Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Speed Modelling Sessions

Speed Modelling Sessions

Every two weeks we will start a new Speed Modelling Session. The modelling time will be a fixed, but typically between 1 and 4 hours depending on the subject of the topic.
Threads in this forum can be only opened by the moderators. Post your entry as a reply in the thread containing the session.
The modelling time will be fixed but texturing and Rendering time will be free.
It would be nice if the Models are included with the entry for publishing in the download area of the Render Daemon, however if you would like to keep the model private simply include a wireframe rendering as a part of the entry.
Voting for the winner will be in the contest gallery open for all registered users.

Moderators: Boris, TheRookie

Speed Modelling Sessions

Postby Boris » Saturday 11. December 2004, 12:02

Every two weeks we will start a new Speed Modelling Session.
The modelling time will be a fixed, but typically between 1 and 4 hours depending on the subject of the topic. Threads in this forum can be only opened by the moderators. Post your entry as a reply in the thread containing the session.
The modelling time will be fixed but texturing and Rendering time will be free.

It would be nice if the Models are included with the entry for publishing in the download area of the Render Daemon, however if you would like to keep the model private simply include a wireframe rendering as a part of the entry.

Voting for the winner will be in the contest gallery open for all registered users.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Milkdrop » Saturday 11. December 2004, 16:37

very very nice idea.

I love speed modelling because i just don't seem to have time to build and model awesome models.
Milkdrop

Postby Karl » Tuesday 4. January 2005, 04:32

Just curious, shouldn't the actual model be the subject of the vote? I mean, it's a speed modelling contest, not a rendering contest. As it looks, I'm just slightly leading the voting at the moment with a modelling effort@1 hour that clearly doesn't exceed some of the other entries. Seems that people are voting for the final result, complete with lightning and materials setup - which took me quite a while since I was lucky enough to have the hours to do it at the time.

Yes, it's a nice idea indeed, and quite funny to strive for a model in limited time. Nice to do when I'm lost in VSL world which seems to happen a lot lately :D
Karl

Postby Boris » Wednesday 5. January 2005, 22:15

I think your entry shows exactly the modelling was possible in one hour and is presented in the most photorealistic very nice lightened and shaded way . It's most impressive at the at-all-presentation and so the votes with the overall impression that's the best entry. Why to regulate this ?
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Guest » Thursday 17. March 2005, 07:35

Has speed modelling ended already? I did have two timepieces and two plinths, but none that I was happy enough with to share, so I decided not to submit. But I still like the idea, and enjoy watching others succeed where I fail :)

Karl

Postby zaug » Saturday 26. March 2005, 02:14

Karl,
First of all, do not make the same mistake that I made for so long by thinking that your work is not good enough to submit. The best thing you can do is post and wait for the crits, that is what will teach you about the things to consider and look for in your work in order to make it better. The people who will probably comment on your work are not only experienced and knowledgeable, but are also kind and very helpful. These competitions are really mainly to get people modeling and thinking in an focused,efficient manner; (it has worked for me :) not to put you on the carpet about your lack of abilities with Realsoft.
All that said, I do not know the fate of the speed modeling competitions as interest has waned by about fifty percent from the the first to the third comp, probably because too many people feel as you do about their work not being good enough ;)
Well, to that I say, post it, tell us about it, and maybe you will find that you are better than you thought. I know the encouragement I have received from this informal community has got me modeling things I never would have thought could possibly come from me.

Cheers,
Zaug

P.S. you have not failed until you have given up
zaug

Postby Boris » Saturday 9. April 2005, 22:52

to be honest ... the "great" feedback showed that there isn't enough interest to keep up this session. Maybe from time to time but not on a regular basis.
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Milkdrop » Monday 25. April 2005, 12:02

Hey people,

don't you think its about time we had another speed modelling session?

the forums arn't very active at the moment and it would be quite fun.

The last round wasn't succesful because I don't think the objective was very appealing,
Milkdrop

Postby rabe » Monday 25. April 2005, 13:39

OK, let´s try it.
rabe

Postby Yogi » Friday 29. April 2005, 21:47

The speed-modelling-session is a very special event. So I think, it should be better to make such session not really on a regullary basis.

The time-pieces were a very good idea, because it have enough room not only for a good technical modelling, but also provide a wide room for good ideas. For example the idea of the C14-atom! Technicaly very simple, but in the view of the idea itself, I think it was great!

For the audience I think it is better to provide a more practical event: Search for an example image, which is made in an other raytracing-package. How fast and how easy is it to recreate this image in Realsoft3D? And it would be a cool feature too, if the participant provide a notice, how they did it with Realsoft3D. Which special property of Realsoft3D they used to create the image fast and easy. So the audience, and the participants itself can directly learn from the contest. Even the developers of Realsoft3D are able to learn: If the participant write in his comment something like: "Raytracing-Package X provides this and that feature, but Realsoft3D doesn't, so at this point, Raytracing-Package X is faster and easier ...", they can think about this feature related to Realsoft3D!

But there's another thinking in my head to this "Speed contest": The scenes are easy, so even a participant which uses the demo-version of Realsoft3D are able to participate to the contest. This is a very important factor I think. So, look around for new users of Realsoft3D and invite them to the speed-modelling contest!

Good nicht, good fight. :-)
Yogi

Postby Boris » Saturday 30. April 2005, 07:18

Many thanks for the input!!!
I have only one problem that is the one with recreation of scenes which were done in other software. This would maybe make the people say that the little realsoft folks are too lazy to find there own inspirations. Also rendertimes are hard to compare with such an event. Package X uses only scanline for it's default render. It's no real wonder that it might be a good tad faster than the other package which uses real raytracing. Also the mesh topology of the several recreated meshes will vary and influence rendertime. Not to talk of different shaders, shader settings, lights and light settings..

I'm still not sure how to handle the final rendersetup. What you preferred. The use of Shaders and lighting is free of any limits or the limited version? I could also make two votings: one for the modelling and one for the presentation while the modelling voting weights 70% and presentation 30% or so.

Any topic suggestions are very welcome!
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby Yogi » Saturday 30. April 2005, 09:38

With "fast" I don't mean the speed of the rendering process, but the speed of the modelling process. How long does it take to model the scene in Realsoft3D.

But u are right, such a recreating contest would have the disadvantage of a very strong limited freedom of the design. Every entry would look like the others, more or less.
Yogi

Return to Speed Modelling