Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Hair With Nurbs

Hair With Nurbs

Moderator: Boris

Hair With Nurbs

Postby Ville » Monday 25. December 2006, 16:35

I have tried to make woman character with sufficient hair. Nurb curves are too memory costly option.

Now I got just right hairs with nurbs surfaces, but hair material is a problem. I'm not a very good with VSL.The material should go along the uv.

Merry Christmas to all Realers!
[/img]

Postby Boris » Monday 25. December 2006, 23:20

this was the hair I did first with rs:
that was with scope mapping on a mesh:
http://www.3ddart.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=31
http://www.3ddart.com/hair.html (howto and shader)

that is really a cool shader and does often enough a very good job w/o the use of lots of nurbscurves.

The senorita was done with a "tricky" combination of raytraced and scanlined nurbs curves. Normally the renders I show here take about upto 10 mins (not more) but this render took over 8 hours only for full gi on the head and most of the hair:
:
http://www.3ddart.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=86

What was tricky?
All :P
The full raytracing hair was sh* ... The aliasing was horrible for the reallife diameter of 0.0025 centimetres. Vesa explained it to me by some physiscal laws which I didn't understood but the extract for me was that you'll get urgent problems if going under 0,1 mm diameter and if you are using raytraced nurgs. So the solution for me and making hair in RS for perfect in considerable rendertimes was:

- for the visible part of the hair take scanline Nurbs - here the aliasing probs won't happen.
Note: scanline hair you define for the nurbs curves in properties - spec - Rendering - scanline (check) .... uncheck raytrace

oki ... the visual output of the hair will be ok now but it won't cast any shadows or so. Now comes my trick ;)

I'll copy the scanline hair and make it now raytraceable. But .... I'll give it a bigger diameter to get rid of the AA probs. At least 0.2 diameter for head and tail of the nurbs seemed to be ok and mostly rid of AA probs.
Oki ... this hair is now thicker and doesn't look good ... we make it camera invisble "properties-gen-camera invisible" but it keeps existing with casting shadows or reflections (GI!).
Mostly you got the Nurbs in Interpolator containers and can define the interpolator count analog to diametre of the raytraced Nurbs ... what means that more thickness of the shadow casting curves you can use less interpolations or vice versa ;)

For a nice illu of the hair I take the example shader for shinyhair ..\Realsoft3D\tutorprojects\rendering\shinyhair.r3d

Combining scope mapped meshes and nurbs will be for sure also a good idea to make good looking hair.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Ville » Thursday 28. December 2006, 12:34

Thanks Boris!

I made hair with your instructions and now I can render complex hairs. Before this it took about 1 hour
to render even the simplest scenes with raytraced nurbs hairs. I will post later the outcome I rendered.
One problem still exists though, When I try pose my female character, should I use "multimapping" or "binding" for
model rigging? And what are the actual differences between these mapping types?

My earlier H.R Giger Alien was useles as I used multimapping with the model. When I tried to move the
skeleton it took about one minute to update the skeleton and model. I think that V6 should fix this issue as it is the thing
we all wan't in Realsoft. So please Realsoft, better character interaction in the next version :)

Return to Digital Sculpting / Modelling