Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - "Sponza"

"Sponza"

Realsoft 3D Discussion forum moderated by Vesa Meskanen, Realsoft OY

Moderator: vesamesk

"Sponza"

Postby Quan » Thursday 7. February 2008, 21:40

Hi!

Maybe you don't know the name, but I bet you all have seen the famous "Sponza" scene one time... just google the name.

I tried to edit and render this scene in Realsoft - but no chance ... even in wireframe mode Realsoft is very slow and when I try to change from polygonal to smooth ... CRASH!

Rendering the scene without textures and polygonal is impossible for me, too ...

...but the funny thing is: I tried the same thing with blender and everything worked fine! (although I had to leave out the textures as well .. but that has to do with my bad blender skills)
I rendered with YavRay Global Illumination (a simple light setup and everything set to smooth... what would be impossible in RS) in less than 5 minutes...

so please tell me your experiences with the sponza scene.

you can download it here:
http://hdri.cgtechniques.com/~sponza/files/

cheers,
Jan
Quan

Re:"Sponza"

Postby K-UDA » Friday 8. February 2008, 10:39

My Ver5.1SP4 did not crash.
I downloaded obj format file.
Which file did you download?
Attachments
GI_TEST_SPONZA_001.jpg
GI_TEST_SPONZA_001.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 4993 times
K-UDA

RE: Re:"Sponza"

Postby Timo » Friday 8. February 2008, 12:30

Quan, you shouldn't set it to smooth: this makes it an sds object. What you want is to import is as a triset (with smooth normals, which the mesh might provide). You might even be able to import the textures/materials with Ronnie's 3DS plugin. The obj mesh has 36347 faces, RS should handle that much easily.
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby Quan » Friday 8. February 2008, 13:13

Wow, thanks!
it was all my fault -- you're right. Thanks for that GREAT plugin, ronnie!

but how do I make the arcs and pillars look smooth now?
and there are some ugly texture failures, too...

the rendering was incredibly fast (14 sec)

have a look:
Attachments
sponza.JPG
polygonal and texture failures
sponza.JPG (42.09 KiB) Viewed 4972 times
Quan

Postby Quan » Friday 8. February 2008, 16:24

here is another one with "auto smoothed" triset (45°) and Global Illumination

rendered 27 minutes (that's okay, I think. I work with 1,8 Ghz and 1,2 gig DDR2 RAM and a 64mb graphics cards...)
Attachments
rendertest3.jpg
rendering in realsoft (27 minutes, Global Illumination)

brightness correction in photoshop
rendertest3.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 4959 times
Quan

Postby Blockbuster » Friday 8. February 2008, 23:14

Thanks Timo, I had the same trouble......
Blockbuster

Re: RE: Re:"Sponza"

Postby Ronnie » Monday 11. February 2008, 22:32

Quan wrote:Thanks for that GREAT plugin, ronnie!

Glad you find it useful, Quan.

Quan wrote:and there are some ugly texture failures, too...

Yes, the textures appear distorted after importing the scene. Not sure what is causing this because the texture coordinates seem to be imported correctly for the meshes -- In the OpenGL preview of the scene after importing objects as trisets and materials as "Object Properties" the textures are displayed correctly.
However, the render has all the textures distorted. Anyone knows why this is?
Attachments
OGL Screen.jpg
OpenGL preview
OGL Screen.jpg (91.89 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
Render.jpg
Rendered image
Render.jpg (59.64 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
Ronnie

RE: Re: RE: Re:"Sponza"

Postby Timo » Tuesday 12. February 2008, 09:11

This should be tested with simple objects, it's hard to tell where the fault lies with such a complex project. If the OGL view shows the textures correctly, it sure feels like a bug in RS.
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby Quan » Thursday 14. February 2008, 20:20

here is another one...

I think this one is better now, but some triangles (on the right side) seem to be too bright...
Attachments
rendertest5.jpg
rendertest5.jpg (68.63 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
Quan

Postby markheuy » Thursday 21. February 2008, 21:53

Nice one despite the artifacts. I finally installed the SDS+ plugin and managed to import the SDS version including lights and materials!
Thanks Ronnie, is there some documentation anywhere?
But I had to modify some of the materials (switch on TileX and TileY), and I'm still having trouble with the pillars... and other weird stuff.

Care to elaborate a bit on the import procedures? I have a feeling I'm re-inventing the wheel... TIA ;)
markheuy

Postby jhokkane » Monday 17. March 2008, 12:54

This subject sounded familiar, went through my files and yes, I had done some Realsoft 3D Sponza GI images back in 2005. I remember it was a hassle to import the textures, and some artifacts remained, as pointed out in the previous mails. I enclose one of those old renderings. The camera was set high up on the balcony. Only one point light was used.

Cheers
Jyrki
Attachments
sponza_gi.jpg
sponza_gi.jpg (59.33 KiB) Viewed 4379 times
jhokkane

Postby Blockbuster » Saturday 22. March 2008, 23:43

my Sponza rendertest 1.
I have found a way to combinate a extern AO rendering with Post Image effects, the Idea comes from Quan´s question in the user list.
I will do the example in a new thread with a another scene, but the Sponza scene isn´t good to AO test !

regards
Stefan
Attachments
Sponza_1.jpg
Sponza_1.jpg (93.66 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
Blockbuster

Re: "Sponza"

Postby zaug » Sunday 4. May 2008, 18:18

Hello All,
If anyone is still interested.....
I have made a tutorial concerning importing the Sponza Atrium GI scene, utilizing the Wink .swf authoring software.
It is far from perfect, but shows some of the potential of this great FREE! application. Addtionally, I learned a great deal about the process and am writing up some ideas and requirements for making similar tutorials.
To begin with, it is more of an animated tutorial rather than video.
I will also post the source file after there has been time for critiques and subsequent edits.

......download it here:
http://www.catmtn.com/rr/sponza1.swf
~6.5 meg
CheerZ!
zaug

Postby zaug » Friday 9. May 2008, 21:47

I have found an error and have posted a corrected version. I also have fixed several timing and other minor errors.
I had missed showing setting the point light to RT invisible.
http://www.catmtn.com/rr/sponza1.1.swf

Addtionally, I have put together a wiki page with tips and concepts about making sucha tutorial.

EDIT: Sorry here is the page:
http://rs3dwiki.the-final.info/index.php?title=Miscellaneous

More...
There are a few new things on the wiki, look for more soon.....
Better yet, add more soon.....
B P
zaug

Postby zaug » Saturday 10. May 2008, 10:11

Here is a render I though was interesting:

EDIT:Just noticed that images can be inked to load on the page; let me know if they are bogging it down to, much.

The scene is just the one from the import tutorial, with this GI_brightness_control curve:
curve5.jpg
curve5.jpg (32.13 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
zaug

Next

Return to General Discussion