Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Version 6 thread

Version 6 thread

Realsoft 3D Discussion forum moderated by Vesa Meskanen, Realsoft OY

Moderator: vesamesk

Postby juhamaza » Saturday 5. August 2006, 10:42

Some day i would like to see this kind of nature tools/simulations http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_6/ <-Vue 6, watch Vue 6 Presentation Video, it looks really realistic. :shock:

Vue 6 New features: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vu ... w%20esprit

And most important feature what i would like to see in v.6 is much much better uv-mapping tools / texturing tools...
juhamaza

Postby Karl » Monday 7. August 2006, 08:25

Just a quickie, could easily be added to the next service pack as well I think. Maybe it's possible already, I just don't know how :p

Having Realsoft3D start up with a priority setting of "below average priority". This means that while rendering and we need to start a browser or something, Realsoft3D reduces it's load on the system temporarily to allow the starting, instead of having the start take a serious amount of time. When loaded, Realsoft3D again loads the system at full power.

Or are there other solutions I don't know about, than having to reduce the task priority every time I start the software?
Karl

Postby jounihat » Monday 7. August 2006, 10:34

Hi Karl! If you're running Realsoft on Linux, just start it with the command called "nice", like "nice realsoft". Then Realsoft will always use only the cpu available from other programs.

Edit: And if you change your Realsoft desktop icon to use nice, you don't have to start the program from command line every time.
Jouni Hätinen

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end, and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry
jounihat

Postby Ronnie » Monday 7. August 2006, 20:43

Hello Karl.

In windows this seems to work - Create a shortcut with the target
%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /c start /low /D"Startup dir" "Startup dir" "Realsoft exe" .
You can replace /low with /normal, /high and on win 2k or later /belownormal , /abovenormal .
Though i don't know why "Startup dir" must appear twice :?.

Here is more information.

Bye,
Ronnie.
Ronnie

Postby Karl » Monday 14. August 2006, 07:30

Ah, thanks lot Ronnie, much appreciated :)

I knew it had to be possible somehow, just never investigated.
Karl

RE: Version 6 thread

Postby juhamaza » Saturday 11. November 2006, 15:34

And possibility to import bledner-files.
http://www.blendernation.com/2006/05/18 ... -released/ <- and this would also work then if realsoft gets blender's importing possibility. Free motion tracking software for belnder. Called voodoo
juhamaza

Postby Timo » Monday 13. November 2006, 14:44

RSL has an isshadowray() function. This'd be nice to have in VSL as well: this way we could avoid heavy computation in surface properties for shadow rays. This'd also allow for a clean implementation of AO. RayTracer object could use a max distance value, which'd make AO faster (assuming that ray hit testing would be limited to the area inside of that distance). Lights could have channels for specular size and strength (although this can be done by hand).
When it is darkest, men see the stars.
Timo

Postby Karl » Sunday 19. November 2006, 10:31

Still, I'm not able to run at a belownormal priority. Don't know what 'm doing wrong, but have tried a number of syntaxes. I copied the normal RS3D shortcut and edited the target information into something like:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe "E:\Graphics\Raytrace\Realsoft\Realsoft3D\" /c start /belownormal Realsoft3D.exe

Also tried this:
%windir%\system32\cmd.exe /c start /low /D"E:\Graphics\Raytrace\Realsoft\Realsoft3D\" "E:\Graphics\Raytrace\Realsoft\Realsoft3D\" "Realsoft3D.exe"

All I get is "rdoops.dll" not found, which startled me a bit. So I tried starting manually from a command prompt, and got the same error message; I guess the paths are a bit screwed up on me somehow.

Any suggestions?
Karl

Postby Ronnie » Sunday 19. November 2006, 22:24

Hello Karl.

Don't know why it doesn't work for you. Starting Realsoft through cmd.exe is indeed annoying and may not work for everyone.
There are software packages such as Process Tamer (free) that dynamically adjust the priority of applications depending on their CPU usage, but I haven't used such applications and I can't comment on their effectiveness.

I made a small plugin ( RealPriority ) that adds support for a command line parameter that controls Realsoft's initial priority. The plugin works with Realsoft 4.2+ and Win98 or later. The attached zip archive contains the plugin and descriptions for installation and usage. Hope you find the plugin useful. See the attached file.

Karl, you can install my plugin and create a shortcut to Realsoft with the -prt2 parameter to start Realsoft with BelowNormal priority. The target of the shortcut should be
""E:\Graphics\Raytrace\Realsoft\Realsoft3D\Realsoft3d.exe" -prt2"

Bye,
Ronnie
Attachments
RealPriority.zip
RealPriority plugin for Realsoft3D 4.2+
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Ronnie

Postby Karl » Saturday 2. December 2006, 21:32

Hi Ronnie

Yes, this plugin seems to work. Thanks for the plugin, and for the effort. Maybe v6 should have this in it's startopts config? Hint hint :)

Karl
Karl

Postby fre_ber » Tuesday 1. May 2007, 11:00

I a way I hope that it is too late to request stuff for V6, but here is one that I have been thinking of for quite some time:

Adaptive render box sizes in distributed rendering based on render speed. A proposed algorithm is that the render starts with equal sized, small, boxes for each CPU then, if the render is fast for one CPU, the size of the next box is increased until all CPUs take about the same time to complete a box. Thus slow CPUs will keep rendering small boxes, fast CPUs will quickly start rendering larger boxes. I am not sure if this is optimal, but at least it will make sure that the fast CPUs do most of the work.
"He who re-invents the wheel, understands much better how a wheel works."
fre_ber

Postby guest » Sunday 2. December 2007, 03:45

So far V6 is looking good and sounding great ! One problem with V5 that got mentioned this past spring , was the fact that we cannot make a keyframe for other frames on the timeline . For instance , if we make a pose for a character , we can easily record that key to the current frame , but not to a key 50 frames away .

Morphing is an awesome and easy way to create movements ... just create keys and let RS do all the in-betweens . However , certain keys could easily be used over and over again . Ideally we would like to create a keys and then simply add them to the timeline every 30 or 60 frames in order to get a nice cycling effect .

Anyway , Vesa mentioned that this would be looked at for future versions. Just a mention in the hopes that this feature makes it into the first release of V6 !

cheers and thanks
garry

Postby guest » Monday 3. December 2007, 08:25

Hi :

Not sure if this is possible or desirable , but is it possible to model with metaballs , then somehow save that shape as an SDS or Nurbs model ? Metaball modeling may not be very popular , but still , the idea of constructing unique shapes in this manner might seem interesting to some .
thanks
garry

Postby vesamesk » Monday 3. December 2007, 13:56

Yes, the process is actually simple:
1. Model with metaballs
2. Select all sub metaballs (spheres) and delete them (the metaball level geometry does not change when all children gets deleted).
3. Apply ToSDS tool tho the metaball
4. Reduce poly count using SDS / Merge triangles to quads tool.

Best regards,
Vesa
vesamesk

Postby guest » Tuesday 4. December 2007, 08:19

Thanks Vesa .

I see that it works very easily . Interesting results . This process could come in handy for certain situations . Perhaps a 64 bit OS should be something on my horizon in order to access more memory and faster render times (next year) ? Something unique about metaballs , I think . Fun to work with of course . Looking forward to trying new things with metaballs and the V6 improvements !

cheers and thanks

garry

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion