Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Yet another WIP (revolver)...

Yet another WIP (revolver)...

Yet another WIP (revolver)...

Postby Karl » Friday 2. September 2005, 02:16

...that most likely will never get completed. I tried to import an old revolver I made for v3.x long time ago, but most of the boolean used failed badly so I started replacing those with SDS objects instead. The only boolean I will reuse is the barrel, which I have no idea how to recreate with SDS without getting myself into trouble.

Still a lot that needs attention, and also even to begin work with, but here is the WIP.
Attachments
RevolverWIP001.jpg
Revolver WIP.
RevolverWIP001.jpg (48.1 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
Karl

RE: Yet another WIP (revolver)...

Postby Nexyz » Friday 2. September 2005, 05:55

This is very nice!
Very detailed and no hard edges, except where they're supposed to be...
Is that HRDI lighting you're using, or an env. map?

Looking forward for the next version.
Daniel
-New Homepage-
http://"www.richtermeister.com"
Nexyz

RE: Yet another WIP (revolver)...

Postby TheRookie » Friday 2. September 2005, 21:02

Very nice work, good form on the gun although some of the edges on the barrel seam a little soft.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby Karl » Saturday 3. September 2005, 15:00

I only use a hdri for reflections, not for lighting which is pretty standard setup. I've been tweaking some of the parts and devoted a little time to materials. Still a long way to go though, but here are the tests so far. The tossed-around-parts picture was done just to see if the material "worked" correctly, and I don't think it looks too bad.
Attachments
RevolverWIP007.jpg
Revolver parts
RevolverWIP007.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
RevolverWIP004.jpg
Revolver assembled
RevolverWIP004.jpg (27.74 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
Karl

Postby TheRookie » Saturday 3. September 2005, 15:07

very nice progression on this, acurate with plenty of details. keep it up m8
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby Spliney » Saturday 3. September 2005, 21:30

Yup.. very cool revolver!! I like the parts picture too!
Did you put the revolver back together again under 35 seconds?? :shock:
Spliney

Postby Nexyz » Sunday 4. September 2005, 04:35

Hey Karl, this is getting better & better!

I'd like to know how you made all the nice grooves on trigger and the buttons (Displacement?),
and how you got circular brushing going on the... what's the word? Well, where the bullets go. :)

Considering the quality of your model.. how about a couple of more percent JPEG quality? ;)
(Don't shoot me...)

Daniel
-New Homepage-
Nexyz

Postby Karl » Sunday 4. September 2005, 16:38

Sure, 35 seconds was easy -- just a few undos :) The grooves on trigger and the drum opener button is bumpmapping only, not displacement. I use two maps for these sorts of things; one mapping primitive to define a scope user channel (i.e. a cylinder map that fits better), and a second parallel map to draw the bumps with curves. Even if the scoping works for the bumps, it is disregarded when displacement was activated. I orginally planned to use "all-in-one" materials, which ruled out UV mappings since U and V dirs doesn't yield anything (needed for anisotropic) - a bug. But I changed my mind and went for multimappings instead, in which uv-maps would have worked ok for these parts. Maybe I'll look into it again later on.

The circular grooves is normally done with just a diskmap, but I made it a little more complicated so that I could get anisotrophic speculars and corresponding bumps on both the cylinder "circular face" and the cylinder "outside wall" but with using two materials whose scope is setup to sortof (far from perfect) let one take over where the other fails. Until we get good builtin functions for this, it's the best way I could come up with. There is a trick utilizing the 4th input dimension on the noise operator that can make diskmaps tileable with noise without seam, but it costs too much so I didn't use it here.

Anisotropic specularity (scoped as mentioned above) is done with a modified fairly old anisotropic shader where I replaced the specular object with that found in the blinnphong shader. This gives the best results by far. I have never been able to get _anywhere_ with the anis material that comes with the package.

Tonight I have worked on the frame, the curvature under the cylinder (drum) didn't extend the full lenght of the cylinder. I also added room for the hammer/cock to dissappear into. A hole created for the trigger, but I'm not sure if it extends with that size all the way beyond the frame. The trigger ring will be separated from the main frame later on so it's not a biggie (hopefully). I created a basic grip as one SDS object, but have some weird curveatures I will have to look into later. I added bumps for the rifles inside the barrel, and threads for the outside. These ar "regular" bumpmaps with scoping done internally so I tried it out with displacement (see inset). Now, obviously these will need a lot of tweaking :) Finally I adjusted some materials a little, and setup more appropriate lighting for that pose; key (shadowmapped), 2 fills, and a backlight. All lights have natural falloff.

Ok, enough blabbing... I'm just waiting for the final picture to finish up :) Here is the picture. Still a long way from home.
Attachments
RevolverWIP009.jpg
RevolverWIP009.jpg (74.03 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
Karl

Postby Nexyz » Thursday 15. September 2005, 21:29

Hey Karl, sorry for the late response,
but I'm still flabbergasted by the metal shader, especially by how you control the direction of the grooves,
and how the light causes those complex reflections..
Let's just say that the peak of my metal-shading ability is drag&dropping the brushmetal material onto some object..
That's about it :)

I've heard Anisotropic mentioned before, but I'm not sure what that is.

If you could do a little "metal-for-dummys" explanation, I promise I'll build you a shrine! :pray:

Have a great day,
Daniel
-New Homepage-
Nexyz

Postby Karl » Sunday 18. September 2005, 21:41

Hehe, thanks. A shrine, huh? :D Well, I'm not sure I should be the one to try to explain to much. Better check the web for information from guys who knows this stuff much better than me -- I'm just experimenting :)

A couple of sites to check out are these:
http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education ... lights.htm

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education ... so_ref.htm

http://www.illuminatelabs.com/tutorials ... tions.html

I have been experimenting a little lately with both anisotropic highlights and true anisotropic reflections within Realsoft3D.

Anisotropic highlights (specular effect) is the "easy" one to do, both to create and render. Not much render impact on using such a material. Most of the time I find that the type I need most is the effect because an object has been produced by lathing. This creates small grooves that is the reason for the effect. The problem in Realsoft3D is that analyticals doesn't define material space, and you have to use mapping primitives, but these doesn't "wrap around" the way I think is needed. Using it on objects that have space defined, I find that the direction outputs doesn't produce anything at all, so you have to use mapping primitives on these as well :(

Maybe Realsoft could show us how to do this the proper way?

In the need to map differently depending on the normal, I have included here a small material that you should put in the layers directory. Simply select it and the required material is automatically inserted to your scene, with the proper setup needed automatically. A third material mapping define the microgrooves, tiny bumpmap effect. Even though it uses cylinder mapping, the noise should be seamless.

But specularity is only a "fake" reflection of a lightsource, so sometimes it is needed to do proper anisotropic _reflections_, and this is much harder to get within Realsoft3D. In fact, until recently I thought it was close to impossible (with my "skills" at least). Then again, due to the power needed to do this stuff, it is probably best to fake it and map a blurred enviroment map in, defined by secondary ray distance.

But if you want to do it trule the real hard-core way, you need to use a lot of ray samples, which obviously is going to take a lot more time that the classical supersharp reflection.

Here are some testrenders I did of this method:

So I have attached a method that seems to work ok. Put this also in your layers directory, and choose it from there. This is because there is alot more to it than just adding a material.

Load it in from the layers menu. Then choose one of the new rendersettings. Since this method deals with multiraytracing, the channels needs to be setup properly. It also adds the needed userchannels to your scene. Something I experimented with was to use postfx blur to blur out the samples if you use less samples, but I found that you had to use lots of scaling on the image to get good results, and the time would rise similarly to nonblurred 20 samples version. Would depend on the scene I guess. If you choose this you need to select the proper rendersetting, _and_ select a postfx effect in your setup.

Now, for the files (remember: layers direcory!):
Attachments
Anisotropic_madness.zip
Anisotropic reflections and specular effects, put in your layers dir.
(41.17 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Karl

Return to Work in Progress