Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Greeeny

Greeeny

Greeeny

Postby Nexyz » Sunday 22. May 2005, 09:43

Hey Everybody,

I just finished Area 51 on Xbox and had a sudden urge to build an alien,
and -as usual- didn't have the stick-to-it-ness to finish it.. so here's what came out instead... an ogre-alien hybrid, or whatever... :) at least it was a good modelling exercise.

WITHOUT a single TRI!!! Yehaaa :)

Next I tried texturing the green fellow, but something's bugging me:
the bump map produces a very grainy result, where I can basically count the pixel-steps, ALTHOUGH I'm already using a 5000*5000 map, which looks perfectly smooth to me, and a pretty moderate bump-height setting.. what am I doing wrong here?

Thank you for your help.
Have a great weekend.

Daniel
Nexyz

Postby Robert » Sunday 22. May 2005, 15:07

Hi Daniel,
it's very simple, take the smoothoptions in your BUMPOPTIONS to 0.01 or higher. You could take 3 or 4 places behind the dot, too (smaller). Example: 0.001 or 0.0001 - RS3D can't display this as figure but you can see it at the material preview ( so is it with many attributes) :)

P.S. a nice modell :wink:
Bye,
Robert
-------------------------------------
Robert

Postby Spliney » Sunday 22. May 2005, 22:10

Robert wrote:Hi Daniel,
Example: 0.001 or 0.0001 - RS3D can't display this as figure but you can see it at the material preview ( so is it with many attributes) :)

Not entirely correct. RS3D surely CAN display this as a figure. Simply open the preference (options) window, go to the Metrics tab and change the number of decimals from 2, to a value of 4 (or 9 if you like :lol: )

Robert (Spliney)
Spliney

Postby Robert » Monday 23. May 2005, 15:28

Thanks Robert, i didn't know that :oops: :wink:
Bye,
Robert
-------------------------------------
Robert

Postby Boris » Monday 23. May 2005, 20:25

oh yes ... that's very important for many tasks that you have 6 upto 10 decimals. For example the hdri/lightgen lights I have shared have intensitivity values in the range of 0,000001.
@Daniel: it would be of help if you would also show a lower rez of the texture to understand the problem. I wouldn't use the smooth function of RS because it slows down the render hard. I prefer smoothing with blur in photo prog. There is also an AA function in vsl. I got a vsl AA bump texture dummy shader from vesa which I'll post here as soon as my main pc is running again >:/ . But nevertheless this AA function solves other problems than this. This seems a problem of too strong bump values. Also I would suggest to build the bump texture with a new vsl shader:
surface geometry
- Bump height=Bump(Map coords)

Interpolation: Cubic

Don't use the vsl wizard for bumps! It uses SurfaceProperties which also won't be recognized for displacement mapping afaik.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Nexyz » Monday 23. May 2005, 20:58

Hey Boris,

I tried the smooth function, and it basically did the trick, but like you said.. I'd rather model the wrinkles than waiting hours for my renders.. I think the bump height was too high for one thing, and then I guess I wanted to paint details on him that are better to be modelled...
On the same token, would displacement mapping be of any use here? for major grooves on his face?
Because from what I thought, dispmapping only tells existing vertices how far to stand out... so for my head resolution it wouldn't make sense.. is that right?

Also, I'll try your shader variation. Curious about the difference. Thanks.

Daniel
-New Homepage-
http://"www.richtermeister.com"
Nexyz

Return to Work in Progress