Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Sweep mesh constructor problem

Sweep mesh constructor problem

Moderator: Boris

Sweep mesh constructor problem

Postby fre_ber » Wednesday 3. November 2004, 20:19

Hello, again I present one of my strange problems.

I am creating a model of a road by sweeping a cross-section along a curve. The Cross-section is perfectly horizontal, it looks something like this:
Code: Select all
5-----4                              1-----0
      |                              |
      3------------------------------2

Where the numbers are the vertex numbers of this polygonal NURBS curve.

The sweeping curve starts about 50 cm to the right of vertex 0 at the exact same height as vertices 0, 1, 4 and 5. This curve smoothly defines the curvature of the road and it also changes height. The last vertex in the sweeping curve is 10 meters below the first point.

When I apply the sweep, the various cross-sections of the resulting mesh are no longer horizontal! The height of vertex 0 is different from the height of vertex 5. I could understand this behaviour if the sweeping curve was twisted along it's own axis, but it isn't. The y-axis at each point is perfectly vertical.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say? If so, do you have any suggestions on how to make sure that the cross-section curve only gets rotated around the y-axis during the sweep operation?

Another thing, if I extract the u curves from the sweeped mesh, they do not line up to the original mesh!?! I would want these curves to generate the exact same mesh when using the cross-section mesh constructor on them.
"He who re-invents the wheel, understands much better how a wheel works."
fre_ber

Postby Spliney » Wednesday 3. November 2004, 22:28

Hi Fre_ber
I tried to create a sweep and in my case it worked just fine. The curve you created is used as a profile curve. The other curve (the sweep curve) defines how the road should go (bend lefft, right, up and down). Right?
Make sure that the sweep curve is snapped to vertex 0, or vertex 5 before you make the sweep-mesh. And do not set the orthogonal checkbox. I suspect that if the sweepcurve is offset, you get the problems you experienced.
Hope this helps :)

Robert
Spliney

Postby fre_ber » Wednesday 3. November 2004, 23:18

Thanks, I will try to experiment a little bit more with this. But I think that I need to use the orthogonal mode since I want the road to be the same width all the way through the sweep. I still think that there might be something wrong with my sweep curve. Does the curve have a direction at each control point? The selection tool implies this by showing the coordinate axis when a point is selected. I would think that rotating the points around the curve itself would create some spiral shaped meshes.

Maybe it is because the directions are at each control point and not really on the curve itself?

Edit: About the offset, I want that because I need two parallel roads following the same sweep curve with one metre separation. But I will experiment with this too.
fre_ber

Postby arjo » Friday 5. November 2004, 08:29

Hi Fre_ber,

In this case you need two curves to sweep the profile of the road. In that case the road will stay horizontal even if you go up and down. If you use only one curve it will start banking. Now you must first choose the profile and then the two other curves. Do not check the orthogonal box. If it is too hard to get two parrallel curves it might be an idea to copy several profile curves, and use Xsect.

Arjo.
arjo

Postby fre_ber » Sunday 7. November 2004, 17:08

Ok, thanks. I ended up correcting each cross-section manually. First I created the sweep, then I extracted all u-curves, modified them to be horizontal and applied the cross-section constructor. But now I realized that the cross-section I sweeped is too narrow anyway - so I have to do it all over again.. :(
fre_ber

Return to Digital Sculpting / Modelling