Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Candle, Candle, Burning Bright

Candle, Candle, Burning Bright

Candle, Candle, Burning Bright

Postby websmythe » Saturday 14. October 2006, 09:21

Hi, I'm new to RS. About 2-3 weeks now. This is the first snapshot of my first RS project that I'm using as a learning vehicle to explore lighting and materials. Not so much worrying about the geometry at this point, I figure I'll stubble across what I need to clean it up sooner or later. At this point I've structured the levels in the file and applied very basic lighting and materials. For me the idea is to make it work, aka look correct realistically, while maintaining a stylized sortta monochrome-y look. That's the plan anyways... :)

For anyone interested, I got the model from "CGTalk Monthly Lighting Challenge #6 - Candle Light"...

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=395269

Check out this page in the thread for some interesting candle light photos at different exposures.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=395269&page=3&pp=15

Anyways, any comments or pointers definately welcome. No "answers" please, tho, I AM "trying" to work it out for myself (so far :))
websmythe

Postby Boris » Sunday 15. October 2006, 09:28

I think you should try to make the shadows much smoother and bring in some glow effect. I would tell more but you wrote that you don't want to get answers :scratchchin:

I tried this also. Quicky setup without much texturing:
Attachments
candle_challenge2.jpg
candle_challenge2.jpg (49.19 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby websmythe » Wednesday 18. October 2006, 19:48

Boris wrote:I think you should try to make the shadows much smoother and bring in some glow effect. I would tell more but you wrote that you don't want to get answers :scratchchin:
Probably will put 'some' glow in. I had been thinking about it. Personally, I find that adding/increasing contrast (clearer shadows) tricks the eye into more of a sense of realism, albeit a less painterly approach. But then again I did do a painting awhile back where I thought everything should be fuzzy, only to realize two months later that my eye site was going on me. :roll:

Fire away. It was technical answers that I was concerned about.

The other issue with this layout is picking the right camera angle. Still don't know that I'm happy with it. Although, I do like the bit of flash off the glass at this angle.

So, it just occured to me... is this the right forum for this kinda stuff or should this be more contest WIP stuff?
websmythe

Postby Boris » Wednesday 18. October 2006, 20:25

websmythe wrote:So, it just occured to me... is this the right forum for this kinda stuff or should this be more contest WIP stuff?

Yes, that it is the very right forum. The wip forum isn't for contest entries only.

If you look at the photos posted at cgtalk you'll notice that the shadows are also very smooth. I just concentrated on the shading at first. The most photorealistic success you'll get with GI. Most entries you see there are using it and also having smooth shadows.
Such hard shadows you won't find in reality in most cases. I'm not very advanced with this topic but I think very hard contrast rich shadows are mostly available in absolute dark environments with only one lightsource. In universe for example.

The photo examples made me think of using some flare fx instead of the glow.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby websmythe » Friday 27. October 2006, 05:39

Interesting what happens when ya start talking out an idea... Ala, the old adage that more time spent off the drawing table makes for better design. I guess, in the end, it's not actually photo-realisim that I want to accomplish. Thanx for making me think about it.

Interesting how I thought language was what our brain uses as our fundamental construct for thought, NOT! Well, mine anyways. :)
websmythe

Postby Karl » Monday 30. October 2006, 09:04

Hi

Since I'm at home today with a painful back, I figured I could still do something "useful" just to stay awake :) So here is an image closeup of a candleflame. It's a 1:1 crop from my D80 camera, and clearly shows transparent areas as well as an outer thin blue glow, especially on the lower end of the flame. The blue rim actually surpriced me a bit, since I though this only occured on lighter/gass/fuel type flames, not candle.

Low quality to stay below 100k.

I'm pretty sure I have a flame material that mimics this look pretty well, if it is of any interrest. I found an example rendering where I used it on this forum, here:
http://www.3ddart.org/index.php?name=PN ... opic&t=206

The photo:
Attachments
FlameCropLQ.jpg
Image of a burning candle flame
FlameCropLQ.jpg (93.11 KiB) Viewed 2502 times
Karl

Return to Work in Progress