Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Landscape Hills

Landscape Hills

Landscape Hills

Postby Neico » Friday 12. January 2007, 21:16

Hi

The mix is bump maps and library materials with changed parameters on SDS hills. Lighting is correct for the total image even though it looks very dark in the sample. Tests continue on bumps and materials. The question is what else can I try to get the hills more realistic.

Thanks, Neil Cooke
Attachments
BWv2dtl1-01.jpg
RealSoft 5.1, SP3.
BWv2dtl1-01.jpg (230.89 KiB) Viewed 1755 times
Neico

RE: Landscape Hills

Postby zaug » Tuesday 16. January 2007, 11:46

You could try displacement mapping instead of bump mapping; properly adjusted it should not affect render times too much. Also, the lighter streaks do not seem to fit, maybe bring their color closer to that of the main part of the hills. Perhaps, the mapping size for the darker streaks needs to be larger; it is competing with and detracting from, the effect of the bump mapping.
Overall, I think the materials are headed in the right direction but in general they need to be more subtle; try turning down the scope settings for each material and then bring them up one at a time.
zaug

Postby Neico » Wednesday 17. January 2007, 04:15

Thanks Z,

Yes, the light streaks make it look like an underwater "sun on the sand" effect.

The new attached image is based on the terrain material that is in the Samples Menu/Environments/Island and is fun to push around. Karl's noise controller was my next idea to try and now I will also have your recommendation of displacement mapping which I had completely forgotten about.

I had no luck with the bump pattern part of the terrain material and decided this was because of scale. So parallel mapped the bump pattern I had made in Photopaint which was more or less the same as the first sample. The effect here is like a sand dune more than anything and I have final rendered the whole image at 170megs since "sand" hills look good enough.

So, with the final render done I'm now on to another part of this project. Fun .... thanks again.
Attachments
BWx10kRQ-ggBB-dtlRHx800.jpg
BWx10kRQ-ggBB-dtlRHx800.jpg (237.77 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
Neico

Postby Neico » Wednesday 17. January 2007, 04:17

Forgot to mention that I also had the Harry Tut out since I was going to do scope mapping but the terrain material seemed to answer this reasonably well as mentioned.
Neico

Postby zaug » Wednesday 17. January 2007, 20:57

Looks quite good ! and you are most welcome : D
zaug

Return to Work in Progress