Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Making the Bench animation - Things for Consideration

Making the Bench animation - Things for Consideration

Realsoft 3D Discussion forum moderated by Vesa Meskanen, Realsoft OY

Moderator: vesamesk

Making the Bench animation - Things for Consideration

Postby guest » Tuesday 20. March 2007, 05:52

For What It's Worth :

http://studiodynamics.net/list/metamorph.avi 4MB Xvid

Some issues discovered along the way while creating this project . Problems came when attempting to create and then choreograph these metaball objects .

Problem #1 - How to fill these font objects with metaballs ?

I couldn't find any way (easy or otherwise) of filling an object with 'Analytical Spheres' . I'm sure the Javascript people could come up with something or maybe even using lattice mapping or magnetism ...

I fell back to Real V3.53 and used the 'Create/Particles/Volume'
on the included Tube Fonts , and then brought them into RS3D for the cleaning up process . These were transformed into metaballs .

Problem #2 - You can't 'Morph' metaball objects . At least I could not find any way to do so . Tried various workarounds and gave up . Is this a bug , or me , or is it simply not possible ?

Problem #3 - Metaballs do not allow you to drop the underlying 'Analytical Spheres' to a Level . The metaballs were ~400 spheres and life would have been much easier if I could have dropped each of the fonts into it's own level inside the main (huge) metaball object , but once you do that the metaball losses it's meta .

Problem #4 - How do we choreograph these 400 "particles" ? The 'Choreography Window' is certainly not designed to work with particle clouds , and morphing doesn't work , so we have to use the 'Animation Recording' method , which doesn't sound so bad at first ... just turn on animation recording and move your metaball objects around and then play it back and modify , right ?

Well , getting our initial keyframes was actually very easy , but adding more "in-between" keyframes was a chore and required a workaround method . The problem was that as I moved away from one keyframe and toward another one the object would "morph" as I went . There were many times I would have preferred to be able to move along the timeline without the object constantly changing on me .

The best way of working would have been the ability to "mould" the object and then hit keyframe creator object that would ask me what frame-number I wanted this key to be placed at , current frame number , or otherwise .

For instance , I had a key at frame #99 that I wanted to be placed at frame #200 , but unfortunately I already had several keys between frame #99 and frame #200 . I couldn't just slide that #99 key forward to #200 because there were keys in the way , and if I just jumped to frame #200 I would loose the current pose I had constructed since the object would morph as I moved along the timeline .

The bottom line is that this drawback essentially made the
'Timeline' "linear" , when the preferred method of working has
and always will be , "non-linear" .

cheers

studio
Last edited by guest on Friday 23. March 2007, 03:11, edited 1 time in total.

Postby guest » Friday 23. March 2007, 03:09

Hi :

Vesa very quickly replied on the Realsoft mailing list about the above points mentioned . Very happy to say that several of the concerns are under consideration .

thanks

Return to General Discussion