Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - "Hello all" + So what's the deal with Tri's?

"Hello all" + So what's the deal with Tri's?

Moderator: Boris

"Hello all" + So what's the deal with Tri's?

Postby Nexyz » Saturday 29. January 2005, 08:41

Greetz fellow Realsofties,

I don't mean to hide behind a pseudo name, my real name is Daniel (Danny), I'm from Germany (Solingen) and currently study in San Diego (USA).
I haven't yet had the privilege to participate in this forum,
but for say two years I've been following with great interest and admiration how this talented community helps each other out, so I'd too like to become a regular participant and (in order to learn and eventually contribute) bug anyone who listens with tons of random questions I've been itching to ask.

So here goes:

I'm currently starting an organic SDS object and I've been reading that Triangular polygons are somewhat problematic and should be avoided...
I find it kind of hard to model without them though, and the model looks allright so far, so where's the tradeoff? In the animation or texturing part?
Or can I use Tri's in areas that won't be animated?
If Tri's are bad, how can I increase detail only in certain areas and leave others rather raw? What I mean is how do you create new vertices that don't have to lead to new lines running all over the entire model?
How about Quint's? (yeah, I think I just made that word up, but you know what I mean.. :wink: They seem to work well too...or not?

Then another question I have pertains UV mapping. (Sorry, I can't find anything usable in the manual, and the UV editor doesn't seem very self-explanatory)
As far as I understand it is a way to use one (or more) image as a texture and assign certain polygons to their respective areas. That's it, I don't get how it's done. :cry:
What I'd love to do is paint a texture of my pigface and distribute it over my model. I'm a little overwhelmed by the options I find for this. How do I do this?

This would be all for now, but I shall return soon.
You all felt the void for animated piggies out there! Don't fear, for I'm on it. :twisted:

Thanks you for your (greatly anticipated) help. :wink:
Nexyz

Postby Boris » Saturday 29. January 2005, 10:51

Welcome Danny aka Nexyz ,
non-quads are EVIL :twisted: no ... not so bad. But Non-quads are not so good to handle. They have to be aligned pretty perfectly to the surface of the model or you see lots of unwanted creases. Just bring one point of a non-quad out of shape and you'll see that the crease will be not nice while the crease of the quad will be fine. So right ... if you've got any non-quad in right order working because good aligned to the surface it won't hurt. But if this part gets animated, for example bend, then this non-quad might go out of alignment to the surface and will make those ugly creases.

I'll post later some of my methods to get rid of tris. I have to make some examples.

A mesh mainly done of quads looks much nicer imho. But that's more an aesthetic feeling ;)

the 3d painting is quite well explained in the manual. If you are useing v5 I would recommend to use uv-sets. They are most efficient:
- only the local part where the uv-set is gets the shader applied and calculated
- uv's can be handled seperate for each local texture
- useing several textures for one object can be blended quite easily useing a scope for the several uv-sets .

If you are useing v5.1 I can write a bit about the use of uv-sets but some things are also explained in the manual.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Milkdrop » Saturday 29. January 2005, 12:25

don't ever use triangles!, they produce aweful geometry, like Boris said, it shows creases. It probably shows creases becuase the SDS mesh is being smoothed out with nurbs. Nurbs cannot handle triangles to save its life.

Triangle do sometimes work okay with poly meshes, but realsoft is only sds. I find it is easier to model, by placing an sds face, by face, it takes ages, but you do end up with a perfect mesh.

nice to meet you, and i hope you enjoy this community.
Milkdrop

Postby onyx » Monday 31. January 2005, 17:06

Welcome to the Forum!
We need more active users here! :D
www.bielenin.eu - online portfolio
onyx

Return to Digital Sculpting / Modelling