Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - NEWBIE TUTORIALS - WELCOME TO RS3D

NEWBIE TUTORIALS - WELCOME TO RS3D

Realsoft 3D Discussion forum moderated by Vesa Meskanen, Realsoft OY

Moderator: vesamesk

NEWBIE TUTORIALS - WELCOME TO RS3D

Postby guest » Sunday 2. August 2009, 08:34

Greetings :

Have to start out by giving Frank Dodd a very big "Thanks" for taking the time to , not only contribute something almost every week to the Realsoft community , but for refraining from the typical "hey , look what I can do" , and instead showing us what any single one of us could do , and then for showing us exactly how to accomplish it . :yourock:

Frank would not only show us some awesome eye-candy , to get us drooling , but would then create a web page with step-by-step , and would always include a project or 2 so that we could simply play with his work and modify it and then be able to totally understand just exactly what he did , and what we can now do .

If it wasn't for people like Frank Dodd , I myself would have never been able to become as adept at RS as I eventually did manage to , even though I sadly , still only managed to scratch the immediate surface of RS3D. (there used to be others who would also contribute in a big way , like Andy Jones & Dustin McCartney and many more minor players who's names I've forgotten [very sorry])

Also sorry for the long preamble , but I should point out that one of the hardest things to do in 3D is to create a tutorial for newbies . It's 10 times the work of the typical 1 paragraph tutorial that is authored? by advanced users and just thrown out there , newbies be damned . Frank always 'took the time' .

Still , something is roughly 100 times better than nothing , so hats off to anyone who takes _some_ time to sit down and work , create and then share their discovery with the community , instead of just showing off their work and then keeping it wrapped up in a cloud of mystery , throwing us the odd bone but never revealing or hinting at how we can accomplish similar feats . Similar to the ones who promote RS3D and tell us how great their work is , but never show us any , even when the NDA expired years ago . I just don't get it anymore .

Human nature , I suppose . Anyway , of course I could never inspire anyone the same way that Frank inspired us so often for so many , many years , but hopefully I _can_ provide some insights into how RS3D requires us to work in order to attain certain specific results . I must take the time to point out that 1000 years from now , when 3D is as prevalent as H2O & air , the efforts of pioneers like Frank and many , many others , who's names may or may not be forgotten , will extrapolate and manifest in ways and means that we can never even imagine today , at the very beginning of this millennia .

The same goes for each and every one of you who create and share unique works . This is truly the dawn of a new and exciting and powerful and almost unlimited method of entertainment , a new way of life is about to emerge just as a new form of art has emerged , slowly , first at 8 Mhz and eventually at an uncompromised realtime speed . Our great grandchildren will be dead & gone before the true potential of this medium even begins to sink in ...

However , you are here , right now , at the birth of the Genesis , the dawn of the Nth dimension , and the 3D you do , the 3D you think ,
the 3d you say , the 3D you learn & teach will have an impact , perhaps not in your lifetime , but in the lifetime of 3D your efforts will not have been in vain . Forgotten , perhaps , but then again ...

Best advice I could ever give ? Pick a nut to crack , whether it be SDS modeling or video card optimizing or motherboard mod's , and then write a short/long tutorial that will allow others to be more productive , more creative , and slightly more open to new notions & concepts . Don't look for rewards or a pat on the back , because there won't be one . There will be a feeling of confidence from knowing that you have tackled unfamiliar territory and succeeded in gaining an upper hand , and then took some time from your valuable life to share that knowledge with your fellow 3D animators .

OK , a very big cheers to you all & as always , best of luck with your work !

TEXTURING SDS OBJECTS - the easier way - is a huge beginner tutorial covering most but not all facets of SDS texturing . This should get you going on SDS mapping (but not SDS modeling) . If you've tried using the UV Editor and went away scratching bald spots on your head , then take a look at the middle part of this tute for some help and advice .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute1

IMPORTING DIGITAL ELEVATION MAPS (DEM) IN RS3D-V6 - Thanks to Michael Schmeling's awesome DEM Import Modulewe can easily bring free real-world Earth and Mars terrain data straight into RS3D . This tute is about the plugin and also suggests and explains the use of the free softwares , 3DEM & Meshlab . Written for the Intermediate RS3D user but newbies should be able to follow along quite easily too .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute2

