Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Eyeball

Eyeball

Moderator: Boris

Eyeball

Postby TheRookie » Saturday 27. March 2004, 11:40

Here is an eyeball I did as an example for Colin on the mailing list, it came out a lot better than I expected though:-

I'm not sure what is to go in this forum but as this is a modelling/texture test and not a complete image nor is it a WIP as its complete I thought it would be best here.

The technique was taken from some excellent tutorials on the web, the eye is built from two objects the inside one has a dent in the front and is used for the colour of the eye, the outside object has a bulge in it for the eye lens and is made from abs.glass I left the blue tint of Abs.glass in deliberately as it gave it an interesting tint.

The iris texture was created in Photoshop with the assistance of my very old version of Kai's power tools. I laid down a foundation gradient to colour the Iris before applying some texture structure with Kai's texture explorer, before finally smudging some streaks into the colour. I then created an RS3D project to turn the iris into a disk before taking it back to my old Photoshop to paint on the snaking capillaries.

You can download the project here: -
http://www.frankdodd.screaming.net/ForumFiles/Eye.zip
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby __yra » Saturday 27. March 2004, 17:21

TheRookie - good eyeball. :)

The eyeball which we did together with Andy.
__yra

Postby TheRookie » Saturday 27. March 2004, 17:28

Very nice eyeball m8 and a great tutorial on the process and geometry too, do you have a final high quality render to post too?
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby __yra » Saturday 27. March 2004, 22:56

TheRookie - regrettably no.
The textures were very small.
This simply scholastic work.
:?

For fluent transition between texture was used Float Channel to Scope.
__yra

Postby colintheys » Sunday 28. March 2004, 08:15

Hey, thanks! Those are some nice eyeballs. Believe it or not, that's the same general technique I used as well. There are two deformed SDS spheres, one flat with an indent for the pupil and one bulging out for the cornea. The veins and the bump (that I will lesses at your suggestion!) are on the outer sphere. The eye tex itself is on the inner. Unfortunately, i was having trouble getting the outer shpere to be transparent and have color without having the diffuse shading blow the whole thing out. Weird. I ended up using the color map as a transparency map and just setting the color to near-black. The result, unfortunately, was that it looked much more bloodshot than I wanted.
This is a great topic and I'll post my eye too jsut for kicks when I get a chance. Maybe I'll even fix it first! :wink:

Thanks again!
-Colin
colintheys

Postby colintheys » Sunday 28. March 2004, 19:25

Alright, I went and rendered some pictures of my eyes to put on this post as well. I made some major improvements to the texture (almost entirely new) this morning based on these examples so thanks a lot! I've got pictures of the old eye and the new.

First off, here's the old eye:
and the new eye:

They use identical geometry, shown here:

Here's the texture:
and a link to the full-res texture: http://www.ctfilms.org/images/misc/04-03-28-eye5.jpg

I also use a veins only texture on the cornea and a copy with no veins to self-illuminate the eye. You can probaly see that I saved some of the veins from the last version.

I'd be interested to see anybody else's attempts to create eyes! They're often overlooked but can absolutely make the difference between a believable character and a fake one.

I still intend to go in and rework the eye socket. All the textures are parallel mapped, which is why I show the eye in its socket. It just looks bad floating on its own.
colintheys

Postby TheRookie » Monday 29. March 2004, 18:24

Very nice work Colin, I think that this looks like a definite improvment over the origonal post there is alot in this eye and it seams to work very well.
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby colintheys » Tuesday 30. March 2004, 01:22

One of the downsides with the transparent shell technique is that it won't work with GI. :/

Frank, your eye inspired me to try making a cartoon-style flat eye. I tried using a sds sphere and using a latice to deform it flat. It would only work properly if I created a custom sphere by smoothing a cube and scaling the points onto an analytic sphere with collission detection on. One of the things I would do differently if I were to redo this eye would be to make the sphere in that fashion, seeing as the normal sds spheres appear to be decisively not round!

btw, that abs glass blue tint is a very interesting technique. I could see it working almost like a gleam in an animation. Did you turn off cast shadows to improve render times b/c abs glass can be very slow in my experience?

-Colin
colintheys

Postby Boris » Thursday 1. April 2004, 19:59

@ Frank ... I think that this is good placed here. I think the edge around the iris is too pronounced and visible. In reality this edge is nearly invisible.
@ __yra: this shape of the eyeball might give some problems (though it is anatomically correct) while rotating the eye in the model because it is not completely round and might penetrate the eyelids or make gaps between eyelid and eye. Looks very nice!
@ Colin I make the same eyeballs like you. I'll get around the problem with gi in using a copy of the lights which I've used for the scene and make them lightsensitive (applying the lightsensitivity shader) so I can make the lights much lighter than the original and apply them to the iris ball with a channel value for the lightsensitivity.
Another possibility is to generate an illumination map for indirect lighting for the iris.
Combining the lightsensitivity and the illumap will give some good results with gi.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Spliney » Friday 25. June 2004, 21:25

I did a small tutorial on how to create a convincing human eye, just to show how easy it can be done. Part of the secret is a good texture though :)
see my website for the tute
Spliney

Return to Digital Sculpting / Modelling