Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Cola glass

Cola glass

Cola glass

Postby Blockbuster » Wednesday 18. January 2006, 19:53

here is my next scene, i try to make a photo realistic glass!
My reference is a very good glass tutorial, i have found it by google.
One fault is by the left site, the black reflection must to correctet on the environmemt.
I will correct it later !
Attachments
Glas_3.jpg
Glas_3.jpg (21.64 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Blockbuster

RE: Cola glass

Postby Guest » Saturday 21. January 2006, 16:47

Just some quick notes: avoid specular hightlights on glass. Specular highlights in 3D are an attempt to 'fake' the reflection of the light source. It's better you model a light source (or white card or whatever) to be reflected.
The shadow does look a little bit solid.
I'm not sure about the IOR. I would assume that there is more distortion when looking through the glass, but maybe I'm wrong.
Best
Tim

RE: Cola glass

Postby Timo » Saturday 21. January 2006, 18:06

Also note that the specular component works 'wrong' in the default glass material: it isn't affected by the viewing angle. As Tim said, it's better to use actual geometry.
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby Karl » Sunday 22. January 2006, 05:01

Agreed with both. But I will say that the enviroment itself provides very nice reflections here. One thing cought my eye though, and that is the difference in specularity within the glass and the glass reflection in the table. Is this really how it happens in real life? I don't think so, but..... Feel free to correct me, but I have a hard time seeing how a reflection can have different light properties than the actual object. I realize the maths, backwards tracing and all that, but "bugs" like this can be disturbing. I'd rather have a nonreflective floor, or provide the glass with backwards scattering specularity.

And yes, the glass should be improved if you use specularity; instead of assigning "Glass Color" to specular color, copy the reflection value (after it has been set) into a global variable and use this as basis for the specular color.

About the glass shadow -- a real sucky problem if you ask me, we had a discussion about it here.
Karl

Return to Work in Progress