Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Foggy windowshot... Or something

Foggy windowshot... Or something

Foggy windowshot... Or something

Postby Karl » Saturday 17. September 2005, 13:24

Hi

Since I don't want to accidentally ruin my revolver if I was using a buggy save function or whatever bad things that could happen to the version I'm using, I continued an old scene that was ruined in the previous version. The revolver will have to wait until a final SP2 is shipped.

The original idea was to test some GI with daylight in windows. Previously it would get noisy in the realms of just being plain buggy, so I left the idea. I tested it yesterday and it GI'ed just fine, no changes. Weird. So I started adding some stuff and rendered it out, GI will come later if it still works after all these tests I've done.

How is it made?

Room with stairs and two windows, main lightsource is a distant light from outside, with very mild helper lights on the inside. Also now three wall lights one of which can be seen.

I added a lightglow effect to the background plate, of all things. That makes it glow around the windows.

I oriented camera/input plane and made two polyhedrons that matched the windowshape. I put volumetric fog with shadows on these. This helps speed up the process enourmously, since there can only be fog within these polyhedrons. In order to make the lightglow work with a covering fog volume, I used a secondary ray shader on the fog, doing something like IF(Traced Ray:Glowtrigger)=1, THEN Constant 1->(Surface:Glowtrigger). Now the trigger channel is active on the fog only where the window area is visible. That's my theory at least, and it lookes as if it worked :) Think I used 35 volumetric samples on this.

Then I added a simple fog atmosphere object with just a little bit of turbidity to it to enhance the smoky feel.

Lastly I drew a fireman/thief siluette (no comments on the proporsions :D ) and added a couple of lensflares.

He would render very very washed out due to all the effect, so I changed his color into -10,-10,-10 to get some siluette back. Seemed to work that too.

Will now check if GI still works, really pushing my luck here I think :D

It all rendered pretty fast too I might say. This is just testing stuff, don't consider it a WIP even. But it rendered out like this:

Image[/img]
Karl

RE: Foggy windowshot... Or something

Postby TheRookie » Sunday 18. September 2005, 08:45

-10 -10 -10? the black hole burgular! Nice work on this image karl the lighting is very mmody but I particularly like the use of the lighutglow effect that is a very powerful tool and can add a great natural feel to a scene. Do you think that the very dark silouette of the character is effecting the aliasing at its edges though?
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Re: Foggy windowshot... Or something

Postby markh » Monday 31. October 2005, 21:26

Karl wrote:Will now check if GI still works, really pushing my luck here I think :D

It all rendered pretty fast too I might say. This is just testing stuff, don't consider it a WIP even.

Nice work Karl, sorry to post so late..
Your lighting is great, looks very natural, I would have sworn it was a GI scene!

Yeah, the GI system would probably get into trouble because of all the secundary and higher order rays caused by the fog shapes... that would be tricky.
If a ray hits a fog object, the Recursions channel should not increase!

Is it possible to fool the renderer and restore Recursions after hitting a fog object? I'll have to check that...
markh

Return to Work in Progress