Camera Mapping a Gi/HDRI Scene - Camera Mapping is an awesome way to combine 2D video , or a 2D still (a photograph) with 3D objects or a 3D animation . It should be pointed out that this tutorial does not touch on the subject of 'Camera Matching' , but is actually an attempt to bring users up to speed with Gi lighting , HDRi Image Mapping and how to Camera Map an image in RS3D . Very long and in-depth but should get a newbie up to speed by the end of a weekend's worth of reading and working .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute3

AN INTRODUCTION TO VIDEO CAMERA MATCHING WITH RS3D - Another long beginners tute , but really worth the effort , in my opinion . Shows how to work with the awesome freeware 'icarus' software and how to then import the data into RS3D . Do not use any version other than icarus 2.09 - latest download link is http://www.mediafire.com/?3thbo45edn1 (or use Google) . Try it , you'll like it , then spring for Syntheyes (see tute for links and explanations) .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute4

PLANETARY PROJECT TUTORIAL - Finally a fun tutorial that deals with displacement mapping and procedural texturing . This is a good place to start and a weekend will slip by while your quad-core spits out tons of renders , all unique with only a few tweaks required to fully customize your look . One of my first and still one of my favorites .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute5

Juha Sinnari's Cool Fractal Shaders - Based on Richard Swingwoods awesome FREE Realman Plugin for RealsoftV5.x , this is also a really fun tutorial , but only for RS3D V5 , since Realman does not work with V6 . Realman might have been a little slow but the new Proc's make up for that . Email Richard and bug him to re-code RM so that it will work with V6/7 too . Those with the V5 coverdisk may like to try fractal creation inside RS3D . A beginners tute on the Wiki .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute6

LIGHTSENSITIVITY SHADER - A very basic tutorial that walks us through some useful areas of RS and of course introduces us to a very useful shader . A beginner tute but tweaking an object's ability to seem to be lighted properly is always welcome to both newbie and old pro .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute7

Interface Customizing - a brief explanation - RS3D allows for almost unlimited interface customization , if you know the tips and tricks , since this area of RS seems to be undocumented . This tute is just a short lesson in how to do some very simple tweaks to help speed up the creation process . The Planetary project is used as an example , but of course these tweaks can be applied at anytime . Wiki hosted .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute8

MATERIAL PREVIEWING - Can be very handy now that we have super fast processors and video cards . We don't have to settle for those tiny little default sized material previews but can make them much larger now , which may serve to cut back on final renders . Hosted on Bob denbroeder's ever changing web site .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute9

Distributed Rendering - A render farm is a beautiful thing but time after time we see that new users will be banging their heads against the wall trying to get one up and running . I know the feeling , trust me , and so created this simple tute to help with some of the issues involved . It's on the Wiki also , so please add any other useful tips that may come to mind .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute10

THE BOX RENDERING METHOD - Box rendering can save your life . I've had render projects where RS3D just simply ground to a halt in certain areas , for no rhyme or reason that I could find . 4 hour renders turned into 12 hour renders and sometimes resulted in a system crash . The solution for me was box rendering which allowed me to focus efforts on that one particular area and finally finish the job . Very detailed but easy to follow ( I hope ) .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute11

Chrome and Global Illumination in Realsoft 3D V4.5 - Old and obsolete , and still only useful to those who may want to explore the world of the 'Secondary Ray' (raycount2) . However , the ever present 'Cornell Box' is used to put the RSV4 render engine through it's paces , and it manages to come out looking pretty good , even though the engine was flawed in this one area . Reported to be fixed in V5 , but I haven't heard of anyone who has confirmed that .

Download the C-Box scene and try it yourself with V6/7 and see how it goes , or just have a quick look at the tute and see what you think of the seedy underbelly of the VSL Gi shader (or not) . Hosted on the RS.info site .

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute12

Well , I guess that's it for me . Here's the link to all these Tutes , on one page , if you care to bookmark
it for future reference . Much midnight oil was burned exploring these common areas of RS3D and so hopefully
not all is lost , but some good will come from those who enjoy reading and working with either the demo ,
the coverdisk or their brand spankin' new download of their very own RS3D Vx .

BFN (Bye For Now) & may your efforts live on !

http://tinyurl.com/rs3d-tute

Return to General Discussion