Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - hand job

hand job

hand job

Postby geo » Friday 3. March 2006, 13:41

Howdy all. I'm making a hand as you can see. But I have a problem as usual.

I've made a skin texture and mapped it to the hand using UVsets (try to ignore that the texture looks like I put my hand in a toaster).

Now I've put a skeleton inside the thing and attached the hand. Trouble is when I move pose the hand the textures go awry as you can see in the second picture. Why should this be if the materials are set up to map to UV coords? If anyone can answer this I'll spend some time on a hires skin and post again.

Thanks for any suggestions
George
Attachments
whatthef3.jpg
whatthef3.jpg (36.92 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
geo

RE: hand job

Postby geo » Friday 3. March 2006, 22:11

ok here's something. There is one skeleton (I call it rightcarpel) that when moved modifies the objects UV coordinates. All the other skeletons behave as you would expect. So I've copied leftcarpel to replace the right and it seems to work better. Too late to rebind tonight as I'm soberish and there's crap on the telly.

Is it me? Where would the skeleton have become an individual? It seemed exactly the same as the others.
geo

Postby Boris » Sunday 5. March 2006, 21:35

Some guesses:

- the uv map on the one side got completely binded to only one skeleton while the other uv map got binded to right- and leftcarpel.

- maybe one time finger skeletons were attached to the carpel skeleton ... the other time not.

I'm not sure why you do a right and left carpel. I do the arm and attach the fingers at it.

The hand looks very nice already, maybe a bit flat but this will be cured with the posed skeleton, I think.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby geo » Monday 6. March 2006, 07:52

Thanks Boris. I worked out what happened I think. You can bind UV sets to bones, and I think I accidentally did so. I suppose if you did it on purpose you could animate the texture by posing, but I don't know how you would control the result.

I see what you mean by just doing fingers. It's much more logical now that I think about it, but I wasn't thinking ahead at the time, so I'll have to hand it to you. So armed with such knowledge better renders are afoot. Will post some results later.
Geo
geo

Postby geo » Tuesday 7. March 2006, 10:19

well here's an update on the hand front and back. I've taken Boris's suggestion and changed the skeleton. I know hand drawing is a good exercise for drawing classes, and so it is for 3d. Complicated little thing.

So I'll post a few pics. Finger shapes are still a bit funny, and you can see I should have used moisturizer for the last 20 years before taking the photos for the textures. In this photo the hand is textured with just a texture and bump map. More experiments follow.
Attachments
twohands.jpg
twohands.jpg (31.4 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
geo

Postby geo » Tuesday 7. March 2006, 10:21

Here I've added the skin texture (from sample, photorealistic) to the hands. I just disabled the colour part and turned down the shine. I realised as I was testing the posing mechanism that I had an entry for the contest on my hands :-)
Attachments
doggy.jpg
doggy.jpg (17.01 KiB) Viewed 2002 times
geo

Postby geo » Tuesday 7. March 2006, 10:29

And finally. I see that the texture on the back of the hand has moved with the bones and looks funny. I see now that the bones between the fingers and the wrist should not move sideways relative to one another. Will fix that later.

I'm posting this final one to ask questions. First bending the fingers (particularly the thumb) changes the shape of the crossection of the fingers too much. Is there a general guideline to control this. Probably a complicated question. It's not just increasing the density of the mesh. Is it too much to ask of skeletons to deform so much?

Second, when the fingers close on the broomstick they go straight through it. Is there collision detection in posing? I can't work out where.

Gotta run and do some real life stuff. This one rendered with GI as well to see if it made a difference.
Attachments
grabbing.jpg
grabbing.jpg (60.12 KiB) Viewed 1998 times
geo

Return to Work in Progress