Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w0097c3c/rs-forum/phpBB3/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Realsoft Forum • View topic - Useless uh thingy

Useless uh thingy

Create a mechanical joint and proof with an animation that this joint works.
The session will end Monday, May 24, 2004 - 00:00 AM.

Useless uh thingy

Postby colintheys » Friday 21. May 2004, 01:15

Alright, here's my feeble attempt. It's not as cool as _yra's and I must admit I couldn't model a screw like geo's, so I sorta changed my plans last minute... yeah. The purpose of this joint is: to produce heat! It does nothing of any use. I must admit I couldn't get either animation to play on this computer at school... odd.

So, here's my animation: http://condor.wesleyan.edu/ctheys/mechanicaljoint.avi
and the file: http://condor.wesleyan.edu/ctheys/mechanicaljoint.r3d[/list]
colintheys

Postby Boris » Friday 21. May 2004, 06:13

hey Colin,
yeah the animation of the joint looks really cool. Also very convincing mechanics. Same question here: is it handmade or simulated?
What was your problem with modelling the screw?
Bye
Boris
Boris

Postby __yra » Friday 21. May 2004, 15:58

colintheys - splendid mechanics !!!
__yra

Postby geo » Friday 21. May 2004, 21:58

The animation is such fun. I've watched it 20 times trying to think what it reminded me of. Finally it hit me - it's our salad spinner :-) You have to make the stationary bit into a ring, though, and fill it with lettuce.

Otherwise just leave it as fun.
geo

Postby TheRookie » Sunday 23. May 2004, 20:04

Excellent work Colin its very realistic and impressive!
Frank "The Rookie" Dodd
TheRookie

Postby colintheys » Monday 24. May 2004, 04:42

Hey, thanks. :) It's hand-animated actually. I didn't try to simulate it because I was in a rush. :) The rotation of the second gear and the position of the vertical-thingy (technical terminology) have custom choreographs based on the hpb rotation of the central gear. So, you can actually grab the middle gear and spin it around and everything works, which is sort of fun. :)

A salad spinner, huh? You know, you're right! WHen I was a little kid I always used to be fascinated by salad spinners and I think I broke at least one trying to see how fast I could make it go, much to the displeasure of my mother, who was trying to make salad. hehe.

The screw thing... I don't know. I tried sweeping a nrubs curve along a helix, but it looked terrible, even with a lot of points on the curve. so I gave up. I've never really gotten Realsoft's NURBS modeling down. I generally use SDS or analytics. I thought about doing sds from a syninder and triangulating the sides, etc., but decided I was too lazy. :computer:
colintheys

Return to week session - create a mechanical joint