Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Airlock

Airlock

Airlock

Postby [bot.]sage » Friday 3. February 2006, 15:23

A work in progress. Should be an airlock for a space vessel. The scene is raytraced in PAL resolution on a dual Athlon 2600+ and a dual Athlon 1600+ workstation. The scene holds 155122 surfaces and 66 light sources. Raytracing recursion is set to 4 with stochastic antialiasing level 2. Render time for the first image is 42 minutes and for the second one ca. 28 minutes.
Regards
Marc
Attachments
airlocktest_02.jpg
airlocktest_02.jpg (80.56 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
airlocktest_01.jpg
airlocktest_01.jpg (74.74 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
[bot.]sage

RE: Airlock

Postby [bot.]sage » Friday 3. February 2006, 15:28

The floor looks not like I want it and it eats much amount of raytracing time. Too much. Also memory consumption is very high of the scene and many details can´t be seen in the two shoots, but they exist, trust me.
Regards Marc
[bot.]sage

Postby Quan » Saturday 4. February 2006, 10:59

Wow! Looks nice! The shader of the wall is very good!
...programming VSL-Shaders is something I'll never learn :cry:

MFG Jan
Quan

Postby [bot.]sage » Tuesday 7. February 2006, 16:42

A new image, generated in ca. 45 minutes on a workstation. Ahm and about shaders: I have also no doubt about :cry: .
No critics and suggestions?
Regards Marc
Attachments
airlocktest_03.jpg
airlocktest_03.jpg (81.11 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
[bot.]sage

Postby __yra » Tuesday 7. February 2006, 20:33

All is good, only shadows do not suffice.
__yra

Postby [bot.]sage » Wednesday 8. February 2006, 13:22

Yes that is true. I used shadow mapping for the two main light sources, for sake of speed. Something I have to work on. I made it for a animation, but without a rendering cluster I see no light at the end of the tunnel.
[bot.]sage

Postby geo » Wednesday 8. February 2006, 19:50

It's nicely "atmospheric". Why so many lights when there is only one obvious source in the room? Maybe that's a way for speed?

I like the way the walls are scuffed up, but the floor and the containers are in perfect condition (actually they look better on the close-up - I mean they look worn). Does the fire extinguisher float in mid-space on purpose?

I like it. Can we see more?
geo

Postby [bot.]sage » Wednesday 8. February 2006, 22:00

Hi geo,
first there be two room light sources, the other lights are in most cases diffuse point lights, set to local, which emulate (a C64 on a PC) the neon tubes, they be only fake to light up the surrounding of the neon tubes. The aluminum of the boxes is not what I wanted, that is true, I should add some scratches. The fire distinguisher looks really like floating at the wall, I tried today a rendering without shadow maps, but set the quality for the light source only to one and that produces much more realistic shadows, but with the problem of hard edges. If I set it to higher quality the render time increases tremedous and for an animation with 25 frames per seconds raytracing would take years of calculation with my hardware. Could be that I can have better shadows with a higher shadow map resoulution, which I have to try. I am working on scene optimization for raytracing, but it's a different image creation process then rendering, I don't know if you have knowledge of the differences.
About the "can we see more?", time will decide, but I send the highres versions of this pictures most time to my friends in oversea ;-) , or do you live in oversea?
Regards and cheers
Marc
[bot.]sage

Postby Karl » Friday 10. February 2006, 12:46

Realsoft3D shadowmaps lacks bias control, which is used to move shadows back and forth depending on scale and needs. I know of a few workarounds which might help you out. You can use the "shadow-only light trick" which you can position closer to reduce the need for bias control. Check realsoft.info for this setup. Another way is if this would be a flythrough only with static lights/shading; precalculate decent shadows and map them on with texture mapping. Lastly, rendering volume lights with very bad resolution can be quick, then "fix" them using blurring with PostFX Studio somewhere on the RS3D installation (check the manual on how to use).

That's what I can think of at the moment.
Karl

Return to Work in Progress