Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Grayscale layering

Grayscale layering

Realsoft 3D Discussion forum moderated by Vesa Meskanen, Realsoft OY

Moderator: vesamesk

Grayscale layering

Postby stang » Friday 28. March 2008, 18:51

I've bought a carving machine that can carve wood in 3D relief. Unfortunately the only way to input new patterns is via grayscale jpg images. The shades of gray dictate how deep the router cuts. It uses 256 shades of gray to cut from surface to .8 inch deep. My problem is how to create those grayscale pictures of what I want carved.

Is there a way, after creating a model, to take that model and slice it into say 200 horizontal slices and then color those slices a shade of gray according to the vertical distance of the slice? Or at least color the model's skin with shades of gray according to the sample height?

A sample of the type of graphic I need to make is attached.

Thanks
stang
Attachments
Saguaro.jpg
Saguaro.jpg (39.69 KiB) Viewed 2176 times
stang

RE: Grayscale layering

Postby Quan » Friday 28. March 2008, 22:32

hi stang,

It's quite easy to create grayscale images depending on the hight of an object.
the following sheme describes, how you should set up the scene in Realsoft 3d.

You need a VSL Shader with a curve object to get the black-white gradient. I'm not good in explaining things, so I hope the image can help you.
Attachments
grayscale.jpg
Sheme
grayscale.jpg (85.59 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
Quan

RE: Grayscale layering

Postby Quan » Friday 28. March 2008, 22:36

Here is an image of a plant with the VSL Shader.
I attached the .r3d scene, too, so you can easily put in your own models

I hope I could help.
Jan
Attachments
grayscale.zip
(229.45 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
greyscale.jpg
greyscale.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
Quan

Re: RE: Grayscale layering

Postby stang » Wednesday 2. April 2008, 06:27

Quan wrote:Here is an image of a plant with the VSL Shader.

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply. The plant image looks like it may be what I'm after. The darker the gray the deeper the cutting would be or is it just a trick of shading?

I am not familiar with the VSL Shader. Are the shades of gray based on lighting location or the actual depth of the scene where the lighter leaves are closer to the screen than the darker leaves?

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Regards

Terry
stang

Postby Quan » Wednesday 2. April 2008, 19:40

Hi stang,

Yes, the white leaves are the closest to the camera.

I attached three other images to show you, how it works.
The first image shows the result (the image, that would be good for your wood carving)
The second and the third image show the scene in perspective mode... so you can see, that the leaves are closer to the camera than the ground..: the leaves are brighter than the ground.
The third image is a screenshot of the Realsoft viewport.

I hope, this helps.. :)
Jan
Attachments
stang_gray_orthogonal.jpg
stang_gray_orthogonal.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
stang_gray_perspective.jpg
stang_gray_perspective.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
stang_realsoft.JPG
stang_realsoft.JPG (72.92 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
Quan

Postby stang » Friday 4. April 2008, 19:18

Quan wrote:Hi stang,

The first image shows the result (the image, that would be good for your wood carving)

Hi again Jan,

I thought you might like to see what your image would look like if carved. The machine comes with software that provides a preview of a carving. Unfortunately the machine is not as detailed as I would like but your method of creating the image seems to be good. I tried to open the image in my Realsoft 3D but it would not load. Perhaps because I am using V4.5. Now I need to learn how to use the VSL Shader as well as Realsoft 3D. Guess what I'll be doing for the next week or two.

Regards
Terry
Attachments
test.jpg
test.jpg (201.22 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
stang

Return to General Discussion