: what about the way the knuckles pop out when you make a fist?
Is that something I should animate manually according to joint angle? Seems tedious...
:roll:

Thanks a lot for helping me with this,
wish you all a great day.

Daniel
Nexyz

Return to Work in Progress